The Dark Mod Forums

Nosslaks stuff

Nosslak

• 2 weeks later...

The bedding is awfully modern-looking, but it's certainly a good-looking model.

That is fab! I know it looks modern but I still think it wouldn't look out of place for a noble's lodgings. Although the floral texture might be a bit much. :-X

"No proposition Euclid wrote,

No formulae the text-books know,

Will turn the bullet from your coat,

Or ward the tulwar's downward blow

Strike hard who cares—shoot straight who can—

The odds are on the cheaper man."

From 'Arithmetic on the Frontier' by Rudyard Kipling

man, that's so sweet! :wub:

Those pillows may not be suitable with sleep animation. If you can make them seperate, it'll be okay I think.

Thanks, I was planning to make those separate so that's quite alright.

The bedding is awfully modern-looking, but it's certainly a good-looking model.

That is fab! I know it looks modern but I still think it wouldn't look out of place for a noble's lodgings. Although the floral texture might be a bit much. :-X

Thanks! I just quickly threw on a texture that I thought looked good (I thought the texture felt a little victorian, but it's easily changeable). The plan was to make it possible for the mapper to change the whole texture of the sheets or alternatively bake down some AO (and some other stuff) that'll get multiplied over a base texture chosen by the mappers.

That was only the highpoly BTW, the lowpoly looks to be clocking in at about 3000 triangles (excluding the pillows which are 244*2 triangles ATM), but as there very rarely (I think) will be more than one in a single room that should probably be alright.

Thanks, I was planning to make those separate so that's quite alright.

That was only the highpoly BTW, the lowpoly looks to be clocking in at about 3000 triangles (excluding the pillows which are 244*2 triangles ATM), but as there very rarely (I think) will be more than one in a single room that should probably be alright.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

that is a very cool looking bed Noss, I assume there will be a low poly version aswell..?

Of course!

The tri count is fine.

It's a beautiful object, but I agree the floral is killing it, looks like my mom's bed, lol. I don't think I have any recommendation on a better pattern though.

It just looks too 'clean' and 'printed'.

Thanks! I took a look at some of the other beds and most of them just had single colored beddings with a stripe or two, so maybe I should just go with that, even though it'd be a bit boring.

I elongated it a bit as it felt a little short.

Bedlow1.png

2876 tris

It's not so much the pattern that makes it look modern to my eyes, but the thickness of the blanket (it looks like a duvet) and the shape/size of the pillows. Something about the latter looks entirely machine-made to me, but I can't quite pin down what it is.

It's not so much the pattern that makes it look modern to my eyes, but the thickness of the blanket (it looks like a duvet) and the shape/size of the pillows. Something about the latter looks entirely machine-made to me, but I can't quite pin down what it is.

Alright, here's a version with thinner beddings:

Bedlow2.png

Don't really know what what to do about the pillows.

Might be cool to have a nice quilted normal map on it. Would set it apart from the 'cheaper' beds.

I'm not quite sure what kind of quilted pattern you mean. Could you post a picture of what you had in mind?

[EDIT]Should I texture the beddings separately so they're easy to change the texture for?

[EDIT]Should I texture the beddings separately so they're easy to change the texture for?

Yes, I think that would be a good idea.

The bedding definitely looks better. Maybe other people can comment on the pillows...could just be me.

I think the rim around the pillows give it that 'modern' look. But honestly I think it would look good in game.

cathedral-window-quilt.jpg

I was just thinking a basic diamond shape 'quilt' normal. Of course it could then be used with a multitude of plain fabrics diffuses to make skins. I would definitely use a different material on the sheets apart from the rest of the bed. Would give skin ops for both wood and fabric.

Many pillows in the middle ages were actually a long sack called a bolster, which was filled with fur or feathers. Then small individual pillows (also glorified sacks of feathers) were used for each individual sleeper.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

Bedlow3.png

I think the rim around the pillows give it that 'modern' look. But honestly I think it would look good in game.

cathedral-window-quilt.jpg

I was just thinking a basic diamond shape 'quilt' normal. Of course it could then be used with a multitude of plain fabrics diffuses to make skins. I would definitely use a different material on the sheets apart from the rest of the bed. Would give skin ops for both wood and fabric.

I'll try to do a pattern like that, thanks.

