The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

I've building a wall where the player shall be unable to mantle and the areas beyond is decoration. I guess this should be filled with monster_clip, but as the player also should be unable to get there, may I use a clip-brush to do both in one?

Yes.

Wrt monster clip, I read that if the player is inside a MC brush, AI can't see him. So if you put MC around a table model to make it easier for AI to avoid it, and you're thinking of running the brush all the way to the ceiling, be aware that if the player jumps up on the table, AI won't be able to see him. I tested this and it appears to be true.

Must have been something else. AI can see through monsterclip. They just regard it as inaccessible.

I always take monsterclip to the ceiling except for patches and entities that I want the AI to walk upon. I wonder if a brush that is 5000 units high takes up any more space in the map than one that is 100 units high. They are stored as corner points aren't they? Plus if you have an area to be blocked off you would need several or even many brushes whereas I would just fill the lot with one big brush.

Question of the day: is it possible to port Doom3 monsters into a TDM map? I would like to try something with them, but when I add a few, the map produces an error message while loading.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Another one: when assigning the "nodraw" texture to a brush, it disappears - doesn't become invisible, it disappears. I thought I had accidentally filtered out nodraw textures, but nope. Nodrawsolid works, and will be okay for this instance, but if I start adding swimmable water, I am bound to run into a problem.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

That did it! Thank you.

Question of the day: is it possible to port Doom3 monsters into a TDM map? I would like to try something with them, but when I add a few, the map produces an error message while loading.

As far as I know, TDM no longer supports D3 AI in code.

Is there something in specific which you want to use? i,e maybe someone would be interested in modeling/animating a similar monster if it fits into TDM type scenarios .

Above all, I would need a flying monster similar to lost souls (the detached head things).

In TDM-appropriate form, this might mean:

1) a flying skull or head, maybe semi-transparent/spectral

2) attacks: either melee or some sort of magical missile/firebolt.

If you know Arkhyn the demilich from Calendra's Legacy... he would be best. This guy:

calendraslegacy113.gif

I don't know how hard this would be to set up. In theory, a zombie or revenant head may serve as a model, and the existing undead voices (or some backwards talk like Thief apparitions, or the sighs of the damned...) would be appropriate. It is not something I absolutely need, and my FM is far, far from completion, but parts of it may appear empty if I don't have something similar to put there. In the worst case, even a fire elemental may have use, although that's pretty far from optimal.

Edited by Melan

We do have a fire elemental but it's not optimised yet. It's not a true free flyer but like the Thief ones. I remember setting those bats up and the fairy in the Nightwatch. You can vary the height with a bit of trickery but behind the scenes they are supported on an invisible stick as it were. I remember the bats opened the garden gate when they flew over the wall at 500 feet! I could have a look if some part of it would work with the release if you want.

Is there any way to lock worldspawn brushes, or other items, in place? I mean, I'd like to be able to set my outer worldspawn 'room' so that it cannot be edited or deleted without first 'unlocking' it.

I sometimes (rarely) accidentally select one of my outer brushes, which surrounds everything, and end up deleting it along with something that I wanted to delete. Then, of course, I get a leak when trying to dmap.

I'd love to see a feature in DM where things could be individually locked from editing until they are unlocked.

If this feature already exists, please excuse my newbness, but I saw nothing in any tutorials about this.

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

Must have been something else. AI can see through monsterclip. They just regard it as inaccessible.

I always take monsterclip to the ceiling except for patches and entities that I want the AI to walk upon. I wonder if a brush that is 5000 units high takes up any more space in the map than one that is 100 units high. They are stored as corner points aren't they? Plus if you have an area to be blocked off you would need several or even many brushes whereas I would just fill the lot with one big brush.

They are stored as the points in which infinite planes intersect.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

We do have a fire elemental but it's not optimised yet. It's not a true free flyer but like the Thief ones. I remember setting those bats up and the fairy in the Nightwatch. You can vary the height with a bit of trickery but behind the scenes they are supported on an invisible stick as it were. I remember the bats opened the garden gate when they flew over the wall at 500 feet! I could have a look if some part of it would work with the release if you want.

That would be good. I think I remember Doom's flyers could change height, and would often descend come from above or rise from below, so there may be a way to do it. But I don't wish to give you excess work, so I will take whatever I can. :) And again, it is not something I need right now - even at best, I will get to that point a few months down the line.

