The Dark Mod Forums

Wishlist For Darkradiant

I just noticed this myself, and this gave me some serious WTF experience. An entire folder with crucial PHP files was empty and I had to reupload it. I checked the logs but couldn't find anything, so I hope there's nothing else missing.

With all these individuals filters it can get cluttered in the menu list plus tedious to click through 8 or 10. What I did long ago was set up favourites being a combination of the ones I use most in DarkRadiant/games/doom3.game. Downside is that it is all or nothing. You cannot subsequently turn off caulk on its own for example. But it is a quick way to clear away most of the clutter. Maybe there should be a default favourites for general use. I called mine !Favourites so it would go at the top of the menu list. Maybe it could be AllPopular or something...

<filtersystem>
	<filter name="!Favourites">
		<filterCriterion type="texture" match="textures/common/caulk" action="hide" />
		<filterCriterion type="texture" match="textures/common/collision" action="hide" />
		<filterCriterion type="texture" match="tdm_collision_.*" action="hide" />
		<filterCriterion type="texture" match="textures/editor/visportal" action="hide" />
		<filterCriterion type="texture" match="textures/common/nodraw" action="hide" />
		<filterCriterion type="texture" match="textures/darkmod/weather/.*" action="hide" />
		<filterCriterion type="texture" match="textures/common/(.*)_clip$" action="hide" />
		<filterCriterion type="texture" match="textures/common/clip(_plusmovables)*$" action="hide" />
		<filterCriterion type="texture" match="textures/common/moveableclipmodel" action="hide" />
		<filterCriterion type="texture" match="textures/common/ladder" action="hide" />
		<filterCriterion type="entityclass" match="path_corner" action="hide" />
	</filter>

<filter name="World geometry">
		<filterCriterion 
			type="enti.etc...

Now that Fidcal has taught me how to use the texture tool I have requests :)

Hopefully they'd be easy to implement.

I use UVUnwrap alot in Max which is very similar tool really, it has a few things we are missing though.

Mainly:

rotate tool

Scale tool

So you can select all vert and rotate on the fly or stretch them out uniformly. Right now I'm not sure how to do it other than the time consuming dragging single or grouped verts indiviually.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Ah, yes, I was thinking about these manipulation options back when I wrote the tool, but I skipped it and forgot about it then.

Feel free to add these to the tracker, but (as applicable to every new feature tracked these days) don't hold your breath about it. :)

Very difficult for me to move through a map the size of Blackheart in DR. Using filters, zoomed well in, and with camera off I find I can navigate somewhat in orthoview. I find roughly the location I think but want to view through camera. Camera update is off. I select something at random in the area.There is an option on the view > camera menu 'view through selection' but this has never worked. Then I remember. L for entity list. scan down for the entity I already have selected. Select it in the list. Camera is updated. Whatever function that is might be useful to substitute into that 'view through selection' or just 'view selection' maybe?

With maps that large, showing the AI models starts to become a performance issue on both of my systems (even worse on the one with crappy video card). I wonder if this entry could be revisited? If an AI model could optionally be shown as just its bounding box, AI models would be virtually free in DR displays.

Edit: Of course, other models are almost just as demanding, so I'm not suggesting we leave those behind and only address AI -- best would be a toggleable bbox mode encompassing all models, I suppose, or (much harder I'd imagine), a LOD system.

@Fidcal: I'm not sure I'm reading you right, but if I am:

-to jump camera to ortho view, ctrl-MMB a spot in ortho view

-to jump ortho view to camera, I select something in camera view, and then ctrl-tab (to cycle ortho views -- this centers on the selected object)

With maps that large, showing the AI models starts to become a performance issue on both of my systems (even worse on the one with crappy video card). I wonder if this entry could be revisited? If an AI model could optionally be shown as just its bounding box, AI models would be virtually free in DR displays.

Might also be that this was already partly addressed by the optimizations for rendering that greebo did. I am surprised that a simple wireframe view is so slow, computers nowadays shouldn't have any problem with a few hundred thousand triangles in wireframe...

Of course, having the option to toggle complex meshes off/on would be welcome.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

-to jump camera to ortho view, ctrl-MMB a spot in ortho view

Thanks, I thought that had stopped working when I disabled cam update. But all it was is that ctrl+MMB changes the camera view (my cam view is often almost hidden through lack of screen space) but doesn't always move the icon so I thought it wasn't working so stopped using it quite a while ago. If I ctrl+MMB then scroll orthoview slightly then it updates the icon as well. Damn, wish I'd realized.

But that only changes in two dimensions so you may need to change the orthoview and repeat. So a hot key, move to selection might still be useful?

• 3 weeks later...

I never even use render mode in DR, it's just too slow for me with a larger map, takes too long to turn on and off, and doesn't show shadows anyway.

I'm okay with just testing in-game. Since adjusted lighting doesn't require a dmap it's pretty fast to see, just have a Doom 3 windowed mode available, reload the map, voila.

But for smaller maps I would use render mode more often, and a brightness/gamma adjust on it would be good (although it looks fine on my laptop as is)

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

I can't find any gamma setting, only a textures gamma which can only be lowered and I can't see what it does anyway (doesn't seem to affect the 3D window at all)

Something I would like and I don't think would be too much trouble is more accuracy when defining the background image scale. At the moment it works in tenths but the jump in image size is quite significant and it's hard getting a good scale to most images without editing them in GIMP etc first. Is it possible to change it to work in hundreths? Or even adjust the scale parameters? (it ranges from 0.1 to 20.0 and I don't think I've ever used over 2.0) Hopefulyl that's not too difficult to do :)

Hmm, that seems to be a slightly differerent issue being discussed. :)

I've no problem with the offest controls and use the arrow keys to fine tune it. They do indeed work to hundredths but the image scale controls only work to tenths. Pretty sure I'm on an up to date version.

Is it possible to add a 're-select' option in the edit/selection menu that reselects the last group previously selected with 'select inside' etc?

I find myself often selecting a facade, elaborate door entrance, etc and moving it into position only the then find I want to tweak a small part which means the whole section needs moving a few units further. It would be great to be able to reselect those parts again instantaneously.

I feel your pain, but this is not easy, unfortunately.

The SelectionSystem is completely independent of the UndoSystem, i.e. selection states are not stored at all. There is already a request on the bugtracker to include the selection status into the UndoStack, but I don't think I will pull that off anytime soon. It requires quite some work, about one or two weeks of coding, I reckon.

What about a manual "save selection" hotkey? You could have the four parts selected, hit the hotkey saves simply the info of those four things selected. Later on after doing other things, you could hit the same hotkey (with nothing selected) and those four things light up.

If one or more of them has been deleted, name changed, etc, it simply wouldn't work at all (I think that's better than having three of them get selected, because you might "think" all four are selected and not realize something's missing)

• 1 month later...

I dont know if it was tells about it earlier but i wanna back to this topic.

Two things worry me.

Water and overlay texture (swiming) - I watched different games and i think is better to use fog under water than a overlay texture. Cound somewone try it?

Carrying chest - I beg! Bring back the normal movment of kept chests and reduce only the speed of walking with. Please.