The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

having issues attaching a key to a builder_priest_combatant.

The key was from a metal chest prefab.

I renamed it church_key

I attached it to the ai with

def_attach3

church_key

pos_attach3

belt_back_right

(I had tried a 5 instead of 3 like wiki said but that also says failed to attach key when I try and go in game)

------------------

My xdata file is saves as missionname6.xd

Is that going to be an issue when I save the final as missionname ?

----------------

Also want to attach an arrow to a spider.

----

Seems like I'm having no luck with anything technical today.

Using the prefab gui scroll, but wnat player to pick up, can't see anything different between it and the scroll I have that player CAN pick up other than GUI.

--------

Have a 'Special object' I wnat the player to pick up for an objective. Normally a loot item so I made a model and added all the frob props, etc.. I can pick it up, but can't inventory it.

-------

Speakers don't seem to be working very good either. I have some overlaps but wiki says that's fine.

One is a clone of another that works fine...

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

No, loot just goes with all the other loot without a name. You might be able to trick it with TWO entities both with the same inventory icon - one to go in the loot first so it counts as loot and then the real item to go in the inventory. Need some thought how to do that. Probably a script.

having issues attaching a key to a builder_priest_combatant.

The key was from a metal chest prefab.

You need to use one of the special 'prop' keys

My xdata file is saves as missionname6.xd

Is that going to be an issue when I save the final as missionname ?

No, you can save xdata files as anything or even have several.

Using the prefab gui scroll, but wnat player to pick up, can't see anything different between it and the scroll I have that player CAN pick up other than GUI.

It's a different entity - one is mobile and the other immobile

Have a 'Special object' I wnat the player to pick up for an objective. Normally a loot item so I made a model and added all the frob props, etc.. I can pick it up, but can't inventory it.

Needs unique inv_name, inv_category, grabable must be 0 I think. Not sure I've not forgotten anything. It's a lot easier to use startpack. There is one in there you can modify or refer to.

-------

Speakers don't seem to be working very good either. I have some overlaps but wiki says that's fine.

What's the problem? No sound? Not looping?

OK, I'll look for that key.

I had missed the path to the xd file, then I saw it on my old scroll so realized that's what matters.

Doh, guess I got the wrong entity, I'm learning. Crash corse today, I know it won't happen but I'm pushing for beta release tonight. It'll probably be in a few days though.

I just went the loot route, it checks off the objective so all's good. I'll worry about special loot in a non-rush release.

===================

Speakers, I think i've getting them fixed. It's might've been because I wasn't using looping at first. And maybe when they overlap and not set to loop they cancel each other?

I also seem to have a global sound that starts when the map loads and I can't seem to pinpoint. Probably user error, but I never remember setting it, and don't see an extra speaker anywhere.

I also have a sound at the start, which always plays second time I load the map, but usually not the first time. It's critical so after I pack it up, if it doesn't work I'll look into a forced trigger.

Got some issues fixed.

That key is still being a bugger though. And now its a key_porp entity. Still doesn't want to attach. If all else fails it doesn't HAVE to...

-----------

And the scroll is a 'mobile' scroll prefab, but still can't frob/pickup

----------

Trying to trigger an objectives visibility by reading a scroll.

I've got another vis_trigger working, but the script doesn't send the message on pick-up or read sad.gif

And I had found the readable - trigger obj on the Wiki I think, but now I can't find it. I don't want it to complete the obj anyway, just to change vis state.

got this one

I'm not so familiar with def_attach. An alternative which I mostly use is just a normal key position and rotated where you want it on the belt and give it:

bind <AIname>

bindToJoint leftHips_dummy [or right etc]

Use that same method to attach the arrow to the spider but you will have to check for joints names http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=BindToJoint

There is no technical problem with overlapping speakers set up normally. Be a poor game if you could only have one sound in any place.

There is a button on DR's top bar to show all speaker radii might help you find the missing speakers.

Most probable cause preventing your picking up the mobile scroll is if you haven't given it a distinctive inv_name. If it's just called 'a scroll' and you already have another in the inventory called 'a scroll' then you can't have two.

If you have a global sound playing everywhere in the map then try searching for 'global' with the map file in a plain text editor. Copy and paste the entity name into DR's entity list should find it.

OK, I'll look into that stuff, did search for global and nothing.

But currently I'm pulling my hair out trying to pack this damn thing up and test. ARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGG

------------------

I deleted everything except .map. dmapped. Made a folder on desktop with all files I need.

maps/.map, proc, cm, aas

xd/mission briefing and scrolls

skins/

def/

startingmap.txt

darkmod.txt

install_splash.tga

I've used peazip and winzip to zip it. Have tried as pk4 and zip (also dl'ed 7z but can't get it to work)

It loads, I start map, the TDM logo plays, it shows my instal.tga and the text.

Briefing scroll is blank (I think I found some erros ( missing a } and was map named wrong)

But the briefing is blank, hit objectives and a pop-up says 'can't load map name' (it does show my map name)

Everything looks correct in fms folder, it matches other installed missions -pk4 and txt files.