By the way, I have always meant to ask, how did you do the Alchemist in that FM? I didn't find its skin among the pk4's files, and the character isn't supported by the core mod yet! :unsure:

use layers! then you can assign the driffrent area´s (worldspawn, entitys e.c.t) to diffrent layers and turn off the ones you don´t work in!

Aha! Thank you. Layers is a feature I understand from doing photo editing. Never noticed layers being available in DR.

Aha! Thank you. Layers is a feature I understand from doing photo editing. Never noticed layers being available in DR.

Edit:

Hmm... probably never noticed layers before because there is nothing in any of the DR menus or buttons with the word "layer". I'll check the tutorials I guess.

Correction... found it in the right-click menu.

Edit02:

OK Thanks, that works like a charm!:)

Edited by PranQster

Or hit ctrl-alt-T and rearrange the verts in the tex editor for perfect alignment on tocuhing brushes.

The texture warping only appears after I start messing with vertices to align adjacent bevels that meet at a corner of a brush. Returning the vertices to their original position fixes the texture, but obviously looks bad. How do you guys correct this?

I don't know the exact situation but I just try all three methods:

Create or use a brush in the same plane

Copy and paste the shader

Or Copy and paste natural

Or Just set the scale you want as default and hit natural on Surface Inspector.

I'll take a brief look at the elemental. No idea if any part of it or the way it works will work in the release. I do recall it spat fire at the player much like Thief as I recall. Probably that can be made to spew anything, skulls, etc.

The Alchemist AI is:

atdm:ai_builder_priest_combatant

def_attach1 atdm:moveable_longsword

name_attach1 melee_weapon

def_head atdm:ai_head02_hood_black (needs def from def file in def folder and skin from skins folder in alchemist.pk4)

skin priest_black (needs skin from skins folder in alchemist.pk4)

atdm:ai_vocal_set_revenant_01

health 2000

ko_zone -

[edit] I think I also bound a skull to the front of his garment to obscure the obvious hammer sign

There is also the old man's head in the def which also needs the skin file. Might be of interest to others. I think it's the priest's head without his priest hat. This is a bit different to the noble old man and can be put on a commoner.

Too bad. Don't bother if it is too much work, I can manage without.

On the other hand... you once made a pretty spiffy "spectre" (translucent revenant) using a grayish see-through skin. I would really like to use those. :) Maybe I could give them a projectile attack when they are out of melee range... throwing skulls?

Edited by Melan

Mmm... I seem to recall some traslucent mini statues as loot and I did full size statue. I'd forgotten about those. I'll take a look

Here is the image you posted: [edit]My bad, it was actually Springheel who had created that ghost. Sorry!

post-2023-128258127282_thumb.jpg

How to fix wrong patches textures ?

1) select a brush face with the correct texture (usually Ctrl+Shift+click)

2) copy the texture on it (usually done with the middle mouse button)

3) paste it to the patch surface by Ctrl+clicking on it.

That should work for the side in your picture. However, the results are still going to be bad for the other (bevel) face. Here, you should

3) select the desired surface

4) Edit > Paste Shader (Natural)

Also note that your patch seems to be slightly out of plane with the brushwork. So, don't forget to have all your editing work grid snapped!

Edited by Melan

Above all, I would need a flying monster similar to lost souls (the detached head things).

In TDM-appropriate form, this might mean:

1) a flying skull or head, maybe semi-transparent/spectral

2) attacks: either melee or some sort of magical missile/firebolt.

If you know Arkhyn the demilich from Calendra's Legacy... he would be best. This guy:

calendraslegacy113.gif

I don't know how hard this would be to set up. In theory, a zombie or revenant head may serve as a model, and the existing undead voices (or some backwards talk like Thief apparitions, or the sighs of the damned...) would be appropriate. It is not something I absolutely need, and my FM is far, far from completion, but parts of it may appear empty if I don't have something similar to put there. In the worst case, even a fire elemental may have use, although that's pretty far from optimal.

Depends what you what really. If you just want a floating skull that would be real easy. It would just trol regular ground like all AI, not actually float, so it can't float over a table. But it just need animated above the origin bone (which always marks ground level).

The def files, etc... are a bit harder to get the AI to do what you want. But if you want a flying skull I co di it really fast, just need an obj file of the skull (maybe someone could import the current skull into Blender and export for me. I don't want to instal Blender but maybe I need to anyway)

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest