The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

LEGION: To raise the ambient light level throughout original doom levels you need to extract those maps and put in an ambient light to cover the entire map in all levels. There is nothing special about ambient_world - it's just an ambient light covering the entire map. Probably just pick one of the existing ambient lights so long as its light covers everything, eg, it's light texture doesn't fade before the sides of the map.

Sorry to have bothered you Fidcal, I didn´t used ambient_world, but only ambient because I misread the wiki. I thought when I use ambient_world I would have that negative effect on normals. For that the wiki said to ADD one real ambient for them, I misread it as use a real ambient INSTEAD of ambient_world. :blush:

But the AI´s are still running in cirlces. So I really have to dmap everything it, damn, this will last the whole day...

I couldn´t decide for the ambient between 3 and 4. 3 was too dark, 4 too bright. At last I chose 3.

I let doom3 dmap this moment. Ok, it´s ready, let´s test. Oh:

ERROR: marscity_cinematic_sarge_1 cannot use use_aas aas48

I guess that´s it for my little adventure...

Edited by LEGION

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

Are you sure you are dmapping in doom? That is, you are running doom via a shortcut without any reference to darkmod? I've never tried modifying or dmapping any of the original doom maps; maybe they need some parameters. Try a google. There must be tons of maps made with the original assets.

Yes, I dmap with doom3.exe, no mod activated. I also saved the map-file with no mod-base, I mean I deleted 'darkmod', no difference.

I can´t find anything for dmapping doom3 in google, I´ll go over to doom3world.

Or do I have to extract everythng from the pk4´s to have a successful dmap?

What do you say, Nils? You came from doom3, didn´t you?

Edited by LEGION

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

Just for your info: It seems DarkRadiant is messing with Doom3´s original maps. I just opened and saved a map without doing sth. While fs_modbase-parameter was deactivated.

AI´s that are supposed to walk a specific path are running in circles or even past their target. I still don´t have a clue how to fix this or make the dmapping right.

Just thought you should know because I read somewhere DarkRadiant is also for Doom3-mappers.

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

That's just because the aas files are older than the map file. You could open the original map in a plain text editor and save it again to give it today's date and the aas files will be out of date and the AI will go round in circles. You need to dmap or at least runAAS to create pathfinding.

Hmm, okay, no DR-issue. RunAAS causes the same Error with that cinematic. The error is AAS-related. That ambient_world, could I add that with another Doom3-editor too? Stock-Doom3Ed isn´t starting though. Dammit, why does those stuff always happen to me.

Thanks for feedback, fids. Still no answer at Doom3world...

edit: I just tested MarsCity2, that map seems to work fine after dmapping, though, I need a level with a cinematic...

Edited by LEGION

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

Ok, I´ll do that. Right now I opened the file with GtkRadiant, the pre-DR version. Is dmapping right now.

When dmapping the file after I extracted it, without touching it, there is no crash. I checked entity-data from the text inside the map-file, the order is different, but the values are completely the same, nothing missing. Must be sth with the model happening in DR.

I also tried to open the aas-file with notepad and save it, but AI would still run in circles. So, all the files must have the exact same timestamp or what?

edit: Found a tool, but AI are still running in circles then. Also GtkRadiant couldn´t help.

Yeah, that´s me, always with the strangest issues... :angry:

Edited by LEGION

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

ES FUNKTIONIERT!!!!

That was German for:

IT´S WORKING!!!!

The solution was so simple, the ERROR message says what to do literally! This entity can´t use AAS48. Glad I found out that there is also AAS96! Just add inherited property 'useaas aas96' and that´s it! I have to make a complete dmap though but it´s working! All in all I found three entities that needed this tweak. All were related to a cinematic-event.

Well, thanks for being patent with me Fids, but who knows, maybe someday this problem appears on a TDM-map...

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

The error was caused by three player-models used for two different cinematic´s I think. The third model I couldn´t remember where it appears in game.

Anyway, in 'inherited properties' in the EntityInspector I found

useaas: aas48

That I changed to 'aas96' because I saw other maps using this extension, also I saw it mentioned during the AAS-compiling. :)

There are also extensions like this mentioned: aas.mancubus, aas.guardian, aas.sabaoth and aas.cyberdemon.

The monser-aas´s are most likely there because of the bigger monster-models, I guess.

I couldn´t find info about the differences between aas48 and aas96 in a quick search now.

I guess TDM uses only aas48?

Of course, it doesn´t make sense why these models need aas96 after saved again. I also got this with GtkRadiant and even the stock Doom3ed (which I got to work in the meantime), while dmapping the untouched map caused no change. That´s all way beyond my understanding anyway. :mellow:

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

TDM does make use of aas96. Earlier in the mod, Belcher creatures used that size for pathfinding. Similarly, while doing some performance testing, I set some rats to use aas32 rather than the rather small aasrat. It helped performance a little, but the rats didn't work well crawling underneath furniture and such.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

So, the bigger the number behind aas the 'bigger' the pathfinding? Can you use any number? (like 32, 40, 48, 56 and so on...)

It helped performance a little, but the rats didn't work well crawling underneath furniture and such.

That sounds cool, but we would need more furniture with 'legs'. Right now rats are stuck very often, sadly. I like to see them running around.

In the meantime I edited other maps, no problems on them, and I do 'runAAS' all the time just in case.

But this is strange again: I edited a map from J.C. Denton´s DentonMod2.02final where he just added an item. RunAAS works fine. But when I dmap that map I get several leaks. The first I could solve, it wasn´t a brush, but a light half in the void it seemed. The second leak was on an object (is that even possible?), a computer interface. I moved and moved it right into the room til it was floating, still a leak. I couldn´t saw void in the brushwork, where the pointfile lead me, so I gave up. Until I encounter the next Models that cause that damn error (hopefully not) I won´t dmap again. Also that map uses a cinematic too with the player-model, but no complaints. It seems doom3-original-maps ain´t that compatible with DR or at all.

Normally one has only to dmap after changing/adding brushwork or sth else?

In case I forgot sth to tell ya, here is my doom3world-topic, where I explained it again. (fourth post)

nothing to do with dark mod

Was 'ambient_world' already implemented in Doom3? Would it make a difference if 'mod_base' in DR is active or not? Right now I deleted DarkMod out of it just in case. I added ambientLightnfo-tga´s and the material-info to doom3, and that works fine.

Edited by LEGION

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

Have tried to search but no luck...

This is not eminent for me right now, but it is possible to move bewtween maps? Like those transitions between maps in Thief 3 with the blue smoke? When you come to a place, you get teleported to another map but when you go back, the first map is as you left it with loot, corpses and such.

Or...

do I have to be totally finished with map 1, and then go to map 2 without any way to go back to map 1...Like a campaign like NHAT...?

Campaigns and hub missions are not yet supported but it is fairly easy to move between maps without inventory and game position. In other words, just starting from the start point each time. It might be possible with some scripting though to do gamesaves and save/load inventory contents separately.

So, the bigger the number behind aas the 'bigger' the pathfinding? Can you use any number? (like 32, 40, 48, 56 and so on...)

That sounds cool, but we would need more furniture with 'legs'. Right now rats are stuck very often, sadly. I like to see them running around.

In the meantime I edited other maps, no problems on them, and I do 'runAAS' all the time just in case.

But this is strange again: I edited a map from J.C. Denton´s DentonMod2.02final where he just added an item. RunAAS works fine. But when I dmap that map I get several leaks. The first I could solve, it wasn´t a brush, but a light half in the void it seemed. The second leak was on an object (is that even possible?), a computer interface. I moved and moved it right into the room til it was floating, still a leak. I couldn´t saw void in the brushwork, where the pointfile lead me, so I gave up. Until I encounter the next Models that cause that damn error (hopefully not) I won´t dmap again. Also that map uses a cinematic too with the player-model, but no complaints. It seems doom3-original-maps ain´t that compatible with DR or at all.

Normally one has only to dmap after changing/adding brushwork or sth else?

the leak is probably because that objects ORIGIN is outside the world. Select the object and look for a 'center point' (a dot) outside the map.

the origin is where the game thinks the entity is, if it's outside the map then it makes a 'leak'. Not sure about doom, but things like func_statics are easy to do this with in DR. say you have an L shape tunnel with trim. make all the trim func_static, then the origin is in the middle of all pieces (middle of the L) which is outside so it'll leak because the center is not sealed within trhe map.

easy way to test is to delete that object. if it leaks to another object there's probably a gap between brushes (but that SHOULD show a red line)

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Ah, that dots I already noticed on other stuff. But there´s no need to dmap that map anyway so I´ll leave it.

I´m now finished with 'ambienting' and compiling (only runaas) the left doom3-maps and I also compiled the Expansion-maps with not even one complaint!! (I loaded every map after compile to test) My luck that the very first map caused that trouble. DR was very stable with handling these big maps, because I had to zoom out very often for the ambient light it was very slow then. But it only crashed after I opened a second map and rightclicked into the grid, so I had to exit DR after every map, but DR boots really fast in the meantime. I get more and more comfortable in DR, I also love the floating-layout and that you can change the colour-layout, yeah, sounds silly, but it´s very important to make you feel comfortable. I already fell in love with DR... :wub: Now I just have to learn it...

@Fieldmedic

The upcoming Arx Fatalis-modder(s) are working on that, but I can´t tell if they got it already working. But what they achieve will very likely be available for TDM too, or the other way around. :)Here is their local thread on our forums, you could ask there...

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

How can I create an object that floats up and down without being specifically triggered? Do I use an elevator script or something else?

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

func_bobbing, or func_bobber, something....

Thank you, that was useful! :) There is some good documentation here if others are interested.

Edited by Melan

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved