The Dark Mod Forums

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Past hour
  2. Stone 24pt Font Upgrade, May 9 2024 Interim Release This first release just clears away some of the low-hanging fruit, while buffing the new datBounds program. In summary - stray mark next to W removed poor spacing of J and AE improved 6 characters got accents added. The download is made up of: .dat and 2 .dds files, for distribution/game inclusion .ref [with changes annotated] and .xcf [master source GIMP project, including datBounds layers] 2024 May 9 Stone 24 Interim font update.zip The changes were also doubled-checked using the testSubtitlesANSI FM. As this work continues, with an interim release approximately monthly, characters to be fixed will be chosen seemingly "at random", but actually due to layout considerations... you don't want to know. They'll all be done eventually. Details of Improvements:
  3. Today
  4. Release of datBounds v 1.0 My new tool to visualize the font metrics in a .dat file is now available. For more, see https://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=DatBounds I've been using this and testing it as I begin the long process of extending the Stone 24pt character set.
  5. For free ambience tracks it's as Freky said: you look around on the internet for tracks with the appropriate license to be included in your FM. Fortunately, you likely don't even need to bother doing this as a beginner as there's an entire "Music & SFX" section of the forums full of good ambient tracks for you to use if the stock tracks do not meet your fancy. You might also be interested in Orbweaver's "Dark Ambients", which come with a sndshd file already written for you.
  6. https://www.youtube.com/embed/okqbL9ZZQaM
  7. By searching at several music sites on ambient music (looking at the license) Or by creating them ourselfs, https://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Composing_Ambient_Tracks_and_Music_Tracks
  8. So where do you disgustingly clever/creative people find all of the great, very Thief-esque ambient tracks I hear in so many of these missions?
  9. Thanks for playing!!! And yeah, that is a good idea. I'll look into it and maybe see what can be done
  10. Yesterday
  11. Hey maybe you can add the alternative combined lockpick to core? So mappers might more often include it. Mission is great.
  12. Please make the mission complete sound the default for TDM! It was short but I liked it.
  13. Yes, it's time to do something about this. For all missions.
  14. I like this very much. It goes in line with the idea that players become more creative when they can alter the world around them temporally instead of permanently. Each time is a different challenge. It will never happen globally, though. Good news is that we have Shadow Arrows.
  15. I don't think it's a problem. Acidentally I read about this a week ago. It was still difficult to find it back. I hope the info in the topic is useful for you.
  16. Thank you, sorry for the needless question. I searched first, but didn't turn up anything. Must have used bad search terms. Thanks again.
  17. Unlike some fan missions for the Thief games, the TDM fan mission authors take care that there is no copyrighted material in the missions.
  18. Thank you for the kind words. I don't know who made the track. It comes with the core assets of the mod. So it should be possible to find the composer.
  19. The "Sad News" title startles me a little bit everytime I check the subforum. But that's great. Don't change it. I did not have time to play this yet, but I am looking forward to it.
  20. IP over Avian Carriers with Quality of Service https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc2549 Mini ponds are 'tiny universes' of biodiversity for gardens and windowsills : https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20240423-how-to-make-a-mini-wildlife-pond
  21. Last week
  22. Rest in Peace Jonathan "Tim the Tool-Man" Taylor Thomas. Lost but not forgotten.
  23. for the original 3070 id agree it was the ammount though the increased bandwidth in the ti models should help in 4k hell even the old AMD fury-x could at the time run 4k with only 4gb due to the hbm memory being that much faster to swap but yeah theres more than one way to skin a rhinocereus . a 3070 with 2 gb gddr6x 16 gb would have been pretty interresting to say the least .
  24. This sounds like an easier solution because it needs no breaking glass models or particles. Still it needs all electrical lights to be switchable though and I don't know if this is set globally or in the missions...
  25. I don't know about actually breaking lights, but I have considered the idea of using water arrows on electric lights to short circuit them temporarily, making them flicker, and go out temporarily. How much they flicker could be set by the modder, and depend on difficulty level.
  26. While I really like new things in TDM, I fear that as long as these ideas are not part of the core mod, only very mission authors will use them...
  27. Hmmm. I still like my idea of shooting broadhead arrows at fragile lights to turn them off, but I like your idea as well! It's not like we couldn't use a new item, and it's something mappers would have control of by only placing it on levels where we want to have this behavior. But then we'll have to make all lights frobable by default so even this approach would be a little complicated.
  1. Load more activity
  • Recent Status Updates

• nbohr1more

The FAQ wiki is almost a proper FAQ now. Probably need to spin-off a bunch of the "remedies" for playing older TDM versions into their own article.
      · 1 reply
    • nbohr1more

Was checking out old translation packs and decided to fire up TDM 1.07. Rightful Property with sub-20 FPS areas yay! ( same areas run at 180FPS with cranked eye candy on 2.12 )
      · 3 replies
    • taffernicus

i am so euphoric to see new FMs keep coming out and I am keen to try it out in my leisure time, then suddenly my PC is spouting a couple of S.M.A.R.T errors...
      tbf i cannot afford myself to miss my network emulator image file&progress, important ebooks, hyper-v checkpoint & hyper-v export and the precious thief & TDM gamesaves. Don't fall yourself into & lay your hands on crappy SSD

· 7 replies
    • OrbWeaver

Does anyone actually use the Normalise button in the Surface inspector? Even after looking at the code I'm not quite sure what it's for.
      · 7 replies
    • Ansome

Turns out my 15th anniversary mission idea has already been done once or twice before! I've been beaten to the punch once again, but I suppose that's to be expected when there's over 170 FMs out there, eh? I'm not complaining though, I love learning new tricks and taking inspiration from past FMs. Best of luck on your own fan missions!
      · 4 replies