The Dark Mod Forums

Readable Editor Doesn't Work

Winter

The only thing I can suggest is that you install Visual Studio 2008 Express C++ (or the full version) and download the source code. Then run a debug build to try and get some useful info for the coders, so they can maybe help you out.

I just installed and built from source in less than 1 hour, it doesn't take any technical knowledge really.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Edit: Ah OK, Fidcal already answered the question. But still, if those guis are obsolete, why do you have them? :)

Probably just overlooked. There is a lot of stuff on SVN and when the release was made it was a big task to pick through it all to decide what goes in the release pk4s.There may even be some useful stuff in that test folder - I was just guessing it might be part of the problem.

That missing gui I think I already fixed in the next update. Of all the guis in all the world...

What's this about the spacebar causing the crashes? Is it only the spacebar?

no just surprised that 'enter' doesn't crash it, but spacebar does. i figured the crashes came from that preview window not wanting to display the fonts. thus far, 'enter' is the only character i've found that does not crash that readable editor when input to the title or body sections.

That's because Enter is no actual character in the font-texture, but space is. So this discovery pretty much nails it down: The font rendering is broken on your side!

You might still try out what Al-Haste just suggested, but I have little trust in this to work out properly.

yeah no problem, i got all day today

Before I'm going to suggest setting up a compilation environment for DarkRadiant, let's have a go with this:

- Make sure you're using the 32 bit version of DarkRadiant. The x64 build won't cut it for GLIntercept

- Download GLintercept, here is a direct download link: http://glintercept.nutty.org/Ver0_5/GLIntercept0_5.exe

- Run the installer, it will create a new folder in C:\Program Files (or C:\Program Files (x86) if you are on an x64 system).

- In that folder, locate the file opengl32.dll and

- Copy the files OpenGL32.dll and gliConfig_FullDebug.ini to your DarkRadiant folder, the one where the DarkRadiant.exe is in.

- In the DarkRadiant folder, rename the gliConfig_FullDebug.ini file to gliConfig.ini

- Double-click DarkRadiant.exe, you should notice that a new text file is created gliLog.txt as soon as DarkRadiant.exe is starting up.

- Create a readable entity and open the Readable Editor, let it crash.

- There should be two text files after it crashed, the aforementioned gliLog.txt and a gliInterceptLog.txt file. I need to see these files.

While trying to replicate the same error as Ungoliant, I stumbled across my own crash bug in regards to the readable editor. I'm running the 64bit SVN build, checked out and built yesterday.

My steps to reproduce:

1) In darkradiant create any readable entity. I used atdm:readable_mobile_book01

2) Select the entity and open the readable editor.

3) Click in the XData Name field without typing

4) Click the X to close the Window and POOF, DarkRadiant crashes.

Can someone else confirm this please.

no windows message. straight to desktop.

That's probably because you have the "Error Reporting" service disabled?

Anyways, I'm compiling a new x86 test build for you, but the fix is not much more than an educated guess, so it might not solve the issue. I'll post back here when it's done, it'll take about 20-30 minutes.

probably not, because i don't even know where to find that, lol. anyway, i've definitely run into another DR crash in the past 24 hours that caused a windows error message to pop up when it crashed, which was when i decided to test out the f3 button.

probably not, because i don't even know where to find that, lol. anyway, i've definitely run into another DR crash in the past 24 hours that caused a windows error message to pop up when it crashed, which was when i decided to test out the f3 button.

@Greebo

Ungoliant has Teamviewer installed on his pc so you can setup either a VPN or RemotDesktop session if you want to troubleshoot on the fly. I will go on msn to He chat to me if needs be..

@Ungoliant

To enable/disable windows error reporting service -

Open Control Panel.

Click on Performance and Maintenance.

Click on System.

Then click on the Advanced tab.

Click on the error-reporting button on the bottom of the windows.

Select Disable/enable error reporting.

Click [OK] [OK]

or

[start] [Run] [Regedit]

Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\PCHealth\ErrorReporting

Modify/Create the Value Name according to the Value Data listed below.

Data Type: REG_DWORD [Dword Value] // Value Name: DoReport

Value Data: [0 = Don't Send Reports / 1 = Do Send Reports]

Exit Registry and Reboot

-_-

Edited by Bikerdude

Hm, then Windows is not associating the crash with DarkRadiant. Maybe because it is happening in the drivers, don't know.

Here's a test build for you, please check it out: http://www.dramtheth...t-1.5.0pre5.exe

@Biker: yeah, I know Teamviewer, but my main problem is finding a continuous piece of time to sit on the PC. With a running baby in the house this is somewhat difficult, so these remote sessions would probably turn into a patience test for anybody involved. But I still have your offer in the back of my head to run a remote debugging session using the 1.5.0pre-releases. I'll be off to sleep in a few minutes.

ak we have reinstalled windows but still DR is crashingm but atleast this time the error reporting service came up with an error - "atioglxx.dll"

Now I seem to remember that some taffers have had issue with this file and D3/DR...

-_-

Ati OpenGL, didn't he already update the drivers though?

I can try to change the way the GUI renderer dispatches the draw calls for the text, but this takes a while. It would be nice to have some sort of GL debugger which tells me exactly what the problem is, I have no idea what I might be doing wrong.

That said, I'm soon going to get a new laptop with an ATI card, so with a bit of bad luck I'm going to experience this problem myself.