The Dark Mod Forums

Deus Ex mod - like Dark mod is to Thief?

tefdal

• 3 weeks later...

Just curious if (the beginning of) this project is still happening?

I'm still interested in being a part of it and still intend to focus on getting appropriate materials for mappers to use, just been too crazy-busy with other stuff to prepare anything just yet. I might do a small amount of mapping with it too, if it's still going. I'm interested in doing accurate reconstructions of the original DX starting with UNATCO HQ, but using more modern standards such as chamfering all those terrible infinitely sharp edges everywhere.

Yes, i'm still working on this project. (some hours per week)
But for me, it feels like a one-man-project.
Because people are contributing, but they dont post their working-in-progress regularly in this topic.

Well, you can start to combine assets from scifi D3 mods, such like Blade Yautja and Prometheus d3 (and other mods from bladeghost).
For this experiment you dont have to reconstruct or create a map from scratch (because this takes to much time),
only placing some guards and assets in excisting d3 maps, like skycraper.
(posted some screenshots earlier)

Edited by freyk

Info: My portfolio and darkmod graphical installer
Amnesty for Bikerdude!

Is it possible to import quake 3 maps to tdm?

For example, school http://mxl.cz/q3maps

Yes it is, if you can't import them, speak to Greebo and he might give you a mapdoom.dll that will let you do it. I've imported a few maps into DR from

Quake, Return to Wolfenstein and even Solidier of Fortune. All GTK Radiant maps (vers 1.5).

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

For now I have a couple of materials to offer, to see if they are worthy or not. Both of these I will put on (among other sites) http://www.opengameart.org under CC-BY. (*anyone is welcome to use these for whatever purpose)
fnlltstnwcndrblckwll1_prev.jpg

http://www.violationentertainment.com/temp/fnlltstnwcndrblckwll1.zip

fnlltstnwhxyvrsalfeflr1_prev.jpg

http://www.violationentertainment.com/temp/fnlltstnwhxyvrsalfeflr1.zip

This is based on the cinderblock and hexagonal-tile floor you could find in UNATCO/MJ12-lab/Versalife. Again I'm yet another one working on a large project that is strongly influenced by the original Deus Ex and did actually consider using TDM at one point, but have since decided on a different engine that can handle much higher amounts of detail within large open environments with heavy use of batched LOD from the vertex buffer. That is not a criticism of TDM, it just is of idTech4, so I hope nobody will get twisted up into knots about that, it's just my personal decision. We still use Radiant so this community is very important, but we're using it in a different way. I would offer to do some mapping for this project too, and I might try a small UNATCO map, but to be honest, I think the technology is really outdated and I would rather spend my time on something that won't look like a mobile game. Again, I don't mean to sound offensive, just being objective about it. In my experience, you can't really get modern polycounts without the engine choking itself to death, and it's not far off what a modern smartphone can handle these days, polycount-wise. BFG edition may be different but without 'VBO-LOD' it's still not going to be something for posterity.

I would really like to see this project take off but I doubt it is going to, unless 1) enough quality materials are hoarded for mappers to use, 2) mappers to actually use them to sprout some shots to show around, then(/while) 3) some very talented folks to get quality player models and v-weps cooking, which might be very hard to find. The quality stuff TDM had pretty early on in that regard is why I think we're all here right now, in my opinion. Also, I don't think salvaging (/vulturing) from other mods is the right way to go. Permission to use a material or 2 might be fine, but otherwise the project is at risk of becoming a junkyard. Bladeghost's PK4s have a lot of Doom3 assets in them, FYI.

About more materials - I have a huge amount more, almost 5000 now, all can be used commercially, however I am a bit fuzzy on the license of some of them in regards to open distribution, such as from www.cgtextures.com, which I've used a lot for outsourcing. Also a lot from www.episcura.com which has been offline for a few weeks now and makes me a little worried. They might have been acquired, hopefully not by those sleazy TurboSquid slimeballs. I've tidied up a lot and made custom normalmaps (hand-made high-res heightmaps made with love, so NOT just typical photo-to-normal click-bang trash) and the other maps, but I am unsure about breaching the license agreement if they are to be put in some publicly accessible repository. On one hand it 'feels okay' and others have done it, but on the other hand I did actually _read_ the license agreement. Any advice concerning that, I would appreciate it.