------

I've even removed the map files from my maps folder.

Check the game folder was created properly when you used the install option at the menu.

Remember, you need to run Dark Mod via tdmlauncher.

You could substitute a briefing from another FM to test. If that works OK then you know you have an error in your xdata (or your gui if you are doing a graphical briefing.)

Yeah, the folders are created properly (both in Fms and Doom3.)

I have removed the map files from maps before hand, made sure to delete all folders...(and have uninstalled everything before testing). Also deleted all FM's.

I am launching through tdmlauncher, same as always with every FM. In fact I tested loading another at one point just to be sure, it was fine.

Tried the mission briefing from Madmountain, and tried it with my map name in place of his (maps/mymap/briefing)

----------------

I've also tried 0 compression. zip/pk4....

The map loads and plays fine through console.

And I've double/triple checked the xdata stuff. Fairly simple format, using notepadd++.

maps/rift/mission_briefing
{
"num_pages": "1"

"page1_body" :
{
  "  TITLE (if wanted.)"
  ""
  "I got a tip last night from..."
  ""
  "I found a map..."
 }

"page2_body" :
{
  "extra pages do the same way as page 1 above but then change the value in num_pages above"
}

}

Just tried again with the mission briefing straight off the Wiki.

Briefing is blank, console says can't find maps/rift/mission_briefing

Then it fails to load map.

Yep, looks right. Although I'm away form home now.

I did email the map to myself so if anyone could take a look I can email it, would be much appreciated.

I was gonna spend 3 hours last night working on the final section, instead spent 4 hours beating my head trying to just get in game/zip test to work.

Very tricky to find this. The problem was not with the xdata but startingmap.txt. It does not have the standard Windows line feed code so Dark Mod was reading the name not as rift but as rift# (some code.) Note in the console how it was doing a linefeed when it said it couldn't find rift then it put \briefi... on the next line?

Are you running Linux? I read recently there is some problem also with reading currentfm.txt if that is edited manually.

I heard notepad under Wine works. Alternatively I can send you a file. I don't know if this affects any other files.

btw I also noticed you had TWO briefings ie, with the same xdata name. That was not the problem but it wants removing as it gives a warning.

Thanks for finding it, I want to go in game when I next get a chance, not keep fighting this .lol

No, I use Win764. Notepad++ specifically because it's supposed to be better than notepad for our Linux equipped Bretheren (Tels).

The two breifings probably happened last second this morning. Working at 6:30 cramming before work never works.

Hi all, brand new editor (but long-time Thief player) here with a question. I'm working through Fidcal's excellent tutorial for DarkRadiant, and when I reached the portion about creating AI entities, I ran into a hang-up. I can do all the editing processes described in the tutorial (changing teams, positioning the AI in the room, etc.), but when I enter Dark Mod to test it, the AI just doesn't spawn. I get a warning message on the console that says "Unknown classname ('null') on entity [insert name of AI here]".

I've tried many different classes of AIs, from pagans to Builders, but no luck, and as I'm not overly familiar with the layout of DarkRadiant yet, I don't know how to go about troubleshooting the issue. I've searched the forums for other like topics, but a search for "unknown classname" (w/o quotes) turns up 200 results, whereas the same phrase in quotations turns up zero. Any suggestions? Seems silly to go on with the tutorial if I can't even manage to place an AI properly sad.gif

Thanks in advance for your help!

Edit: I restarted the whole process, recreating the room and all models and lights and such, and didn't have the problem this time. What might've been going wrong?

Edited by Strider9820

No worries. This is normal. I think there should be a name for it. :laugh: We all get errors and spend ages trying to unravel and rebuild then find when we get back to where we started now it works! You may never know what caused the error. You did the right thing.

has anyone noticed that if you're using a 3d skybox and in your main map if you cover one brush in the sky with the portal_sky texture and leave the rest of the sky covered with caulk after dmapping and running map in doom3 the whole sky is covered with the 3d sky and not just the brush that has the portal_sky texture on it.

I was trying to stop the sky from erasing a spider web on a patch, as the portal sky texture erases 2 sided textures on a patch when looking at the sky through a patch.

has anyone noticed that if you're using a 3d skybox and in your main map if you cover one brush in the sky with the portal_sky texture and leave the rest of the sky covered with caulk after dmapping and running map in doom3 the whole sky is covered with the 3d sky and not just the brush that has the portal_sky texture on it.

I was trying to stop the sky from erasing a spider web on a patch, as the portal sky texture erases 2 sided textures on a patch when looking at the sky through a patch.

Yeah there's a bit of an odd thing that happens with caulk and thinking it's skyportal - I've never really figured out why.

The only reason I know this is because someone asked for help on a map that had the skyportal prefab in it but didn't have any skyportal brushes, outside the windows were caulked off to stop leaking from the house during the furnishing etc, but it would render them with a nice 3d sky where I expected black or something.