The Dark Mod Forums

New "Active Props" -- Playing Cards

Springheel

I've been working on ways to use def_attached props and specialized animations to add more life to our AI. I've already created a bottle AI can carry around and drink from, and here's my second effort: playing cards.

If you attach atdm:prop_cards to sitting AI, you get the following behaviour:

1. AI play alternate sitting animation where they hold cards in front of them.

2. AI will play a couple different idle animations, where they will hold cards up to scrutinize them, or reach for a new card.

3. The reach for a new card animation plays a "drawing card" sound effect, and thanks to Tels' new code, also spawns a new card during the animation. The AI also play a new "snd_reaction" vocal, where they respond to the card they just drew, with lines like, "Ha!" "Bugger," or, "This looks bad."

4. If they are alerted to the point of standing up, they drop the cards. (I still need to set them up to fall properly).

Here's a video of it in action; this prefab will be included in TDM 1.02. It also, near the end, demonstrates some new sitting animations.

A couple notes:

1. If AI are alerted but sit back down, they won't resume playing; they'll just sit there.

2. This only works for AI who are designed to be sitting all the time. If the AI gets up as part of his patrol, the cards will stick to his hand awkwardly and the illusion will be spoiled.

Not had chance to look at this till this video but that is awesome. (And I don't like using the word 'awesome'.)

Thanks. :) I'm sure the animations could be improved on, but overall it sells the illusion pretty well.

This is in the next update right?

Yep. :)

Oh, this video also introduces the new "Average Jack" vocals, vocal work provided by our very own Bikerdude. That will be in the next update as well.

This is really fantastic work Spring. Mind if I whip up a new sound for when the AI draws a card? Maybe it's just the video but that one sounds a bit harsh for some reason. I can record a couple of variations.

That would be great. It was very hard finding anything suitable.

Epicness!!! Can't wait to try out the cards.

totally snagged my idea right out of my head about guards carrying and drinking out of bottles, but hey, less work for me right?

Although, I still think I have another good idea. Random drunken wobbling, stumbling, and staggering animations. If AI triggers a stagger animation while walking up/down a staircase, then halfway through the animation he ragdolls and tumbles down the stairs, then gets back up again and resumes patrol after cursing a bit :laugh:.

(card drawing sound)

That would be great. It was very hard finding anything suitable.

Also, you would get mad props if you can give us a few "stool over floor scrabbling" sounds :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

I would also like to see the drunken swaying guards.

We do have a drunken idle animation already. You just have to set the character as drunk (forget what the spawnarg is offhand).

hehe, smashing - didnt you want me to redo some lines btw..?

Goldcochobo is going to see if he can fix it up with some post processing first.

Looks great. Still needs a little tweaking, though: the furthest guy just left the cards hand hanging in the air and then sent them flying when he got up. And the way the human models spin around like humming-tops doesn't look right either.

PS: the voicing done by the guy with the British accent is the bomb. Have him do more of it, a greater variety of dialogue and AI lines. His style completely fits the feel of a medieval guard.

Edited by Chi Haotian