For the time being, if these 2 samples are good enough, I will provide more of what I am certain I can distribute, that I have not outsourced, created personally, or that was marked as public domain. Like I said, these will go on OGA as CC-BY so there will be no issues about anyone using them.

Finally, my submission for possible titles (to vote on?) is "The Deus Mod" :P

• Like 2

Thank you for the Textures.

As a person with limited experience in several branches, in a group with some contributors and with minimal time to enjoy this hobby project,
I have collect already-made things and change/combine for this experiment.
To me its will not be a asset-junkyard,but someone's trash is someone's else carefully picked and combined treasure.
I have chosen for the tdm-engine, not of this graphics but for its funcationality, opensource code, compatible on several os'ses, its community, etc.

For now to speed up this experiment.
i need a mapper who are willing to work on excisting maps and adding TDM (and other d3-mods) assets to it.
This to start small and to give it a future view, for the others who want to help.

My WIP can be downloaded from here.

Edited by freyk
  • Like 1

Amnesty for Bikerdude!

I'm sorry for taking so long to get back to this. My own version of the mod is now available on Gitlab, and contains fully working ports of all important Xonotic characters! For more information see:

My update in the mod's thread

Dark Module repository

Screenshots of the Xonotic characters

6H0KBvb.jpg

PSO4VaT.jpg

giOdinf.jpg

D6UpY7U.jpg

b9yUgEC.jpg

ZShiOmn.jpg

7HEosPK.jpg

eVbFVvi.jpg

8orAai4.jpg

bBKN7iB.jpg

6SXKJKU.jpg

uF39ozs.jpg

• Like 1

Awaiting for Mirceakitsune hud.

Here some screenshots:

Experimenting a bit with materials and transparent borders in gui.

Trying to generate a cool loading image with Mapzen's Tanggram.

running bladeghost's bladerunner map.

post-13309-0-84655300-1495363319_thumb.jpg

post-13309-0-34755900-1495363687_thumb.jpg

post-13309-0-77736100-1495363822_thumb.jpg

Edited by freyk
  • Like 1

Amnesty for Bikerdude!

Nice, nice, so very nice! I'm sorry for getting sidetracked again: Once more I'm working on several game projects alongside TDM... many for Patreon, where I can't do paid stuff for TDM due to its non-commercial license, meaning I have to focus on it when I find free time throughout my other works.

I need to see how these HUD definitions work, then attempt to make my own design. I plan to make mine more inspired by that of latest Prey or DeusEx games.

Reminder: The thing I will need help with soon which I don't know how to do at all, is explanations and examples of how to create new weapons! This not only includes doing the definitions, but also how I must create and export custom hands with custom guns from Blender, as I'll need to make my own md5mesh / md5anim sets for the guns. Further more, I will want to do stuff like upgradable weapons and size-limited customizable inventories... I'm not even sure how much I can push the TDM code to allow this, but I guess I'll have to see when I get there.

I need not mention interactive screens too, where you can access password protected computers and read emails or see streams from cameras. Any examples would be highly welcome.

Scribbled down a login gui. How about these options? (see screenshot)

I can also create a gui for the cams.

I have tried to add new existing weapons.

But didnt succeeded yet, because its difficult for me.

- edit -

Added screenshot.

post-13309-0-91968400-1495394933_thumb.jpg

Edited by freyk

Amnesty for Bikerdude!

For clarity: I don't want computers to use a GUI menu. I want them to work strictly via interactive surfaces, like the ones Doom3 had! I don't remember if that also let you type usernames and passwords on the screen, nor if cameras can work with that system... might be in a bit of trouble if not.

Like those keypadtouchscreens guis in D3, or fullscreen guis in Deus ex 1?

Or use "windowed guis", like the (smaller) inventory grid in TDM (and other small ingame menus i already created).

We have to decide when to use what.

I dont want to read lengthy emails in a touchscreen.

And if i use a cam, I need to see the details of the environment. A fullscreen gui is perfect for this.

But then again I need to see/hear what happens around me, when i use the cam or read email.

A touchscreengui is handy but not precise.

In a windowed gui, you see / hear the enviroment and its more manageable.

(when using the windowed gui, the player can walk/crouch/lookaroundcorners, but cannot look around.)

For door-knobs and other small things, you can use a touchgui.

I have tried to add existing weapons to TDM. But didnt succeeded, because im not a modeler or scripter.

(havent seen new futuristic weapons yet)

(im cureous for your weaponmodels)

Have you tried/seen/heared/played (and merged) the (concept) files I (and other tdmforum_ posters) already made/collected?

Edited by freyk

Amnesty for Bikerdude!

Full-screen GUI is unrealistic, so I'd like to keep it for as little as possible. I do intent to have the player read emails on touchscreen displays in the world, as that's the most immersive option. Perhaps there can be both a touchscreen and a GUI, and the player can decide which to use via a cvar and menu setting?

Also I wasn't aware of the merge requests, Gitlab doesn't seem to notify me by email. I'd rather you asked before making these... which is okay, just that I might have to remix and add them manually instead.

Coloured in the Login window and found a password format for the editdef.

Looking for a nice openlicenced cyberpunk desktop skin for the window and buttons.

(At desktop theme sites like gnomelook, KDE.store and others. If you know some

please post in this topic. )

and if-statement guicode to make it more interactive.

post-13309-0-29037800-1495573671_thumb.jpg

Edited by freyk

Amnesty for Bikerdude!

Though I admire your work and passion, that you obviously dedicated to this, I agree with LDAsh about the sheer amount of work that would need to go into making a proper game TC in any engine. You guys might want to check motostep's work, he was directing a new futuristic game using IDtech4, he used to hang around here. What I would suggest is, rather than a full project, you could try and make a feature rich, condensed and fun mission set in the universe you wanted to create. You could side step the lack of models by focusing on one single enemy in the map, like a kind of boss, and make the rest about exploration, puzzles, etc. You could then focus on interactive mechanics, atuomated defense systems like cameras and laser detectors that dont require an AI and are still a challenge for players. And then you could team up with Mircea and produce a handful of character models, perhaps just one of them fully animated, or using TDM's animations, or some other Doom Mod's, just so you can populate with a key element here and there. Im thinking something like the original Winter Harvest mission, where you were in an abandoned village, there was a magical spider, a forest nearby, with other ruins, a lot of atmosphere, barely any living things. It all comes down to a single confrontation, at the end. The reworked version lost this minimalistic aproach a bit, with more of a sneaking mentality put into it (which for you guys would require more guards, more interaction with the player, more animations). So, maybe you should think of a small shadowrun heist where you go in there and you figure out how to get inside and how to beat the places' defenses, all the while you are showing off the universe and the new mechanics you would be introducing in a possible futuristic deusex inspired TDM mod.

You would need to figure out a way of solving some action-rpg features that are not supported in TDM, like a conversation system. Shadowhide (winter harvest creator) did make a couple of tutorial maps where he put together a triggered scene where you could have different kinds of interaction with npcs, like a single line of speech when you "press" them, or even more sophisticated ones, though it was a long time ago. Would be great to recover and study those setups.

Edited by RPGista

As for your models, Mircea, they are pretty impressive and I would very much like to follow your progress regarding the process of implementing new weapons and HUD animations inside TDM, because thats always been an idea od mine, to play with a few new weapons for our player character. But the modeling alone takes forever for me. WOuld be nice to have someone who can guide you through the process.