The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

Hello,

I was building the mainhall and encountered another problem. Look at these two screenshots...

http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/4343/shot00019m.jpg

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/9775/shot00020z.jpg

It looks like it stops rendering the model at a specified angle (which varies depending on where you stand... sometimes you wont notice it, but like here, you DO).

Is there are work-around for this?

How did you create the torch specifically?

I used the model for the body - wall_gaslight03, and for the light - light_oilflame_movable_1. I just put them near eachother (of course to look naturally).

I replaced the dead link from the above post.

Edited by Snakebite

Hello,

I was building the mainhall and encountered another problem. Look at these two screenshots...

http://img717.images.../shot00019m.jpg

http://img526.images.../shot00020z.jpg

It looks like it stops rendering the model at a specified angle (which varies depending on where you stand... sometimes you wont notice it, but like here, you DO).

Is there are work-around for this?

Did you put a visportal across the ceiling? Is there a skybox behind that ceiling?

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

So when you say the torch remained lit you mean the illumination disappeared and the flame disappeared but model is still bright as if illuminated? Yes that is a known problem. Not sure if it is fixed in the next update. I'll see if can check.

[EDIT] No, there is no gaslight entity set up for this I'm afraid. Best I can suggest is treat it as non-exinguishable (ie, use a normal light not a flame entity) or accept it looks odd for now.

So when you say the torch remained lit you mean the illumination disappeared and the flame disappeared but model is still bright as if illuminated? Yes that is a known problem. Not sure if it is fixed in the next update. I'll see if can check.

[EDIT] No, there is no gaslight entity set up for this I'm afraid. Best I can suggest is treat it as non-exinguishable (ie, use a normal light not a flame entity) or accept it looks odd for now.

That's what happens.

I'll play around with other torch models but not many will fit best in the situation. Non-extinguishable is out of the question in this case.

Did you put a visportal across the ceiling? Is there a skybox behind that ceiling?

No, here's a few more pics of the roof in a larger view:

http://img52.imagesh...shot00023pu.jpg

http://img39.imagesh.../shot00022p.jpg

As you can see it's basically a scaled-up man_window_sky (or whatever they are called).

Here's what I did:

I took the original ceiling of the room and increased the height, and then made it into a room.

Removed the "floor" of that room.

Inserted the scaled-up model.

The model is now enclosed by brushes.

Actually, I also have just the same problem with my scaled-up st.lucia (you can see her in screenie 2). Basically if you get close and look down so you should barely see her, the model just dissapears. You can actually walk into the statue, and then get squashed when you move your view up so it reappears. :laugh:

It's bloody annoying though I really like that ceiling and it's beautiful with the rays in action.

Edited by KaiserJohan

Yeah that's looking very nice, could you zip up your map folder, change it's extension to .txt and post it in this thread and I can take a look at it tonight if you want, see if I get the same issues.

That's what happens.

I'll play around with other torch models but not many will fit best in the situation. Non-extinguishable is out of the question in this case.

Forget the models - they won't change by themselves just because a flame is nearby. Look in the entities under lights - probably an oil lamp is the nearest for what you want. These are set up to be extinguishable. I don't know but presume the model skin is then changed to go dark.

There is a gaslightglass_unlit texture, so either it isn't working properly (not sure if the translucent keyword makes it still seem to glow) or there is no skin set up for that model (I thought I had set them up for all the gaslights).

gaslightglass_unlit

{

noSelfShadow

noshadows

twosided

translucent

glass

forceoverlays

sort decal

qer_editorimage models/darkmod/props/textures/gaslight1_d_ed

{

maskcolor

map makealpha(models/darkmod/props/textures/gaslight1_d)

}

{

blend gl_dst_alpha, gl_one

maskalpha

cubeMap env/gen2

red Parm0

green Parm1

blue Parm2

}

}

Yeah that's looking very nice, could you zip up your map folder, change it's extension to .txt and post it in this thread and I can take a look at it tonight if you want, see if I get the same issues.

Wonderfull, here it comes!

The two buggy models:

1) The man_sky_window in the mainhall. Sometimes, at the edge of your vision, it dissapears completely.

2) The st.lucia statue in the mainhaill. It also dissappears at the edge of your vision, and walking into it kills you and propels you through the air!

Something must've gone wrong with 'rotation' property, which I used to scale up both models.

