The Dark Mod Forums
stgatilov

Beta Testing 2.08

Hello to everyone!

Found an interesting behavior in Linux related to the FPS counter in menu (and in game) 😅

On Linux (by default), the FPS counter is kept at around 50.

If enabled option "Uncap FPS", then FPS will be 60. And the option "Max FPS" has no effect on this number of FPS.

Linux computer configuration:
cpu: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 (6 core, 3.4GHz)
ram: 16Gb
video card: AMD Radeon R9 280
OS: Xubuntu 20.04 (Linux 5.4.0-33, Mesa 20.0.4, amdgpu driver)

Checked this behavior in version 2.08_beta-007 (build 8755).

TDM_2.08beta7_UncapFPS-OFF_Linux.jpg

TDM_2.08beta7_UncapFPS-ON_Linux.jpg

If you have VSync enabled it's perfectly normal to get 60 FPS.

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

23 minutes ago, lowenz said:

If you have VSync enabled it's perfectly normal to get 60 FPS.

Thanks a lot 👍 Confused that in Windows this option is set to off, but there by default 60 fps (and with "Uncap FPS = OFF" too).

I remember there being some discussion about the lockpick red and green glows not displaying properly.

I don't know if anyone made a correction for this, but in beta7 I can barely see these glowing overlays. (they're properly red and green, but faint)

17 hours ago, grayman said:

I remember there being some discussion about the lockpick red and green glows not displaying properly.
I don't know if anyone made a correction for this, but in beta7 I can barely see these glowing overlays. (they're properly red and green, but faint)

Nobody did.
So far the problem does not reproduce when a developer wants, although many people have seen it at various times.

I too had noticed the overlays being solid black.

So blackness and faintness are afflicting these overlays

On 6/10/2020 at 2:28 PM, r.a.sattarov said:

Thanks a lot 👍 Confused that in Windows this option is set to off, but there by default 60 fps (and with "Uncap FPS = OFF" too).

I'm not sure if you got the fps issue solved or not. This might be related, but my experience relates to an Nvidia card and not an AMD.

I had vsync disabled and was still getting 60fps in TDM even after setting uncap to on, etc. In the case of the nvidia card, I needed to go into nvidiasettings and set the opengl performance slider to any value. In my case, I was changing the slider from "high quality" to "quality" and back again to "high quality". It didn't matter which setting I put it on, as long as I changed the quality setting before launching TDM. Then TDM would get 400 or 1000fps at the main menu, whichever the cap is set to (currently 400fps in TDM 2.08). I have no idea if an AMD card will behave this way.

• Like 1

Latest Mageia Linux Cauldron version blah blah blah. I'm done with updating 'uname -a' results in this sig.

On 5/17/2020 at 7:01 AM, Araneidae said:

OK.  It would have been easier if there was somewhere for me to upload the save file, but here are the steps (I've marked two steps which I think count as spoilers):

• Start a new mission for The King of Diamonds (difficulty irrelevant)
  • Go to initial rendezvous at 219.72 -27.49 274.25 23.3 70.2 0.0 as required in briefing, pick up documents as requested.
  •   Reveal hidden contents

Pickpocket key from engineer character, somewhere near -244.39 1132.31 52.7 -6.3 45.5 0.0

• Unlock door at 2082.19 1702.78 66.25 -7.9 58.3 0.0 (after picking door behind you)
  •   Reveal hidden contents

Climb onto pipe at 2547.04 1729.14 260.25 -9.7 -3.3 0.0

• Enter compound, go up stairs, go through door straightahead, go into loft, and reach locked door at 1754.17 3027.94 468.25 8.0 -21.6 0.0. 
  • This door is locked, is unpickable, and the key is held by the trapped character inside.  His coordinates are close to 2172.21 3014.55 439.48 15.7 176.0 0.0: to my surprise I was able to walk inside his character mode, which is where that coordinate comes from.

Please try this repaired version of King of Diamonds:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1g_DpaOp9NuqBeHsxbT3mv-ugIQ-nIs2E/view?usp=sharing

• Like 1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

On 6/11/2020 at 12:55 AM, grayman said:

I've just started seeing a very strange behaviour of the lockpick overlay: at the very start of a green lockpick a large opaque green octagon momentarily overlays the entire lockpick image.  Maybe there's a problem with my graphics?  I haven't rebooted for a while, have to do that and see if the issue goes away.

