The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: The Builder Roads by Obsttorte (2013/01/19)

Obsttorte

Evaluation  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Gameplay

• Poor
    • Moderate
    • Good
    • Excellent
    • Near Perfect
  2. 2. Aesthetics

3. 3. Story

• Poor
    • Moderate
    • Good
    • Excellent
    • Near Perfect

LOL congrats on the release, you git, you beat me to it :-P

Looking forward to yours, minion. :P

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Part way through on the hardest setting and really liking it.

Music and atmosphere is very good

The readables are very useful for finding things - I would never have even thought of looking for one of the early loot items without it

My only problem at the moment is the guard suddenly appearing with a torch - I am going to have to think of a way round that one

Running out of time tonight but no doubt I will finish it tomorrow and report back

Thanks a lot, Sir. :smile:

The mission gets to the "hit attack to start" screen, but won't progress beyond that. It's not frozen, as I can go back to the main menu, but I can't seem to get the mission to actually start.

The mission gets to the "hit attack to start" screen, but won't progress beyond that. It's not frozen, as I can go back to the main menu, but I can't seem to get the mission to actually start.

Using 1.08 or SVN? If the latter, perhaps you have something in your local setup (work in progress) that's preventing getting started.

No, it was default 1.08. But then I tried it again and it worked. Then it wouldn't quit at the end, but no matter.

I've been playing already for just under an hour. This is WAY bigger than I thought it would be for a two-week build! I really hope this inspires people to see what fun can be unleashed with only a few weeks of work...not every mission has to be a massive undertaking.

I'm very impressed

with the courtyard area.  The sound-bleeding is a bit troublesome, as it makes it hard to keep track of where the closing doors are coming from,

but that's an unfortunate consequence of having open windows until we can get transparent sound portals.

Anyway, I've more to play tomorrow. Thanks again for this!

Congrats Obs.

Am I correct to believe that this is not your contest entry and you have (yet) another mission in the works for that?

Pretty cool either way given how quickly this arrived.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Someone ought to crosspost this to TTLG. [edit]and Moddb[/edit]

As one of the testers, I have been very impressed with the mission. On the highest difficulty, it is genuinely hard to ghost, and even below that, there are some really challenging situations. The Builder complex looks good, cramped in a good way, and the various locations feel lived-in.

Also, like Springheel, this is kinda my ideal for a small mission - focused, fun, replayable (I chose a different approach on each test run, and the mission kept its freshness). More than that, You can do it! Yes, YOU! We could have several small missions like this every year! And the more we have, the more people are attracted to do even more. In fact, I have DarkRadiant open myself. And after you play this FM, so should YOU!

Edited by Melan
  • Like 2

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Am I correct to believe that this is not your contest entry and you have (yet) another mission in the works for that?

I have two other missions in work, the contest entry and the sequel of Old Habits. :smile:

In the latter I've already put two months of work, but didn't worked on it for almost the same time. :blush:

Anyways, I hope two release both (much bigger) missions within the next months. :D

To all of you, thanks for the warm words, they're appreciated. :rolleyes:

You are very close. :smile:

Take another look in the book where you've found that number. You should find another one.

• Like 2

... but that's an unfortunate consequence of having open windows until we can get transparent sound portals.

Taking a look at the wiki I've found "sound_loss". But it is written there that this does only apply to AI. Has this been fixed yet? If so, this may be a possibility to overcome this.

Edited by Obsttorte

ATM there is no way to make open portals muffle sound to the player. It is something we definitely need for situations like that.

Number code solved - however I had a problem which was why I had difficulty - It took a couple of reloads of a saved game before it would accept the correct number

A quick question was I supposed to be able to do this

I used the water arrow to put out the torch the guard was carrying and all he said was "What was that sound"

Overall - a very nice mission in a compact area

Slight glitch

when I disturbed the guards in the inn when I knocked over a candle with an arrow although they didn't see me. One guard kept bobbing up and down behind the table

post-8491-0-89153100-1358699958_thumb.jpg

Edited by Oldjim

According the error in the spoiler tags: This never accoured to me, but I guess it's TDM not mission related.

It took a couple of reloads of a saved game before it would accept the correct number

Hmm, I've tested it for a while and made changes that should prevent this. It may be a good advice to not push the buttons too fast. :smile:

Fast fingered Jim strikes again :blush:

I will play again before rating it as I want to try getting all the loot and the loot in the Inn is going to be particularly difficult on the hardest setting (I certainly didn't manage it with only one water arrow)

Has the file for download been updated or should I be a lot more patient

Edited by Oldjim

I've just released it, so no, no update. ;)