The Dark Mod Forums

Need ideas for my next mini FM

Fidcal

The Security Camera tutorials at Modwiki and Doom3world are the most we have regarding RemoteRenderMap behavior. Unfortunately, camera movement SDK work or scripting is a rare topic (though I imagine your cut-scene work is very similar):

Here is my last post about it:

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/12755-is-non-euclidian-geometric-level-design-possible/page__view__findpost__p__258402

Here is the Doom3world Security Camera tutorial thread:

http://www.doom3world.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3782

Here is the Doom3world "Prey Mod" thread:

http://www.doom3world.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12396&hilit=portal+sky

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

The Security Camera tutorials at Modwiki and Doom3world ...

Thanks. I'll take a look.

So far my rooftop mission hasn't had a need for this type of feature, but it has the potential for varying the 'landscape' so to speak. You can add only so many "tall foreground/middleground buildings" before they all start to look the same.

AWESOME!

If you get this working and Tels gets LOD levels working for Func_Portals then we can have

LOD 0 = Flat texture

LOD 1 = Cubemap

LOD 2 = RemoteRenderMap

LOD 3 = Portal Open

:D

LOVE the idea of a semi underground village - In my insane pie-in-the-sky thinking I doodled out FM ideas that will never be made - the first one was for a small primitive lighthouse and fishing village built into the side of a cliff / caves.

So, since your FM would be the closest thing to that I would play I'd love to see that . =-P

"No proposition Euclid wrote,

No formulae the text-books know,

Will turn the bullet from your coat,

Or ward the tulwar's downward blow

Strike hard who cares—shoot straight who can—

The odds are on the cheaper man."

From 'Arithmetic on the Frontier' by Rudyard Kipling

pie-in-the-sky thinking I doodled out FM ideas that will never be made

I have a whole notebook of them, like 50 or so, maybe half of them to the point where the maps and the plot outline are all written out. :P

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

here is an idea : player lurking in Plague ward.Than he founds the chest,picks lock,open chest and SUDDENLY lice and other parasites jumps on him !!! than player get a new objective : jump into a water and wash them out of his body.

i hope you like my little idea

Edited by Shadowhide

Proceed with caution!

I have quite a few ideas. One that I like but don't think I'll get around to building (I have other ideas i'd prefer to build maps for) is where you start doing an ordinary "steal a valuable from a mansion" type mission. When you nearly steal the valuable an alarm goes off. You realise you have been set up. The objectives change. First you have to escape the mansion with the guards on high alert. Then go back to your fence at the other end of the city to get revenge because he sold you out. As there are guards on the streets looking for you, you decide to go around the city travelling through a forest type pagan sanctuary. Maybe have a couple of abondoned farm houses and cottages along the way that are overgrown with plants and vines that the pagans now live in.

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

A mission at sea... You have been kidnapped by pirates who are going to sell you for ransom. They stuffed you in a (large) footlocker which you must pick your way out of from the inside (a hyper-difficult lock). You then have to work your way out of the bowels of the ship via a crate-moving puzzle in the ship's hold. After that, either an escape-the-ship* objective or capture/kill the captain and take over the ship.

* the lifeboat is undergoing repairs and you must gather materials to make those repairs before you can use it to finish the mission.

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

Some time ago I read this story: http://www.historyof...dex.php?id=2126 That would make a cool heist fm, steal a map of the world of TDM just before it's auctioned.

Or something that doesn't require a lot of environment to be built is a whodunnit murder in the hotel/tavern investigation. Find the killer by looking for clues and questioning people.

Thanks. I'll take a look.

So far my rooftop mission hasn't had a need for this type of feature, but it has the potential for varying the 'landscape' so to speak. You can add only so many "tall foreground/middleground buildings" before they all start to look the same.

I'm gonna add a link to this thread in tracker 678. ^_^

Some time ago I read this story: http://www.historyof...dex.php?id=2126 That would make a cool heist fm, steal a map of the world of TDM just before it's auctioned.

Or something that doesn't require a lot of environment to be built is a whodunnit murder in the hotel/tavern investigation. Find the killer by looking for clues and questioning people.

Wow - thanks for the link - it's very sad when things like that go missing but still, fires the imagination.

DID SOMEONE say bridge FM?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ponte_Vecchio

Notice how the shops and buildings are in the bridge (there is also a upper walkway/museum for the nobility to pass.

I think it would be pretty sweet to move around on the outer faces of the buildings with a illusion of fast moving water and object (barges etc), moving below. Enter the buildings, rainsack, get random patrols entering from street level, go out the window, maybe get into the noble walkway, maybe check out the bottom of the bridge somehow (metal railing?).

That's what I thought the basic idea was when I made my suggestion. The mission takes place in there. And the back-story about what lies on the other side is prelude (and flexible hearsay at that).

Perfect for a semi-small and contained mission; and also a good way to keep exercising your fictivities while building a bit of the Universe and opportunistically incorporating Nosslack's beautiful, but, as yet, not-completely-ready-to-be-integrated-but-certainly-a-good-prop plague mask.

• 2 weeks later...

Ooh, good link - that's something I've never seen before - and interesting for a surviving bridge of that sort since London Bridge has burnt down a couple of times and there's nothing quite like it now in England AFAIK.