My jaw literally dropped on seeing that <3 <3 <3

"No proposition Euclid wrote,

No formulae the text-books know,

Will turn the bullet from your coat,

Or ward the tulwar's downward blow

Strike hard who cares—shoot straight who can—

The odds are on the cheaper man."

From 'Arithmetic on the Frontier' by Rudyard Kipling

Looks great! I had these in mind for builders, who never seemed quite right to me with a bow.

Looks cool indeed.

But there are three problems with the function: first you couldnt rotate the crank when the sinew is nearly at the ent (thatswhy historical crossbows use the crank on top or at the end of the shaft)

and second the shorter bows have to be behind the long ones, so u can use also theyr power for the shot. Also they can be tied to the longer ones but that is a higher risk for mechanical break down.

and the magazine should also be on top (http://www.arrowmania.de/bilder/pfeilewerfer/repeating-crossbow.jpg). I mean yes it is possible in this way but the complex mechanism for this is a bit "overpowered" for a steampunk world isnt it ?

Please dont see this as a hard critisism...i see this only from the point of a historical interested engineer and not as a gamer.

Mmm.. Most excellent. Is that gonna be AI useable in-game? Elite crossbow archers with repeating crossbows!

that's fantastic! B)

Inspiring stuff goes on here :) Great works!

Looks great! I had these in mind for builders, who never seemed quite right to me with a bow.

Thanks a lot, everybody!

My jaw literally dropped on seeing that <3 <3 <3

Thanks! I'm using Blenders new Cycles render engine so that's part of why it looks so good (that and excellent modeling). It is a physically correct engine that takes a rather long time to render the models so I'm sorry but the final result won't look as good in-game.

Well, to be honest I didn't like the handle part. I have never seen something like that before in medieval crossbows. It doesn't look like steampunk either. It just looks modern to me. Am I the only one on that?

Yeah, I'm very unsure about it myself too. It looks cool on the concept but I don't think it really works in 3D. I'll probably skip it for the next update.

Looks cool indeed.

But there are three problems with the function: first you couldnt rotate the crank when the sinew is nearly at the ent (thatswhy historical crossbows use the crank on top or at the end of the shaft)

and second the shorter bows have to be behind the long ones, so u can use also theyr power for the shot. Also they can be tied to the longer ones but that is a higher risk for mechanical break down.

and the magazine should also be on top (http://www.arrowmani...ng-crossbow.jpg). I mean yes it is possible in this way but the complex mechanism for this is a bit "overpowered" for a steampunk world isnt it ?

Yeah, I'm no history buff so I didn't really think about any of those things. I'm not really sure if I can address those problems without some major redesigns that would make it look a lot less cool, so I'm not sure I'll actually deal with them. All I really did was follow the concept art as I assumed that it'd be a somewhat plausible design.

Please dont see this as a hard critisism...i see this only from the point of a historical interested engineer and not as a gamer.

Yeah, I don't mind some constructive criticism, quite the opposite actually as it helps me make better models. I don't think I'll change the design to make it more realistic though because I don't think anyone would really notice it in-game and as I said it'd take some major redesigning. Thanks for the critique anyway!

Well, to play devil's advocate. That lever could be a ratchet, or just a one pull pump. It doesn't have to be a wind-up.

It might looks a bit high tech atm, but it looks like plastic and smoked chrome in the render. I thik in wood brass and dirt it's going to look very steampunk.

I say leave it as is, it is very close to the concept.

As far as the wishbones up front, whther or not it's the best 'realistic mechanical advantage' or not. It will look better from players perspective with them outside.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Well, to play devil's advocate. That lever could be a ratchet, or just a one pull pump. It doesn't have to be a wind-up.

Yeah, I guess it could, but I think it makes the silhouette a bit richer and makes the weapon look a bit more exotic, so I'd prefer to keep it.

It might looks a bit high tech atm, but it looks like plastic and smoked chrome in the render. I thik in wood brass and dirt it's going to look very steampunk.

I were going to make those materials and were just going to make a little test-render with Cycles with it as I haven't used it so much (this is my second project that I've used cycles, here the first, you might recognize it) but it turned out so good that I decided to post it. Making good materials with Cycles is pretty hard IMO so I just went with the default metal and a basic clay material.

As far as the wishbones up front, whther or not it's the best 'realistic mechanical advantage' or not. It will look better from players perspective with them outside.

Yeah that's what I thought too.

I didn't mean to change the design of the lever, just saying that it could mechanically work like a pump/ratchet. ie: One push down and it springs back, and that pulls the string. (no need to wind it several times). Or if it's a ratchet it could be a few pumps for a full draw.

But an ai anim is probably easier to just do a shoot, one pump.. shoot, one pump.

I were going to make those materials and were just going to make a little test-render with Cycles with it as I haven't used it so much (this is my second project that I've used cycles, here the first, you might recognize it) but it turned out so good that I decided to post it. Making good materials with Cycles is pretty hard IMO so I just went with the default metal and a basic clay material.

