The Dark Mod Forums

A game taffers might like...

Bikerdude

I wouldn't go that far. What's to stop someone from saying TDM stole mantling from Thief and combat from Mount & Blade. I think it's perfectly acceptable to adopt and reuse features and mechanics from other games when they are proven to work well.

That aside I don't believe anyone can do anything about it aside from pout. You need money to take these things to court and with TDM being free, what does a thief have to fear?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just tried out the demo, and I love it. Have played a lot of horror games, but it is very well done. I already ordered mine. Terrible terrible effects are included. The graphics, although could have been nicer, but if it does not sink into the game employs a look. I still need headphones because the old faults are in contact. I particularly liked the lamp that you could see the player's hand. It would be nice if you would be able to use TDM. As I did not like the projection of shadows. So I have 10 / 9

TDM team:

Whats the score on if we find other games that have used TDM IP..? in this case the way this game manipulates objects is so close to the way TDM does it its possible the idea was ripped from TDM..

If we find other games that have ripped stuff from TDM how would we handle it..?

In Penumbra: Black Plague you can already rotate holding objects(Though I haven´t played Amnesia demo, I guess this is what you are referring to?), and this came out 2008, and it´s a little improvement to the first Episode, which they worked on, well, the first tech-demo was from 2006?

It´s true, Amnesia and Penumbra remind strongly of TDM, but it´s a good thing, isn´t it? It´s not code they (most likely not) ripped, but ideas, and that´s fine, because we/players only profit from it. :)

And because TDM is under open license, is there even any way to protect IP? Literally it´s ripe for the feeding, isn´t it?

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

So, SneaksiDave, are you going on in Penumbra Ep.1? Because I have here a funny screenshot I took after

the second worm. Don´t worry, that will be the last one.

Also it´s not long to the end and then tell me if you saw a credits-screen, because I didn´t.

Ah, I´ll post the shot anyway, I´ll put it in spoiler, though it´s not really a spoiler, but if you haven´t read the first spoilers this won´t make sense:

I was so scared after the worm was gone that I barricaded the entry of the next room with all I was able to find. Note the boot as the key-structure! :laugh:

And after you´re past the

second/last worm tell me how many tries it took you, will ya? I took at least eight! I was so annoyed because thirst I didn´t know what to do. And after every stage I thought, alright, that´s it, but it was not!! I don´t like that 'Trail & Error'-gameplay, destroys immersion a lot... :angry:

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more

Phew, this game is sick. Even better than Penumbra, but also a lot more exhausting. Have to take a little break for now... :) There have been quite a few moments of shock and fear in the past two hours of gameplay, but also some great adventure gameplay, which the player is really thankful for. Some relaxation after all the horror.

Yeah. I'm at one part that I'm too damned scared to keep going, but I don't want to have to resort to a youtube walkthrough. What an internal crisis! Maybe I'll try again when the sun is out and shining, rather than in an empty dark room.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

I finished the game!

It's not bad at all, but i'm little bit disappointed if i compare it with Penumbra, because i don't see a lot of progression in game design and game innovation.

I think that some Thief missions are a *LOT* more horror and with more complex/interesting/interactive puzzles/gameplay/immersion

More: the physic intercation it's fantastic here, but also not really used in the game with his maximum potential. I think it was used more (and better) in the first Penumbra. I like the fact that you can only escape from enemies, but also here, this mechanism it's not well used.

Other aspect of the game that i don't like:

1) Puzzles are *really* too simple (maybe for us Taffers... :-))

2) The interaction it's not so good because tools and items are completely forced with words and actions. It seems always that you are not free to do actions.

3) You have ALWAYS (in every script progression of the game) some narrative animation that completely stops immersion, pretty boring at some stage

Rather then that i'm very very happy supporting these guys, that with zero-money and a lot of passion created this cute game! Indy games are always cool.

Edited by Ladro

Truthfully, I agree with your last three points.

