The Dark Mod Forums

Nosslaks stuff

Nosslak

A bit hard to see what you're doing with the vent, I'd say go with a very easy to read material.

6220774-a-metal-air-vent-or-wire-mesh-grill-plate-material-with-a-grungy-worn-finish.jpg

and I'd like brass/leather maybe

I updated the vent to use a similiar pattern to yours and changed the colorscheme a bit to use some brass as you suggested. In my opinion it is looking great.

A very very good thing, this that. Perfectly sublime.

And it is about to get even more sublimier :):

PlagueDoctorMask2.png

Should I try to fit it to any certain face or will any face do?

I'll leave the sculpting till tomorrow but other than that I think I'm finished with the highpoly.

I updated the vent to use a similiar pattern to yours and changed the colorscheme a bit to use some brass as you suggested. In my opinion it is looking great.

And it is about to get even more sublimier :):

I'll leave the sculpting till tomorrow but other than that I think I'm finished with the highpoly.

One small detail I think is maybe a bit too modern, namely the screws with the slit.

Bottoms says 1744 was when the flat bit was invented:

http://inventors.about.com/od/sstartinventions/a/screwdriver.htm

This might be ok with our timeline (after all, we have electric), but maybe try how some simple rivets look there, too?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Heh, I think in one of the HL2 beta/alpha leaks there was a whole bunch of NPC's and maps which were culled (and have started showing up in Portal and later stuff). If I recall correctly one was "Incinerator" or something like that, short fat guy with a flamethrower or something. Looked pretty cool. I think you see the models head in a jar in HL2 or something. Long story short : I think he also had one of these bad boys, maybe why it's in TF2 now :V

I wonder if I still have that on stuff lying around, the missing content was pretty cool to look at.

Yeah, I put screws on the lantern bot. Rivets are sooo yesterday, lol. I figure some of the machines already had bolts, so flat head screws wasn't much of a stretch. It's the threads that are the tricky part, not the wrench or flathead screwdriver to craft

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

That is one cool mask you have over here.

You know, that mask with a special dirty/ragged skin + a matching hood would even make a new faction: The Plaguers, carriers of some shunned disease, which they are forced to hide behind the mask. Because ordinary folk flee from them to avoid contracting the illness, The Plaguers form loose communities to survive and hide in the basements, crypts and sewers of the city.

Just throwing ideas around, free of charge..:)

• Like 1

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

One small detail I think is maybe a bit too modern, namely the screws with the slit.

Bottoms says 1744 was when the flat bit was invented:

http://inventors.abo...screwdriver. htm

This might be ok with our timeline (after all, we have electric), but maybe try how some simple rivets look there, too?

I think that if it it credible that we have electricity, magic, monsters and all that good stuff that no eyebrows will be raised over a couple screws.

You know, that mask with a special dirty/ragged skin + a matching hood would even make a new faction: The Plaguers, carriers of some shunned disease, which they are forced to hide behind the mask. Because ordinary folk flee from them to avoid contracting the illness, The Plaguers form loose communities to survive and hide in the basements, crypts and sewers of the city.

Thanks! I was planning to make a really dirty skin for it anyway (so that it would fit just in on a zombie) so that is all good. I might try to make a hood as well. Plaguers do sound like a pretty good idea as well.

Also are the hair on the heads not supposed to line up perfectly with the heads (i.e. have the symmetry line in the exact same position as the heads) to combat symmetry? Or is this just a small oversight that you could easily fix (this would make it easier to fit the mask to the face tighter which would look more natural, it would also help with making other masks and/or hats).

Also are the hair on the heads not supposed to line up perfectly with the heads

Not necessarily. I wouldn't try adding this to models with attached hair, though. Better to use ones where the hair is part of the basic head mesh to begin with. There are several like that.

I <3 you

I would err far more along caste lines for naming them though - The Unclean or The Untouchable or somesuch. =-P

Reminds me of the Nosferatu in VtM: Bloodlines.

"No proposition Euclid wrote,

No formulae the text-books know,

Will turn the bullet from your coat,

Or ward the tulwar's downward blow

Strike hard who cares—shoot straight who can—

The odds are on the cheaper man."

From 'Arithmetic on the Frontier' by Rudyard Kipling

I <3 you

I would err far more along caste lines for naming them though - The Unclean or The Untouchable or somesuch. =-P

Thanks! The Unclean sounds nice, I'm carrying it a bit forward here..... Howsabout The Morbid. That would also carry a hint why exactly they carry the mask; a hideous affliction that disfigures as well as infects.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

As long as you can keep the shadowmesh really simple (which should be easy enough with this) that should be fine.

Lots of <3 for Xnormal too:

PlagueDoctorMasklow1.png

568 triangles

There are still some things that I'm not happy with (the vent, straps and metal part of the beak so I will improve those).

As long as you can keep the shadowmesh really simple (which should be easy enough with this) that should be fine.

I'll keep that in mind.

@Spring - will there be problems with this and our vision system? (i.e don't want them completely blind?)

I'm pretty sure attached objects don't obstruct AI vision.

I think simple is better. The lightning bolt on the vent looks 'superhero' and the detail on the beak is just too fancy imo.

The 'bolt' on the vent is actually unintentional and will be removed. I don't know why it looks lite it does as a I just made a flat circle behind it so the whole vent should look the same, I will fix this. I'll just remove the detail on the beak as well then.

Not too sure about the swirly detailing and the vent change, but otherwise the stitching looks good :)

Thanks, I will fix remove the swirl and fix the vent. I was just so happy with the overall quality (except the vent) that I wanted to post it right away, even though it was far from perfect.

agree about the detail on beak and bolt to go. Still looks good otherwise. How about adding some scratches and so on? Someone who weara that mask all day won't have a nice and shiny one, right?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

Getting there:

PlagueDoctorMasklow2.png

Still need to do a specmap and add some more scratches.

agree about the detail on beak and bolt to go. Still looks good otherwise. How about adding some scratches and so on? Someone who weara that mask all day won't have a nice and shiny one, right?

Thanks! I were going to add some wear and tear to it, I just posted the pure normal and ambient occlusion maps, I have added it in PS now.

Thanks!

I forgot to mention that it fits the heads of:

- Zombiehead01 (the mask will need to be moved, rotated and potentially scaled, there was no other way)

- Commonerhead_05

- Head_06

- Head08_commoner

- Head_eric

- Maybe more (haven't tested all properly and might ha)

I should also mention that there is clipping with the the hair and straps (and the outer rim of the mask as well) on most of the models which have a separate hair model, there was no way to avoid this while keeping the shape somewhat close to the face.

Goodness that's wicked looking. Good work. ^_^

Screenshot on AI head plz.

I had just the sort of NPCs that might use this too.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Love the new color scheme!

Do you need help getting it into the game? (What about your other models, getting them into the game?)

Btw

http://web.siat.ac.cn/~vcc/publications/2011/lobetree/

is about constructing trees by positioning texture lobes. Do you think you could model the indiviual branches/leaf bunches they mention in their paper? Then maybe I could write some code that randomly arranges them into trees/bushes.