WOW! I thought that was a photo - usually I am not so easily fooled by computer art. Just wow.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

I guess the private guards of the underground boss see the city watch repeating bow and then continue the arms race with this:

http://www.instructables.com/community/Van-Helsing-Crossbow/

:D

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

But it packs much more of a punch:

(I guess it is compressed-gas powered)

WOW! I thought that was a photo - usually I am not so easily fooled by computer art. Just wow.

Thanks! I think it's pretty obviously fake because there's no dirt, imperfections and the liquid isn't particularly realistic either IMO, but it's easier for the artist to see those things I suppose.

That looks like a toy gun compared to ours. B)

Maybe but it'll be a great reference for some extra details anyway so thank you, Tels, for the link.

Btw, one more point in the spirit of "our crossbow is fake and wouldn't work": The reason why the magazin did sit on top with vertical bolt storage is:

* gravity loads the bolts down, only needs a small spring to assist - not a large moveable part (which could easily fail in battle)

* the magazin is an add-on, and replaceable, which gets you quick-loading so to speak

In our side-swiveling version, I am not even sure how you load new bolts in it. Swing the magazin out very far, then somehow fumble them in? So far I am leaning more to the realistic design - why come up with wonky-non-working designs if there is a historical model?

I just supposed it would get reloaded more or less like an

and other modern guns in that you just switch out the whole magazine.

I like this design as it's a bit more exotic and more challenging to make than a regular crossbow.

Changing th mag means also that you have to carry some of them with you and they are all of medal. That would become heavy and difficult to handle.

And a modern weapon drag a new round automatically out of the mag. And thats with the power of the bolt, which is getting the power from the gaspressure from the previous shot (gas operated weapon). This mechanism can also done by bending the bow but that is much more complicate than to use the gravity. Also you need a spring to push the bolts out of the mag and for this you need spring steel....this is clearly to modern...but yes the normal gamer wouldnt think about this ;)

Edited by Johannes Burock

This is a world where steam-powered lanterns can walk around and identify intruders and a thief can climb a rope that hangs from a wooden arrow...I don't think we need to get too hung up on the practicality of a crossbow design.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've started working on the highpoly version of the new zombie model. Here's how he looks right now:

Zombiehigh1-1.png

I will obviously make some wounds and such on him (for the face I'll make a skull underneath and just sculpt away the flesh), but I wanted some feedback on his basic shape first. I wanted him to look very starved but I'm not sure if I pulled it off or if he needs to be even thinner. I'm also not satisfied with the feet yet as they feel very flat and boring. What do you think?

Here's the concept I got from Julio:

ZombieConcept2.jpg

I think I'll shorten the pants and have corrected some of the proprtions (dat neck) but otherwise this is basically the design I'm following.

The anatomy looks a bit off now. I'd suggest just trying to find some anatomy drawings of humans and go off of those...

Or find pics of a skeleton, and just use that. Seems to me you are somewhere in between trying to make a human and emancipating it. A skeleton would give you a really solid shape to just 'skin'. It'll show correct proportions, where all the bumps need to be, etc...

The concept is a bit cartoony, bad proportions, freddy kruger hands (we don't want that),

charlie-brown-skeleton.png

human-skeleton-johan-georg-heck.jpg

georg-heck-anatomy-muscles.jpg

http://drawsketch.about.com/od/humananatomy/Human_Anatomy_for_Artists.htm

The current zombie with the rotten skin works very well in my opinion and should probably be studied.

I agree with Baddcog about using an accurate human body as a base for your model (thats not to diminish your current work which is looking quite good so far, specially the head). Im sure there are dozens of free human models around for you to work upon, wouldnt that be easier?

As far as the actual zombie, Im not really up to date with modern game zombies, so wouldnt know about references, but you could probably make a choice between two types - a somewhat intact zombie like you see already in the mod or in most movies (walking dead series, 28 days later, etc), like this:

reach_by_lex_strat-d4rpow0.jpg

zombie_model_pack_by_deviantvicky-d33ni3g.jpg

(Maybe this is free, I dont know? Zombie Model Pack)

Or a really decomposed one, getting pretty close to being a skeleton:

tarman.jpg

I would also either go for a naked zombie or a fully clothed one, but in rags, like the pic.

Edited by RPGista

So far it resembles a lot a mannequin or a crash-test dummy, but realize it is very WIP.

Those skeleton/muscle scetches BC showed would probably be a step to the correct direction. How to add wounds and damage to that is beyond me and I'm afraid of doing google image search on those.. I imagine it is difficult to get the style we have in TDM from a cartoony scetch.

What kind of face the zombie should have? RPGista's suggestion looks a bit polished, vampire type. Here is one a bit more decomposed face: Harold. It is a bit along the one in the scetch.

HubHarold.png

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.