The Dark Mod Forums

Thief Gold Thief The Circle ?

Garrett2014

Hey guys , Having a blast down memory lane and trying to get Thief Gold to run on XP. Well I got that done no problem but now looking at old web url bookmarks and it seems Thied The Circle is no more :/ or have they changed domain ? I cant seem to find them anyway so any info would be appreciated ! Im looking for a good archive for TG an T2 !!

Cheers

Garrett2014

Alright, thanks for the info ! Im struggling with getting it too work though ! Not the mod you suggested but Thief Gold itself. Ok The first problem was it wouldnt install but i followed this guide www.saleck.net/creations/gamefixguides/thief.php Ive encountered numerous problems since ! First is that I used TG Tool to get it all updated ! Next however was EAX dosent work ! And then I discover when I try to install 'New Dark' it needs the origonal .exe and offcourse TGTool overwrites that ! So I decide to skip the Missions as i completed them all first time round or attempt to improve the game and decide to go with playing FM's I install DarkLoader and add the -fm to the Target Path and then need to find the convict.osm from the Thief Scripts.zip to get DarkLoader to work 0_0 Ok I got that. It does work now and I can play Fan Missions but i still get an error The LG Renderer Direct Show filtter was not installed, and the file LGVID.AX can't be found. Sigh,, If i ignore it though it seems to load the fan mission anyway. It all just seems a bit of a mish mash unlike TDM which has a simple and clean install and method to play FM's Any info guides on the correct procedure or steps to take while installing would be appeciated. Id love to try the HD textures but when do i install them !

Ok Guys Ive got the HD mod to work and i have to say its AWSOME but the Water Mod thats packaged with it dosent. Says 7z is not a valid Win32 Application. On my origional topic , that of Thief-thecircle. Ive looked on a few websites that link to it but i cant get access to it. Can Anyone here access www.thief-thecircle.com ?

Ok Guys Ive got the HD mod to work and i have to say its AWSOME but the Water Mod thats packaged with it dosent. Says 7z is not a valid Win32 Application. On my origional topic , that of Thief-thecircle. Ive looked on a few websites that link to it but i cant get access to it. Can Anyone here access www.thief-thecircle.com ?

I can.

By the way: try www.ttlg.de

they are up to date with fan missions & patches.

There is a slight problem with the DNS entry of The Circle, but the site is up.

However, you need to add something in your c.\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file:

74.208.213.90 www.thief-thecircle.com

However, why do you need The Circle specifically ?

Their fan mission database is terribly outdated. Nothing got added there since jan 2009.

There is http://www.ttlg.com as a forum and http://thiefmissions.com for downloading fan-missions

With respect to the Gold Patch: there is currently an issue.

By accident the author added a 64bit 7-zip version inside which is required to extract the stuff.

An update should be availlable soon, I guess, so it will work for people with 32 bit OS as well.

Edited by gnartsch
  • Like 1

There is a slight problem with the DNS entry of The Circle, but the site is up.

However, you need to add something in your c.\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file:

74.208.213.90 www.thief-thecircle.com

They can fix that easily, no idea why they'd leave it running and let people think it's gone for good.

Don't know what exactly the problem is. Maybe it is not directly in the hands of the admins to fix?

http://www.ttlg.com/...l=1#post2224707

At any rate the problem is known for a while already.

EDIT: Oh, look at that.

Al_B stated that The Circle is up again. Just a few hours after this thread was opened.

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142777&p=2230176&viewfull=1#post2230176

So, no need to mess with the hosts file.

Edited by gnartsch

Don't know what exactly the problem is. Maybe it is not directly in the hands of the admins to fix?

http://www.ttlg.com/...l=1#post2224707

At any rate the problem is known for a while already.

Yeah, I was assuming there was human error in their control panel hooking up to the DNS server, but it's just that their DNS server's borked. This must be a separate event to when I tried it a month of two ago; I thought it was on-going.

Ok guys. I used a 7zip backup i had and deleted the 64 bit ver and renamed the version specific one i had to the same filename as the one i deleted. It now installs without an error but the cmd prompt window that loads while its doing its thing shows a lot of failed to find errors Its like the path is wrong somehow ! Its all the DEL /F"xxxxx_xx.png" files. They are all still zipped. What the hell is going on :/ Its basically trying todo something to the graphic files and then install 7zip at the end. Even after its already installed !. Id say the Water Mod Tool is Messed up somehow. I manually extracted the files and then re ran Instal Water Type and still having the same issue. It dosent install. Where should the water texxtures be located ?

BTW i can open thief-thecircle now but all the links are broken :/ Progress though . Looking at the alternatives mentioned as well. THX guys fo all the help.Much appreciated.

Well, actually you can blame me for that... at least to some extend.

Some time last year I was in contact with the person who maintains that site.

He was about to catch up with the TDM missions, but since TDM 2.0 was getting closer, I convinced him into delaying that action.

It was clear that a couple of the missions were outdated on thiefmissions, but it was also clear that quite a few mission would need to be updated for 2.0 again.

Now, with the lack of transparency which missions that would be, and the fact that the mission page on the TDM site does not even show the date of the updates for any mission, it would have been a real nightmare figuring out which missions to touch an which were still up to date.

And a few months later - with release of 2.0 - the same nightmare would have started all over again.

Well then I'll blame you for this :P

Hm I understand that problem - maybe it's better then to get them out of the list and just mirror to our 2.0 missions wiki list or even just mentioning the ingame downloader, what do you think? :mellow:

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

I perfectly agree. I do not see any reason to host TDM missions anywhere else anyway.

TDM has it's own server farm. And maintainting those mirrors should be sufficent.

If the admin of thiefmissions gets back to work (he missed most of the Thief mission in 2013),

I might ask him to drop his mirrors and link to the individual mission-download pages instead.

EDIT: Oh, look at that.

Al_B stated that The Circle is up again. Just a few hours after this thread was opened.

http://www.ttlg.com/...l=1#post2230176

So, no need to mess with the hosts file.

Ah, nice stuff... i recently visited the site when i played through Thief Gold, and was quite disappointed when it was off a couple of days, and i couldn't access the walkthrough (yes, i needed it :P).