Many pillows in the middle ages were actually a long sack called a bolster, which was filled with fur or feathers. Then small individual pillows (also glorified sacks of feathers) were used for each individual sleeper.

Good to know, but I think I'll keep the pillows as this is probably what people would expect pillows to look like back then as well.

Bedlow4.png

It landed on 2882 polys.

I painted some vertex colors for the bedding and the pillows but apparently only the pillows vcolors work for some reason, but hopefully they'll work in-game.

Also sorry for the dark picture yesterday, it was a lot brighter in Blender and Photoshop for some reason. [EDIT] And todays picture got extra contrasted and darkened as well.

Oh that looks much more convincing Noss! <3

"No proposition Euclid wrote,

No formulae the text-books know,

Will turn the bullet from your coat,

Or ward the tulwar's downward blow

Strike hard who cares—shoot straight who can—

The odds are on the cheaper man."

From 'Arithmetic on the Frontier' by Rudyard Kipling

Oh that looks much more convincing Noss! <3

Thats looks very nice there young Noss.

Thanks!

I'm working on the material right now for my bed and I'm unsure if I should make a material for the bedding as it is just using a tiling texture that supposed to be mixed with 10+ diffuse textures (would have to make a lot of materials for all of those) while I also want the vertex colors multiplied over the diffuse texture (essentially AO). I also want the same for my pillows (but without the quilt texture) what should I do?

Well, You can try materials with blends, then just use an Ao texture, and blend the color diffuse over it. Though it's really tough to get the colors you want from my attemtps.

Or you can just use an AO, and it can be colored by RGB in materials. Probably the best bet, good shading in ao and authors can pick any color they want. Plus there's no texture bloat for the mod.

Either way you need a material made, it's super easy to copy/paste. My flowers are done that way. AO texture, rgb blend.

Would be much easier for you to experiment if you just took a little time to get stuff in game yourself.

Well, You can try materials with blends, then just use an Ao texture, and blend the color diffuse over it. Though it's really tough to get the colors you want from my attemtps.

In that case I'd need two UV-sets. One for the AO and one for the diffuse (which is ATM scaled bigger than the 0-1 UV range). I also think the AO is simple enough in this case to just use vcolors.

Or you can just use an AO, and it can be colored by RGB in materials. Probably the best bet, good shading in ao and authors can pick any color they want. Plus there's no texture bloat for the mod.

Either way you need a material made, it's super easy to copy/paste. My flowers are done that way. AO texture, rgb blend.

I want mappers to be able to choose any texture they want for the bedding and then make matching pillows with that and make it possible for them to match it with mostly any other piece of furniture so that's why I wanted to choose a good method where it wouldn't be necessary to make a new skin for each variation. Ideally it'd be possible to modify an existing material inside DR to change diffuse-, normal- and specularmaps (and more) so that mappers could mix however they wanted instead of only relying on ready-made skins and materials and DR would automatically generate a new material for that. That'd be such a great system for mappers (I think, I'm not one of them but it'd potentially create a lot more variation) and artists (doesn't need to make a 100 variations of a material), but I'm not naive enough to believe it'll ever get implemented (if it would've been as easy as it sounds, it should've already been made).

Would be much easier for you to experiment if you just took a little time to get stuff in game yourself.

I know and that is what I were going to do this time (even though I find it very tedious and boring). I was just unsure about how I should approach this issue.

Well, there are tuts for making blended terrain using v colors. But it's only black/white. And white is material a (grass) and black is material b (dirt).

It's good for making a patch in DR like you want, exporting to 3d, painting where you want the blend, then importing as an object.

However I tried it with black and white just for Ao on one of my pots that has 10 standard materials used for skins. But I couldn't get it to work. The only way i see that working is to have 2 materials, the base and a darker base. So you'd be fading basically the same material into a darker vers of itself.

But honestly I don't see a material editor for objects anytime soon, that's a whole coding issue that is very complicated for something we can already do pretty simply.

Skins take mere seconds to assign to any object and with good base material fabrics can be used on a lot of objects. So having 10 materials for the blanket isn't bad, that's also 10 that can be used as wallpaper, curtains, or any other fabric. Not having AO really isn't that big of a deal for the mod because nothing really has it. So having it actually makes it stand out more.

But I feel like i've said all this 10 times.