Photo

Fan Mission: Penny Dreadful by Melan (2013/07/28)

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#26 Melan

Melan

Contest Winner, Wordsmith

• Campaign Dev
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4451 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:34 AM

I posted a few screenshots on my Tumblr. No idea how many people following an economic crisis and movie-themed blog are interested in stealth gaming, but who knows.
  • pusianka and Mr. Tibbs like this
Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

#27 Oldjim

Oldjim

Uber tester

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2021 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:40 AM

This is embarrassing - how do I get back out of the crypt
Spoiler

#28 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20320 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:45 PM

Spoiler

You don't actually need them to exit the crypt, just find
Spoiler

#29 someTaff

someTaff

• PipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:57 PM

Spoiler

Flawless visuals!

Edited by someTaff, 29 July 2013 - 12:58 PM.

What excuse do we have not to sculpt, and sculpt, and sculpt, until the job is done?

#30 lowenz

lowenz

Uber member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2004 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:36 PM

Spoiler

[edited to add spoiler tags--Springheel]

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

#31 simplen00b

simplen00b

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 04:24 PM

I plan these missions to be nasty, brutish and short.

Nasty & brutish? Parts of this mission looked so gorgeously horrible I thought I was in Rocksbourg (but fortunately I wasn't), and some of the lighting effects in the power station looked just gorgeous (a screenshot doesn't really do them justice but here's one anyway):
Spoiler

And short? There were at least three times in the final section when I thought "OK, that's it, pretty much there UH OH NO I'M NOT". And the
Spoiler
looks awesome.

So, none out of three ain't bad.* B)

And yes, playing a Melan TDM FM is like making love to a beautiful woman... You reserve plenty of free time, eliminate all distractions and then... You just close the curtains, dim the lights, get into the mood and
Spoiler

No I haven't been on a date for a while. Why d'you ask?

*Actually, I've just remembered
Spoiler
That was nasty.
  • Melan and Briareos H like this

#32 Oldjim

Oldjim

Uber tester

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2021 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 05:12 PM

I am not doing well here
Spoiler

#33 Lux

Lux

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1576 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 06:03 PM

Spoiler

Spoiler

EDIT: Oopsie!

Edited by Lux, 30 July 2013 - 03:23 AM.

#34 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20320 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:23 AM

@Lux, spoilers mista :-p

#35 Baal

Baal

Hero Mapper

• Development Role
  • PipPipPip
  • 1046 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 04:20 AM

This is an excellent mission from start to finish. It's executed very well in every aspect.
The different environments are beautiful, varied, distinctive and memorable; the story is simple but well written and the difficulty level is exactly right.
It should also be fun replaying this, since there seem to be many optional, secret areas around.

I bet Melan and Bikerdude had an argument or two about the nearly pitch black spots in one part of the map. ;)

#36 Oldjim

Oldjim

Uber tester

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2021 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:05 AM

Finished it on expert but it seemed to be a bit of a key hunt at the end but I suppose that this is a side effect of not having lockpicks
The atmospherics were great and the sound effects helped a lot
One thing which I am sure I did wrong was getting through this door
Spoiler

Edited by Oldjim, 30 July 2013 - 08:06 AM.

#37 Melan

Melan

• Campaign Dev
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4451 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:21 AM

That has never happened with me, and isn't supposed to... but hey. Emergent gameplay! B)
Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

#38 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20320 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:49 AM

I bet Melan and Bikerdude had an argument or two about the nearly pitch black spots in one part of the map. ;)

I did mention it in testing LOL....

#39 Baal

Baal

Hero Mapper

• Development Role
  • PipPipPip
  • 1046 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:01 AM

I thought that was cool by the way. Straining on the eyes but I liked it. You have to use the lantern to see anything but be careful not to let yourself be seen by whoever is around there.

#40 Melan

Melan

• Campaign Dev
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4451 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:11 AM

That was the intended effect. Finding your way in the darkness is an element of gameplay after all, plus everything relevant tends to be highlighted or silhouetted in some way (even if slightly). I think mission authors should be bolder with low light settings, and use that for gameplay (like RPGista's In Rememberance of Him) and aesthetics (bolder contrasts, more prominent shadows).

Still a very far cry from, let's say, sperry's infamously nerve-wracking TDP fan missions or even parts of the original TDP, which were dark, and that was something that added to the feeling of vulnerability.

#41 Baal

Baal

Hero Mapper

• Development Role
  • PipPipPip
  • 1046 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:07 AM

bolder contrasts, more prominent shadows

This is the main reason I try to keep ambient as low as possible.

Lighting in this mission is absolutely great. I'll have to take a closer look at it, because I'm still struggling to get it right.

#42 Oldjim

Oldjim

Uber tester

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2021 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:14 AM

Update - played through again and this time
Spoiler
I wonder if I can find any more secret passages
I did have one problem in the throne room - I think that this is a v2 problem as I have come across it before when beta testing - I alerted one of the skeletons who started looking but couldn't find me but he didn't drop out of alert state probably because the other skeletons saw the problem and continued the alert. In the end I dropped a mine and blew him up. Once I did that the other skeletons soon calmed down

Edited by Oldjim, 30 July 2013 - 11:36 AM.

#43 raymeld

raymeld

• PipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:57 PM

In the dark I've somehow stumbled into
Spoiler

#44 ungoliant

ungoliant

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1747 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:58 PM

That was the intended effect. Finding your way in the darkness is an element of gameplay after all, plus everything relevant tends to be highlighted or silhouetted in some way (even if slightly). I think mission authors should be bolder with low light settings, and use that for gameplay

I agree with this, but I also remember Deceptive Shadows getting a lot of complaints for this. I don't know if its just a matter of implementation, or what, but I guess it seems something that if you're going to do it, you must do it near-perfectly or just not bother.

Also, this mission kicks ass.
I will say that the difficulty level made me a little bit uncomfortable, even though I haven't been busted once yet. It's more that I'm used to almost by necessity frobbing for hidden stuff in every conceivable or inconceivable place. The combination of stretches of well lit areas, no-light areas, and the constant patrols make this very difficult. If there was some kind of disclaimer like "theres no ridiculously impossible to find hidden loot scattered in random spots" put into the FM description, I'd have a much easier time enjoying this to its maximum potential (which is a hell of a lot), and not focusing on "ok how do I time my movements to do a quick 3 second frob-spam across this whole area before this AI turns around and comes back"

I think a solid objective with no loot objective would of suited this FM very well. It could be like... a "find the sack of something that makes this trip worthwhile" objective, which is just a sack stuffed with looties. My humble opinion in any case. Other than my 100% frobspam all areas difficulties, I'm friggin loving this mission.
Thank you for another quality FM, Melan!

#45 AluminumHaste

AluminumHaste

Darkmod Contributor

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6289 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:22 PM

Man, why does no one ever tell me about these releases? How am I supposed to get screenshots for Moddb if I don't know about the missions lol!!!!

Congrats on the release, can't wait to try this tonight!

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

#46 Obsttorte

Obsttorte

Scripting guru, Mapper

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5823 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:32 PM

Man, why does no one ever tell me about these releases?

Right upper side of the forum's main page - new threads. Just saying.
FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild
WIP's: Several. Although after playing Thief 4 I really wanna make a city mission.
Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches
Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models
My wiki articles: Obstipedia
Let's Map TDM YouTube playlist: ObstlerTube
Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

End of shameless self promotion.

#47 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12856 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:33 PM

Man, why does no one ever tell me about these releases? How am I supposed to get screenshots for Moddb if I don't know about the missions lol!!!!

The raven must have been taken out by a well-shot arrow.
  • Springheel, Bikerdude, AluminumHaste and 1 other like this

#48 stumpy

stumpy

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1921 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:48 PM

Spoiler

#49 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20320 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:11 AM

I wonder if I can find any more secret passages

Have you found the
Spoiler
yet..?

I thought that was nbohr's job.. ;-P, but if both of you are doing that then I will make a point of telling you both when I update the missions page :-)

#50 nbohr1more

nbohr1more

Darkmod PR, Wordsmith

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9433 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:45 AM

I was planning on a mega article with all the Unusual Contest entries plus these missions. Though, Penny Dreadful is noteworthy enough for it's own article... For that matter, so are a couple of the Unusual Content entries... But it'll have more impact when a bunch of missions show-up at Moddb at once. :)
Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.c...ds/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users