3 hours ago, Araneidae said:

I've just started seeing a very strange behaviour of the lockpick overlay: at the very start of a green lockpick a large opaque green octagon momentarily overlays the entire lockpick image.  Maybe there's a problem with my graphics?  I haven't rebooted for a while, have to do that and see if the issue goes away.

Same thing reported here:

Incidentally, I believe this has happened as far back as 2.06 but it has only recently been conspicuous and fairly reproducible.

• Like 1

Maybe the shader def is worth checking then. If there's a value boost for color, it was automatically clamped before 2.08. With 64-bit color, all the wrong RGB values (i.e. over 1, when not intended as such) will have higher brightness.

10 hours ago, Araneidae said:

That's definitely made a difference: our NPC is on the prowl at last!

Thanks for the confirmation. The repair has been uploaded to the mission repository.

• Like 1

beta208-08 has been released.
The list of changes is provided in its usual place.
Remember that you must download tdm_mirrors.txt again from the link in the original post before running tdm_update.

Hopefully, this would be the last one.

• Like 3

Issue (?)

In Fullscreen Mode the game literally ignores every not-native resolution, it always reverts to the native one after a different selection (if you have the classic FHD screen I mean 1280x720 or 3840x2160 via DSR/VSR) and related restarting.

Both GeForce and Radeon, Windows 10 x64 May 2020.

Edited by lowenz
  • Like 1

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

13 minutes ago, lowenz said:

Issue (?)

In Fullscreen Mode the game literally ignores every not-native resolution, it always reverts to the native one after a different selection (if you have the classic FHD screen I mean 1280x720 or 3840x2160 via DSR/VSR) and related restarting.

Both GeForce and Radeon, Windows 10 x64 May 2020.

I think it stands so since 2.06.
The ChangeDisplaySettings was disabled completely, so your OS resolution is never changed by TDM.

• Like 1

So why keep the option now that we have r_fboresolution? (Please extend the range to 2)

It belongs only to windowed mode.

Edited by lowenz

1 hour ago, lowenz said:

So why keep the option now that we have r_fboresolution? (Please extend the range to 2)
It belongs only to windowed mode.

I had some thoughts about graying it out when mode is not Windowed.
Also about graying FPS cap out when uncapped FPS is off (suggested by @r.a.sattarov).
It's just a matter of someone coming and doing it (as far as I understand, a pretty bug chunk of GUI code has to be added in order to make a setting gray out 😥)

P.S. You can set r_fboResolution to 2 in console, it's just the GUI slider which does not support supersampling.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stgatilov said:

P.S. You can set r_fboResolution to 2 in console, it's just the GUI slider which does not support supersampling.

Exactly, why locking the range to 1 as maximum? 😐

Edited by lowenz

Some people will try to set every graphical setting to its maximum if they have a decent system, but for something so ridiculously expensive like supersampling, that might be deceptive. I'd argue that it's an advanced setting for people who know what they're doing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's not that expensive via FBO, I got 34 FPS vs 66 FPS (MSAA 4x) in the same scene. A simple RX 570 (2017!) with the memory clocked to 2 GHz.

You only need bandwidth 😛

Edited by lowenz

Then I'd suspect you're testing the wrong scene, or your other settings are too light. Setting FBO resolution to 2 (which means 4x the pixels!) takes twice as much GPU time for my RTX 2080 Ti at the Briarwood Manor opening, for example. It's already impressive that it doesn't take 4x as much time, but it *is* by far the most expensive graphical option there is.

• Like 3

34 FPS, sorry, a typo! (wrote 43) !

Edited by lowenz

Same results with 4K desktop resolution!

4K -> 34 FPS

4K.jpg

4K+MSAA 4x -> 27 FPS

4-K-MSAA4x.jpg

4K FBOR2 (virtual 8K / 33,2 megapixel) -> 11 FPS

4K-FBOR2.jpg

Edited by lowenz