Photo

Fan Mission: The Alchemist by Sotha & Fidcal(2010/06/01)

• Please log in to reply
189 replies to this topic

#1 Fidcal

Fidcal

Master Mapper

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16683 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 11:26 AM

POPULAR

Posted Image

The Alchemist is a full-size city and mansion Dark Mod FM, the fourth in the Thief's Den series in which you play Farrell. It follows on from Heart of Lone Salvation so you should play that first.

The main build of this FM was by Sotha who was unable to continue work on it. I (Fidcal) could see the potential so completed it, somewhat roughly and quickly, so it could be enjoyed rather than abandoned. Even so, it exceeded my original estimate!

Read the notes below while you ... DOWNLOAD HERE. (27MB)

Sam's death hit me hard and I've not been feeling so good. I'm worried I didn't get rid of the Heart of Lone Salvation quickly enough. I don't want to end my days like Martha Edridge. A health potion is too weak; I need something stronger. Only a holy healing potion will lift a curse so I need to find a good alchemist.

But the city watch have been tipped off and the district is alive with guards searching for any intruder they find on the streets. I have no choice: I must get that potion...

This FM needs Dark Mod Update 1.02 or later.

TIP: You cannot drink the holy healing potion if you are perfectly fit!

As said in the briefing, the city watch are already ALERT right from the start and much more likely to notice you in the dark. You'd better be ready to move!

ALLOW 2 TO 4 HOURS PLAY FIRST TIME AROUND

Players with low end machines will find this slow in some places especially when there is an alert. Hide. Let things calm down. Closing doors behind you may help.

In Dark Mod some glass is breakable using any weapon. It may require several hits. But there is also toughened glass which cannot be broken. Only one way to find out which is which!

Do not use Esc during the briefing or the cursor becomes invisible. (You can still select blind though looking for highlights.) You can skip the briefing with the left mouse button. If you miss anything you can use the back button to show it again.

Above all, Enjoy!

[EDIT] updated with debugged combination lock script 5 June 2010. If you had a previous version installed make sure it is totally removed first, ie, doom3/alchemist and darkmod/fms/alchemist.

[EDIT] If you get strange crashes there is a known bug caused by the spiky balls. This is fixed in Dark Mod but I think not released until 1.03. Try my patch from http://www.fidcal.co...mist_patch2.zip It makes the spiky balls passive - they don't do damage - but apart from that no difference.

Close Dark Mod
Unzip the patch into your game folder doom3\alchemist
Start the FM afresh, don't use earlier gamesaves.
  • SneaksieDave, Melan, Neb and 3 others like this

#2 SneaksieDave

SneaksieDave

QA Lead

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10125 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 11:53 AM

Get outta here! :D Wikified.

#3 nbohr1more

nbohr1more

Darkmod PR, Wordsmith

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8796 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 12:04 PM

...this will be a looong day at work.
(And even longer if I have to do stuff with the wife after work... :laugh: )
Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.c...ds/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

#4 lowenz

lowenz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1788 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 03:37 AM

Can't load savegames without crash, it only happens to me?

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

#5 Fidcal

Fidcal

Master Mapper

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16683 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 03:45 AM

I am not certain about this but don't save when there is an alert. I know that hard in this game as the city watch keep getting alerted in the first 15 minutes or so. Make lots of named saves in the menu just in case. I had one bad crash early on when testing but since then it's been OK.

#6 greebo

greebo

Heroic Coder

• Root
  • 16053 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 04:17 AM

The alerted AI savegame crash should be fixed by now (TDM 1.02).

#7 SiyahParsomen

SiyahParsomen

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1005 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 04:42 AM

besides, restart also crashes sometimes. Apart from these problems, it's nice mission.

Edited by SiyahParsomen, 02 June 2010 - 04:48 AM.

#8 Berny

Berny

• PipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 06:56 AM

Oh man... 

I know I WILL love the city part (; (; (;

but I have the savegame bug.. ;( No reload

Edited by Berny, 02 June 2010 - 07:49 AM.

#9 Sotha

Sotha

Vertical Contest Winner

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5612 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 01:41 PM

It was interesting to walk around the map. It was so familiar, but still so different.

Oh, an introduction seem to be in order. I'm Sotha. I was learning Dark Radiant by creating most of the geometry seen on this map. Once I encountered some serious hardware problems I had no time to work on it anymore and then Fidcal took over working the map. He definately deserves the credit for the map more than I.

Anyways I have to admit that after many hours of gameplay I had to noclip to get forward. Missed some clue somewhere, I suppose.

I also had a crash every time I tried to reload a save. Which in the end made me restart the entire map and noclip to the spot I was in before getting killed.

Do not read the following before you've played the map, it will ruin your fun:
The most coolest parts of the map were
Spoiler

The not-so-cool parts were:
*My geometry. After playing some other FM's it looked so... coarse. My excuse is that I was just learning DR at the time.
*The map was way too large and it was easy to get distracted from the main goal.
Spoiler

But anyway, I've certainly learned a lot from this and I'll be employing my lessons in the map I'm currently working on.

And again, thanks for Fidcal for finalizing this.
Clipper
-The mapper's best friend.

#10 id3839315

id3839315

• PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 03:10 PM

Thanks for another great mission !