EDIT: Hmm how do I make the .rar into .txt extension?

Edited by KaiserJohan

Wonderfull, here it comes!

The two buggy models:

1) The man_sky_window in the mainhall. Sometimes, at the edge of your vision, it dissapears completely.

2) The st.lucia statue in the mainhaill. It also dissappears at the edge of your vision, and walking into it kills you and propels you through the air!

Something must've gone wrong with 'rotation' property, which I used to scale up both models.

EDIT: Hmm how do I make the .rar into .txt extension?

Right click the file, go "rename" delete the .rar on the end and change it to .txt

and then try attaching the file to your post

Using windows 7; 'rename' will only let you rename the name only, not the extension it seems :huh:

I hate that feature, it's been the default since what XP SP2 to hide file extensions for known file types? Why would you ever want that?

Okay I took a look at your map, the disappearing models is because you used the resize hack. Also I see lots of compile errors like you were seeing on the wall and that's because almost none of your brushes are snapped to grid. The entire main room with the nice ceiling has practically nothing snapped to grid, it's not even snapped to 1 or 0.125, it's just slightly off. It would be too much work for me to redo your entire map, but hey it's a learning exercise right?

What's in the map though is nice, it's a great start don't give up.

What we need to do is resize most models into 3 or 4 versions each, because the resize hack with rotation key is too buggy.

Or encourage mappers to think of Blender as another tool they can go to to re-size models without batting an eye.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Or encourage mappers to think of Blender as another tool they can go to to re-size models without batting an eye.

Yes that's true, but blender isn't the only one, lightwave also works doesn't it? And maybe 3DStudioMax?

We have learned that it's beneficial to convert complex multibrush-constructions like stairs, into func_static. But as AI pathfinding doesn't work on these we make a ramp with Monster clip...the problem I found is that this clip produces wrong footstepsound from AI...It's like the stonesound on my metal stairs :/

We have learned that it's beneficial to convert complex multibrush-constructions like stairs, into func_static. But as AI pathfinding doesn't work on these we make a ramp with Monster clip...the problem I found is that this clip produces wrong footstepsound from AI...It's like the stonesound on my metal stairs :/

What you do is make the ramp just below the steps. While the AI can't pathfind on entites, they will however "see" the ramp and attempt to walk up it, but will walk on the steps instead, producing the correct noises.

KJ: Don't be too put off the resize hack because it works fine for 95% + models. I think the problem here is with large models where the origin is 'behind' the player and doom3 thinks it no longer needs to render it. I had this problem with the Heart courtyard tower dome which was an enlarge ship skylight. It was never intended to climb up there so it was always OK until I enabled a bit more climbing. But that bug made sense because the original was very small so naturally doom3 thought it was way behind the player as you passed by. But your roof as I recall is huge so my guess is you've shrunk it rather than enlarged it so don't know why that problem is happening there.

I can only suggest you try this: Create a curved patch and endcap it. First search for the original roof texture. It might be possible to scroll it, size it to fit. If not perhaps one of the unlit windows with square panes might do?

Looking at the gaslight skins, the translucent one is the best and doesn't even need a special entity because it looks clear it looks naturally lit when there is a flame and unlit when extinguished. But we need a custom gas flame. I tried it with an oil flame and gave the _color a blue hue but the flame itself is still yellow. I see we do have a blue torch flame. I'll have to google to see what a gas flame looks like but I suspect it is under slight pressure.

After googling I see most gaslight showing as yellow flame. As I recall it depends on the air inlet. On a bunsen burner if you open up the air inlet it sucks in air and gives a more forced blueish flame. Gas cookers do this too. But what was common in Victorian gaslights I don't know.

KJ: I suggest you give your gaslight:

skin gaslight_translucent

Then inside put a...

light_candleflame_sp

Set its _color to about...

0.90 0.90 0.80

post-400-127692812194_thumb.jpg

I'm gonna give the bevel method a try. Otherwise, what would be a good tool to use? Since it's only two models, the quickest/easiest method is prefered :P

St.Lucia would be hard to fix with bevels though as she has a more difficult geometry.

EDIT: oh and is there any option to toggle always snap to grid? For example when I insert models and such they never seem to be snapped to grid by default. Eventually I forget it and just work around them instead of dealing with the huge problem of snapping all to grid and then chasing leaks -_-

Edited by KaiserJohan