The Dark Mod Forums

Relighting Lights in 1.06

grayman

The AI are once again commenting about and relighting doused flames in TDM 1.06, and turning electric lights back on for the first time.

The Editing and AI sections of the Wiki now contain a link to a Relighting Lights article describing the new behavior. In that article, you can learn how to adjust your lights and AI to give you the type of behavior that best fits your FM.

Please post comments/questions here.

YES YES YES!!!

Will these changes also apply to FMs that were released earlier? I remember that it bugged me in Sons of Baltona (from Carnage) that the AIs couldn't relight the electrical lights.

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

YES YES YES!!!

Will these changes also apply to FMs that were released earlier? I remember that it bugged me in Sons of Baltona (from Carnage) that the AIs couldn't relight the electrical lights.

Yeah, they will apply to previous maps without the need of updating if the mapper has put "shouldbeon 1" on the lights that should be on. Then the AI has a chance of relighting them. The shouldbeon defaults to 0, which means the AI will only comment the light, but will not light it.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I've taken to throwing candles far away after pinching them, behind bookcases or with the rest of the bodies. Guess they won't be relighting those, huh?

They don't relight non-vertical candles.

Candles now go out 5 seconds after becoming non-vertical.

Non-vertical candles held by the player stay lit.

AI won't relight a doused candle held by the player.

Candles now go out 5 seconds after becoming non-vertical.

This is a change in behaviour that we'll need to be vocal about as well...it opens up some new gameplay options, like knocking candles over at a distance to put them out.

This is a change in behaviour that we'll need to be vocal about as well...it opens up some new gameplay options, like knocking candles over at a distance to put them out.

I'll expand the AI Behaviour section of the Gameplay article.

Edit: Done, along with an added comment in the Junk Objects: Candles section of the same article.

I'm too cheap to put out candles with a water arrow, that's why I use broadheads.

I'm too expensive to put out candles with a water arrow, that's why I use fire arrows. (I ran out of gas arrows)

Edited by jaxa

I was gonna add an AI section to the 1.06 release notes wiki for this change (and link to your wiki) but I was afraid it was being held as a sort of surprise. I presume it's alright to add this then? :unsure:

Edit:

BTW... This is GREAT!!! :)

Edited by nbohr1more

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I was gonna add an AI section to the 1.06 release notes wiki for this change (and link to your wiki) but I was afraid it was being held as a sort of surprise. I presume it's alright to add this then?

Yes, go ahead.

I wanted to post something now to catch anyone who's getting close to releasing a mission, so they could plan for the changes.

It does sometimes work already. I still recall the time that Wickish relit an oil lamp in the library in Heart and caught me with my pants down near the little desk. I thought "You can't do that!" but he did. I think he was already on low alert search so maybe that was a factor. Perhaps there is some special code in the search code that already turns on unlit lights?