The Dark Mod Forums

Sir Taffsalot's mapping thread

Sir Taffsalot

Sir Taffsalot when the guard was teleported did you trigger him? I know when I was doing something similar it took me a bit of playing around but you have to trigger the guard not the path_waitfortrigger that the guard is targeting.

But if you have it all sorted then good stuff :)

• 4 weeks later...

I've put a blue flame in my map for a light source. While the flame is blue, the actual colour that the flame emits is orange/red, the colour of a natural flame. I used this coloured flame effect in Let Sleeping Thieves Lie and it worked fine. I tried just copying the blue flame from my old map into my new map and it still emits a natural flame colour. Anyone able to tell my how I can get the blue flame to emit blue light?

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

l9ef.jpg

zkkc.jpg

Here are some screenshots to illustrate my point. The first picture is from Let Sleeping Thieves Lie and the second is from my WIP. As you can see, both pictures have blue flames in them. However, in the first one, the flames emit blue light. In the second they emit normal coloured light. How can I get the lights in the second picture to emit the same color as in the first?

• Like 1

The Joker

The blue light is a specific entity (look for it under lights -> light sources -> torch flames). If you spawn one you can look at it and see what value the "_color" spawnarg has, and then use that spawnarg on your other light. Alternatively, you can use the first step in my optimization trick here (http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/15761-one-solution-to-overlapping-lights/page__fromsearch__1) to remove the default light on your second light and directly bind the blue light entity to it.

Btw, the WIPs look good, but you might want to try making the bricks larger - right now they're really small :-).

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

From http://forums.thedar...post__p__248697

set _color on flame 0.9 0.8 0.7

You'd want a lower first (red), middle (green) and higher last number (RGB). 0 0 1 would be full blue, 0.5 0.5 1 would be a lighter blue.

Edited by RJFerret

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

Thanks for the reply Moonbo.

1. When I insert the blue torch flame into DR and dmap then it is blue. Fine. But when I try and resize the light source it starts to emit the normal flame colour when I dmap again.

2. When I select the blue flame in DR I can see no def_attach spawnarg

The Joker

Hey SirTaffs,

Yeah, you'd only see def_attach on a torch entity and not on the light itself. How are you resizing the light? By changing the radius spawnarg?

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

From http://forums.thedar...post__p__248697

You'd want a lower first (red), middle (green) and higher last number (RGB). 0 0 1 would be full blue, 0.5 0.5 1 would be a lighter blue.

This works but as soon as I move the light entity or resize it it reverts back to the natural torch light

The Joker

Hey SirTaffs,

Yeah, you'd only see def_attach on a torch entity and not on the light itself. How are you resizing the light? By changing the radius spawnarg?

By moving it with the mouse.

How on earth can I have done this in my first map and 3 maps later an finding this to be impossible? :wacko:

The Joker

Hm, I would check to see if the rotation spawnarg is there. If there is, delete it. Then you might try to take the default _color spawnarg, and change it slightly so that it's unique to that light. Moving it around w/ the mouse really shouldn't do anything...

Edited by Moonbo

-Sun Myung Moon

I was afraid adding another light entity might confuse matters. Do you still have multiple light entities in your map?

I just added "set _color on flame 0 0 1" to a wall lamp, the light emitted was blue, moved it, still blue.

My first guess from earlier posts is that when you added the blue entity, the original still flame color entity was being enlarged beyond the scope of the blue (human eye doesn't pick up blue well), and both are still there giving unpredictable results.

PS: My wall lamp has a rotation value, no impact from that.

PPS: I know the feeling of having done stuff before that you don't recall how to recreate (or have used a different process in the future version). There's SO many complex processes to recall/deal with when mapping. Hence films and commercial games having different people for different parts.

Edited by RJFerret

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

Um, what def_attach are you using for the blue flame? "light_torchflame_blue" provides a blue light color on it's own, no need for set _color on flame at all, it just makes everything blue with no other effort! My guess is you have some other def attached instead?

There's an option for putting blue lighting in DR and ... It doesn't create blue ;lighting no matter what you do.

Erm...that's not the case, as I've done blue lighting via two completely different methods in the past ten minutes.

Both "light_torchflame_blue" works and separately "set _color on flame" "0 0 1" works (the latter requiring a blue flame in addition).

Hm...might be good to start from scratch:

1) Create the torch entity

2) Give it a def_attach spawnarg of "-"

3) Spawn a light_torchflame_blue and bind it to the torch

If you do that, do you still have the problem when you move around the light/torch?

-Sun Myung Moon

Gah, frustrating, I'd probably start fresh, remove any/all lights at that location, dmap to be sure it's all dark except for ambient, then add nothing other than your light to be sure there's only thing there.

Ninja'd by Moonbo. ;-) I'd go even simpler, I'd just spawn your torch, change it's def_attach to the "light_torchflame_blue" so there's no other complications/variables.

Edited by RJFerret

Ninja'd by Moonbo. ;-) I'd go even simpler, I'd just spawn your torch, change it's def_attach to the "light_torchflame_blue" so there's no other complications/variables.

No change.

My map has a winter theme and needs blue lighting. Until this is resolved there is no point in me working on this further. TDM bugs have made mapping impossible!

The Joker

I just added "light_torchflame_blue" to my map and it worked fine. I changed the size of the light, dmapped, loaded it, and the light was still blue as expected. What entity are you using?

bluelighttest.jpg

It looked like this light entity from your posted pic.

I applied set light_radius on flame 50 50 50 after rotating it and moving it to the other wall.

def_attach light_torchflame_blue

I didn't move from player start.

I'm still suspicious that there's an extra light entity or something funky like that in there frustrating you.

Edited by RJFerret

Gah, frustrating, I'd probably start fresh, remove any/all lights at that location, dmap to be sure it's all dark except for ambient, then add nothing other than your light to be sure there's only thing there.

Yeah I just deleted everything including the ambient light and just added them from scratch. I'm thinking that maybe I must have copied and pasted them from a light that had some spawnarg i wasn't aware of that was messing things up? I don't know. It seems OK now though. Many thanks for your help chaps.

@SirTaff, PM a link you map and I will have a look at it and see where your having your problem/s

Hows the PC btw..?

I works extremely well thank you. Maybe too well. It seems that no matter what i do I get 60 FPS. I have to use my old PC when dmapping to get a correct idea of what the FPS is on average PCs.

Edited by Sir Taffsalot
  • Like 1

The Joker