As said in the briefing, the city watch are already ALERT right from the start and much more likely to notice you in the dark. You'd better be ready to move!

That's not nice. The archer started shooting from the roof assisted by another other guard making dog food of Mr. Farrell.

The most coolest parts of the map were

Spoiler

Me too but the guards took care of the surprise. :laugh:

The not-so-cool parts were:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Edited by id3839315, 02 June 2010 - 03:22 PM.

#11 Fidcal

Fidcal

Master Mapper

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16683 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 03:56 PM

It is. I can't get it to fail. Did you pull the lever or just set the numbers?

#12 aidakeeley

aidakeeley

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 04:40 PM

Yeah...

Sorry, greebo, but I've got the save-reload fails thing on my last 2 saves... and I tried it with 1.02 (very latest) and 1.02 (the one I saved after the fix you did about it crashing when I had that guy dead in the water...) both crash. (Memory reference...)

ETA:
It turns out all of my saves fail...

Anyway, as before, in case you can make use of it, a copy of my latest save

save, tga and txt

Edited by aidakeeley, 02 June 2010 - 05:25 PM.

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

#13 Ladro

Ladro

• PipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 08:24 PM

I have too some problems on re-load after an alert (F9 and then F4): it makes loading page for ever :(

(i'm with V1.02)

#14 aidakeeley

aidakeeley

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 08:38 PM

Well...

I restarted the mission and played much further before my reload was necessary...

Spoiler

From there I was able to save, load, reload a bunch...

Spoiler

But now I've crashed again:

Spoiler

Edited by aidakeeley, 02 June 2010 - 08:42 PM.

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

#15 Fidcal

Fidcal

Master Mapper

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16683 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 01:54 AM

aidakeeley: Ah, that's useful. You say it registered as correct? So you mean you saw a message in the console? If you can confirm that then might help me debug it. I've been wasting time trying to get the wheels to rotate perfectly when it might be a completely different problem. But why it doesn't fail for me I do not understand.

#16 Fidcal

Fidcal

Master Mapper

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16683 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 02:17 AM

I think I fixed the combo lock bug. It might relate to the state players leave the test combo lock at the inventor's (which would explain why it didn't fail for me.)

Please would anyone with the problem please download and test this patch and if OK then I'll update the main FM...

http://www.fidcal.co...emist_patch.zip

Close Dark Mod
Extract the zip into your doom3\alchemist game folder (NOT the darkmod\fms\alchemist folder)
Try the combo lock again. I am fairly sure you can use your previous gamesave but I am not certain. Perhaps greebo can confirm whether map scripts are saved with a gamesave.

#17 aidakeeley

aidakeeley

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 02:30 AM

You say it registered as correct? So you mean you saw a message in the console?

No. Not the console. Just the sound it gave...

Spoiler

Edited by aidakeeley, 03 June 2010 - 02:32 AM.

#18 SiyahParsomen

SiyahParsomen

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1005 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 03:59 AM

I thought load crash bug was fixed, because I didn't get any crash since beta 2. I think it was my luck. Anyway some notes about crashes:

- I killed every living creature in the mission, completed all objectives except leaving, and saved at the front of exit gate. Load crashed.

-Saved the game inside of mansion. load crashed.

-Crashes happened in all difficulity levels.

#19 Fidcal

Fidcal

Master Mapper

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16683 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 04:46 AM

Ah! I just had a thought - those who have had trouble opening the combination lock door - do you have open on unlock OFF in the settings? My guess is yes. I'll do another patch.

[EDIT] OK I uploaded another patch

#20 id3839315

id3839315

• PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 05:18 AM

do you have open on unlock OFF in the settings?

Open doors on unlock is set to YES.

Try the combo lock again. I am fairly sure you can use your previous gamesave but I am not certain. Perhaps greebo can confirm whether map scripts are saved with a gamesave.

Thanks for the patch. It works but you have to pull the lever twice. You can't use old savegames with the patch.

By the way:
Spoiler

Edited by id3839315, 03 June 2010 - 07:01 AM.

#21 SiyahParsomen

SiyahParsomen

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1005 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 06:08 AM

yes! In my gameplay settings "open doors on unlock" is "yes" and it works perfectly. Then changed it to "no" and I wasn't able to open the door.

Edited by SiyahParsomen, 03 June 2010 - 06:23 AM.

#22 Berny

Berny

• PipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 06:42 AM

now I have a broken savegame ;( damn ;( ;(

Besides: I love the music at the start!! also the (secret) underground areas are cool!

#23 Fidcal

Fidcal

Master Mapper

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16683 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 07:00 AM

thanks id3- I think you might have my first patch. I uploaded another. The first patch probably fixed the main bug but then you have to frob the lever again to open the door. The second patch hopefully opens the door first time.

Spoiler

#24 Sotha

Sotha

Vertical Contest Winner

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5612 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 07:18 AM

Spoiler

Spoiler

Clipper
-The mapper's best friend.

#25 Fidcal

Fidcal

Master Mapper

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16683 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 08:52 AM

Damn! And I added more - I had about 5 guards at the front. I should have put them on a team relationship so they ignored the thieves as it's not their job to chase thieves in the city but to guard the house. It all depends on timing and which route you take of course.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users