But I have not played a Thief FM with the psychological horror Amnesia has. Any dummy can go "BOO!" as scare a player once, but to utilize and twist natural human analysis is pretty special. Taffers love gameplay way too much to sacrifice it in favor of evoking emotions, or drawing a special type of atmosphere, forcing players to reckon with whatever horror they can imagine, not always what they see.

If you do know of such a mission, please let me know. Rose Cottage tried very hard to, and sometimes succeeded, but did not disturb me enough. You can also blame how we all know the engine mechanics of Thief extremely well, and we are left guessing in this largely unfamiliar engine Amnesia uses.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

I have played the first Penumbra and enjoyed the puzzles and physics interaction, all the horror and mood was an interesting addition and the combat was absolutely unnecessary and almost ruined the experience.

So I'm curious about this game, as it could be an upgrade on the Penumbra series! But the usual comments confirm that the only real upgrade, relative to my personal impressions, is that you can't fight the enemies.

Still, this is the kind of game that pushes the envelope, teaches the industry of what more you can do in game development.

I haven't played the (full) Penumbra games, but it seems Amnesia is much less about puzzle solving than its predecessors. There is an early gameplay preview that shows a more involved version of

the acid mixing puzzle. It looked like you had to turn the valves on and off in a specific order.

The puzzles are simple but it's about the experience and I don't have a problem with this; the game is great as it is. I have never felt so tense just opening a door in a game.

So I'm curious about this game, as it could be an upgrade on the Penumbra series! But the usual comments confirm that the only real upgrade, relative to my personal impressions, is that you can't fight the enemies.

Don't forget the graphics. :) They did some great work here, besides the usage of low-res textures. It also feels a bit monotonous at times, as there is one brick texture which has been used really a lot!!

Don't forget the graphics. :) They did some great work here, besides the usage of low-res textures. It also feels a bit monotonous at times, as there is one brick texture which has been used really a lot!!

I agree. I really like the graphics of this game, a lot more then Penumbra series. Especially water/sewer levels and final stage, as you say they are a little bit monotene, but really effective and calibrate to design.

The puzzles are simple but it's about the experience and I don't have a problem with this

IMHO it's not (only) about the complexity fo puzzles, but how we have to interact with items and enviroment to solve. You are really forced to read written suggestions to solve, all it's too guided for my taste, this stops immersion.

Anyway, as said, it's a very good indy game.

Edited by Ladro

Very unspecific classification of the ending. No actual spoiler:

There's no open end, but there are three possible endings. One being kind of nicely atmospheric, but the others being rather crappy. I don't think there's gonna be any follow up content on that story.

No bugs, but I can't remember how long Penumbra was. I also always have a hard time estimating how long I have been playing a certain game. Some games feel long because they are not as entertaining as others, so a faulty estimation is highly probable. I'd estimate my playtime in this game to 6 to 10 hours, while notifying the reader, that I had a blast playing it. So it might have been longer. :)

Well I guess there probably won't be another one. It sounds like it's being pirated like crazy. <_<

http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&boardid=1&threadid=114332

With that, I wonder if the editor will even come.

Fuck's sake, people. If you want good games from good indies especially, pay them.

Reading that postmortem, for as much as many of us bitch about consolization, vapidware, "mass appeal", the causal-gaming trend, etc -- it's disheartening to see a good company put out a good game and be so financially distressed that it's pressured in these directions just like everybody else, and it's hard not to see their point of view.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

That´s what I wanted to post, well, too late. :)

I bought the game as well, though I would´ve liked a retail-version more, but I don´t like to dust anyway...

I guess sales will raise when the retail-versions arrive? Normally I wait until prizes drop (and patches arrive) but in this case there is not much room for this, but the low prize also let´s me fear that it will be a very short game, like Penumbra Ep.1 was, but I guess even more that it would´ve been much more risky to make it a full-size/prize game and then realizing it was a waste of money, I don´t know. -_-

-> Crisis of Capitalism

-> 9/11 Truth

->

(hard stuff), more