The Dark Mod Forums

Windows 10 support thread:

Bikerdude

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Curtisy of Kano's tip - another reason to avoid Windows 10 like the P.O.S. that it is -

- Windows 10 still phones home to M$ despite the end user deselecting all the usual options after install, perma-disabling Cortana & Defender and various registry hacks. And whats worse is experencied network engineers can't fully acertain why some of the traffic being sent back to M$ - link

This goes partway to explaining why when I had outgoing rules enabled on my router that browsing the net via Win10 was so laggy or outright unresponsive - cnut$.

I always figured I would end up migrating to Linux, I just didnt think it would be this soon. And on that subject I wonder if it will be possible to get DX12 working under PlayOnLinux, because if I migrate away from Window$ I would like to do so without having to dual boot.

Curtisy of Kano's tip - another reason to avoid Windows 10 like the P.O.S. that it is -

- Windows 10 still phones home to M$ despite the end user deselecting all the usual options after install, perma-disabling Cortana & Defender and various registry hacks. And whats worse is experencied network engineers can't fully acertain why some of the traffic being sent back to M$ - link

This goes partway to explaining why when I had outgoing rules enabled on my router that browsing the net via Win10 was so laggy or outright unresponsive - cnut$.

Sorry, but that's just utter nonsense. How much bandwidth does "phoning home" (whatever that means, just another of those buzz words by the paranoia and hysteria faction, of course Windows like every other OS phones home, e.g. for Windows update, app updates and other stuff) really take? It will hardly make your browsing or net laggy or outright unresponsive. It doesn't here anyway, so there's something entirely wrong on your side.

You don't believe yourself that "phoning home" would ever take so much bandwidth to get your computer or internet traffic get laggy or unresponsive, do you?

Edited by chakkman

• Sorry, but that's just utter nonsense.

1.How much bandwidth does "phoning home" (2.whatever that means)

It will hardly make your browsing or net laggy or outright unresponsive. It doesn't here anyway, so there's something entirely wrong on your side.

You don't believe yourself that "phoning home" would ever take so much bandwidth to get your computer or internet traffic get laggy or unresponsive, do you?

• What is? the fact that despite having all the privcy settings disabled windows is still phoning home or your getting your posts mixed yup..?

Again I think your getting your posts mixed up, 1. its depends on how much data is being sent/received and howoften (as in how long is a piece of string) and 2. Phoneing home is the slang term used to describe a software installation function which will use an Internet connection, if one is found, to send information back to the developer, usually without the users knowledge.

I don't think you fully understand the situation, the tech, or reads my post/s. 1. I said that Win10 became laggyunresponsive when I enabled outgoing rules on my router (as in only a handfull of outgoing ports were enabled). 2. Untill I read otherwise, as I see it Win10 is trying to access the web and/or phone home over non standard ports. Because I cant see another reason for the aformentioned behavour.

See the above.

So what exactly does Windows 10 phone home then? Do you feel that it's a necessity that the users knows everything the OS does, at all times? Do you believe, when you buy a car, to stress that kind of comparison, that the manufacturer gives you the construction plans, and thoroughly informs you of everything which goes inside the machine? Oh, and most importantly, did you read Microsoft's terms of usage or the "pviracy statement"? http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-privacy-statement

It's simply unbelievable how much crap Microsoft has to take from people on the net who try to force their minority opinion to the majority of users, keep that in mind too. Has more to do with politics than anything else.

Edited by chakkman

Just read the link from ArsTechnica, and as IT engineer yes I need to know WTF my OS is doing and then choose to lock it down or disable it if I so choose too.

And regarding what crap M$ has to take from its customers, they bring it upon themselves. Case in point, windows 10 has a feature/clause where by M$ have given them selves 'carte blanche' to scan your PC for software or hardware it deam's unauthorised - link You wanted to know what 'phoning Home' meant, well this is a perfect 'shit on your cornflakes' example.

But I digress you are taking this thread off-topic, so if you don't have something constructive to add - please take it somewhere else.

Yet more game related issues with Win 10 -

• Cant adjust brightness in-game T3 - link
  • T2 wont launch/run - link

I assume T2 and T3 are Thief games from more than a decade ago ? How can you expect those games to just work on modern hardware and OS without devs updating them ?

Plus, it's most likely related to video drivers, which doesn't have much to do with Win10 per se.

Some Linux apps built with older libs and core won't run on current Linux builds. It's expected. Software needs to be adjusted and recompiled with/under new OS.

I assume T2 and T3 are Thief games from more than a decade ago ? How can you expect those games to just work on modern hardware and OS without devs updating them ?

They work just fine on Win7/8.1, I agree drivers need to be fixed but conversly Win 10 is seriusly flawed and has some serious bugs.

They work just fine on Win7/8.1, I agree driver need to be fixed bu conversly Win 10 is seriusly flawed and has some serious bugs.

Simply because Win7/8 is technically still WinXP. Windows 10 suppose to be redesigned, and when redesign happens, incompatibility happens. Whether it's flawed or not, we'll see next year, when MS fixes it up and updates it.

Since it's the last version of Windows, I am sure they will keep refining it until it's better than Win 7.

• Simply because Win7/8 is technically still WinXP.
  • Windows 10 suppose to be redesigned, and when redesign happens, incompatibility happens. Whether it's flawed or not, we'll see next year, when MS fixes it up and updates it.
  • Since it's the last version of Windows, I am sure they will keep refining it until it's better than Win 7.
  • Thats news to m, but as Win10 is clearly a derivative of 7/8 then your argument is null.
  • Yeah redesigned so as to be extremely buggy, harvest user data without permission (and Im not talking about the obvious privacy settings), and keepign inline inline with win 7/8 - to cowtow to big media.
  • Well its gonna have to be atleast 6mnths to a year and a serious revision of the telemetry settings (or a hack to disable them all) before a lot of folks with half a mind will touch Win 10 again. Yes there have been 10million installs, but I'm betting atleast half or more of that number have just as quickly removed it shortly there after.

At this point in time the ONLY thing Win 10 offers is DX12. Because the interface, the phoning home, the lag, the pointless apps/crap all mean most people will be looking towards linux in the not to distance future.

A few other recommandend settings to protect privacy under Windown 10 can be found here

(Turn off: Cortana, SmartScreen, Apps using camera, most used data, ...)

"To rush is without doubt the most important enemy of joy" ~ Thieves Saying

Thanks for the thread!

I was thinking of taking the free offer, but if the OS is simply not ready I'll pass until the last moments of the offer.

My W8.1 keeps offering me to "get W10 for free," but not "participate in w10 beta test for free." Hah! Typical m$.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Next week I will uninstall Win10 and put up my Win7 again. I hate this. The design is a mash up of WinXP, Vista and Win8. There are no official drivers for my chipset and sound card and even my DVD drive is not recognized by the OS. Another annoying things are the start menu which you won't be able to just type two letters and then press Enter to run the software like it did in Win7. No, you have to do at least 5 mouse clicks to run the software. And the picture viewer is annoying with its grey fat lines at top and bottom, filled with symbols right over the picture.

WTF is this sh*t?

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Hm, but both of my HDDs are working (SATA). Though it says only ATA in the device manager window.

PS: I love your english! :D

EDIT2: Darn, you edited it, shame on you! Should have used a quote right away anyway... :laugh:

Edited by SeriousToni

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager