The Dark Mod Forums

Readable Editor Doesn't Work

Winter

The readable editor keeps crashing on me. On the wiki guide it says to disable compatibility? I don't know what that means. When I right click on Darkradiant and go in to properties all my compatibility options are greyd out anyway. Any help please.

Thank you.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Are you using Vista?

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|

Do you have a multicore CPU? (Windowskey + Pause break to see)

Than set the core affinity for DR.

To do this:

1. Right click taskbar, click "Task Manager", click processes

2. Open DR, while it is loading, right click on DarkRadiant.exe and click "Set Affinity..."

3. Unselect all cores but "CPU 0"

See if that helps

|=-=------=-=|

Moddb

|=-=------=-=|

:(

|=-=------=-=|

Moddb

|=-=------=-=|

There shouldn't be any reason to set affinity, as far as I know. I'm running a multi core and everything works fine. The wiki should really say "disable desktop composition". This can be done from within Dark Radiant now. Click "Edit", "Preferences", and go to the compatibility option. Put a check mark in disable desktop composition. Restart DR and see if that helps.

There shouldn't be any reason to set affinity, as far as I know. I'm running a multi core and everything works fine. The wiki should really say "disable desktop composition". This can be done from within Dark Radiant now. Click "Edit", "Preferences", and go to the compatibility option. Put a check mark in disable desktop composition. Restart DR and see if that helps.

Yes, I realize that now. I've been a bit out of the loop.

|=-=------=-=|

Moddb

|=-=------=-=|

There shouldn't be any reason to set affinity, as far as I know. I'm running a multi core and everything works fine.

Same here and Im running Win7x86 and the readable editor works just fine for me.

But I have to ask what version of Vista are you running, its if the x64 version this 'might' be responsible for the crashing, but as NH said setting compatibility mode should help.

The Readables Editor crashes on my desktop computer (WinXP), but works just fine on my laptop (x64 Vista) w/o me having to tweak anything.

With Greebo's help, I debugged the desktop problem to a crash in the OpenGL libraries. I didn't research beyond that point, since I can still create readables by hand or on the laptop.

The Readables Editor crashes on my desktop computer (WinXP), but works just fine on my laptop (x64 Vista) w/o me having to tweak anything.

With Greebo's help, I debugged the desktop problem to a crash in the OpenGL libraries. I didn't research beyond that point, since I can still create readables by hand or on the laptop.

What graphics card does your desktop have? Is it using the default windows driver? If so, download the latest driver from the vendor and reinstall. Windows drivers aren't that great when it comes to OpenGL support.

@NH Disabling the desktop compisition didn't do the trick unfortunately.

@biker I have an NVidia geforce 9600 gso. The driver says its what was the latest driver from the nvidia website of March last year.

I can't believe I spent the last two months of my free time working on a map for the vertical contest just for the readable editor to not work. This is typical :(

I don 't suppose that if someone is kind enough I can send them my map with the txts and instructions with which readables to put them in that they would do the honours? Although now that I think about it I suppose if the readable editor doesn't work the objects editor wont work either :(

You could bite the bullet and manually make the .xd file yourself

|=-=------=-=|

Moddb

|=-=------=-=|

@biker I have an NVidia geforce 9600 gso. The driver says its what was the latest driver from the nvidia website of March last year.

I can't believe I spent the last two months of my free time working on a map for the vertical contest just for the readable editor to not work. This is typical

Hmm I dont recomend useing the latest driver, as it will have been optimized for the latest cards GF200 onwards etc. I would go back to the same version as the the one that shipped with vista - http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_174.16.html

And its not all bad, you can edit .xd files in notepad just remember to turn wordwrap off.

@NH Disabling the desktop compisition didn't do the trick unfortunately.

I can't believe I spent the last two months of my free time working on a map for the vertical contest just for the readable editor to not work. This is typical :(

I don 't suppose that if someone is kind enough I can send them my map with the txts and instructions with which readables to put them in that they would do the honours? Although now that I think about it I suppose if the readable editor doesn't work the objects editor wont work either :(

Yes, I'll do it for you. If you can zip it all up and upload it somewhere and pm me the url I'll type or paste the texts in. If you haven't anywhere to upload then possibly you could copy and paste your text and map into spoiler or code tags in a pm.

Try the objectives editor. It might be fine. Hope you are using startmap or the objectives prefab to make it easier.

That is very kind of you Fidcal. Thank you very much.

@biker that driver you linked me too is for XP and I use Vista. I searched for a driver for my graphics card but couldn't find it listed anywhere in the drop down menus. Thank you for trying to help though.

Thanks to everyone who replied. I really appreciate your efforts to help :)

@biker that driver you linked me too is for XP and I use Vista. I searched for a driver for my graphics card but couldn't find it listed anywhere in the drop down menus. Thank you for trying to help though.

doh, here you go -

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?cat=32&sort=&page=4

it has all the driver from the latest to the very earliest.

I feel so retarded. I accidently put a readable into my map that was from the model list and not the entity list and was trying to get the readable editor to work on it. Doh!

Thanks for all the replies but nevertheless I'm still stuck on readables. I've entered the text and saved it and when I go into the game I frob the readable nothing happens. Here is a screenshot of my readable editor if it helps.

post-3665-128180049803_thumb.jpg

I feel so retarded. I accidently put a readable into my map that was from the model list and not the entity list and was trying to get the readable editor to work on it. Doh!

So it works now? Hmn, it shouldn't crash though when you open it on a model... Weird!

• 1 month later...

Ok, I too am having readable editor crashes.

Using win xp SP2

radeon 1950XTX

catalyst 9.11

desktop, not a laptop

not running DR in any compatibility mode

catalyst AI is disabled (just in case someone tries to blame it)

DR crashes instantly every time upon opening any existing readable from FM's i've downloaded. Have tried placing the xdata folder in darkmod directory, and in the mission subfolder that i extracted the pk4 to, with Mod (fs_game) set to that mission folder (and after restarting DR).

Tried placing new readables then editing them in my own FM's i've been working on now, and i can edit a couple lines, then as I was typing in the title name, CRASH.

Not sure whats going on here, but its driving me nuts.