The Dark Mod Forums

Arcturus textures

Arcturus

We should not get rid of the old version, just add the new, please. Reason being, the old version is better for things like a pile of rubble or a lumpy, hilly ground, so it serves a different purpose (I've in fact used it for exactly that). The new version is much more regular and structured, as for an almost paved area.

Edit: oops, take that back, wrong texture (I thought this was one of those bumpy muds we have). Hrm. Well, I do still like the old one, too. Maybe keep both for two versions? Up to you.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To be honest the old one looks much lower res and has some weird normal-map issues. I'd rather we make a better, high-res 'bumpy rock' texture if necessary rather than keep both.

Verry nice, but I notice the wood grain is exact the same for both doors - which would look mighty odd if both are used in the same map (or next to each other). Would it be hard to change one to have the wood grain different, or just flip it upside down?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

As much odd as all textures used more than one time in a map.

There is a difference between using the same brick texture for two walls, and having two different doors share the same wood grain.

Mappers can flip or rotate the door if they want to.

They shouldn't need to.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

They're two different colours of the same image; what's the problem? If someone uses the same brick image and makes a dark version and a light version, we don't ask them to change the pattern of the bricks. :huh:

They're two different colours of the same image; what's the problem? If someone uses the same brick image and makes a dark version and a light version, we don't ask them to change the pattern of the bricks. :huh:

In fact, I'd ask them to make a different pattern :) (With bricks, it is actually not that noticable, IMHO).

With the doors the problem is they look like industrial doors, where for each door/woodpiece the pattern is the same, because the pattern is actually fake and printed instead of being real wood.

However, if SVN was reachable, I would just flip/shift/change the pattern on one door.... *curses at dyndns*

Nor I, it's certainly not the first (or second, or hundredth) thing we have which shares art.

Edit: to clarify, we have enough bad material in the repository that we should concentrate efforts on getting rid of or fixing that, more than quibbling over the good stuff. ;)

That said though, perhaps if this is really just a color shift, it could be accomplished via the material entry with RGB, as opposed to adding another diffuse file.

I was messing around with door material file and the effects are quite nice. I could make more color variations:

http://img258.imageshack.us/my.php?image=door1ju2.jpg

However filter does not apply when door are frob highlighted in complete darkness:

http://img258.imageshack.us/my.php?image=door2ay0.jpg

I have no idea how to change the code:

{  blend diffusemap
map textures/darkmod/door/wood/9panels_01_pale_worn
red 0.4
green 0.2
blue 0.2
}
bumpmap textures/darkmod/door/wood/9panels_01_pale_worn_local
{
if ( parm11 > 0 )
blend	   gl_dst_color, gl_one
map		 _white
rgb		 0.40 * parm11
}
{
if ( parm11 > 0 )
blend	   add
map		 textures/darkmod/door/wood/9panels_01_pale_worn
rgb		 0.15 * parm11
}

It's only a model...

However filter does not apply when door are frob highlighted in complete darkness:

You mean, the color filter does not apply for the frob highlight? I think you need to change the frob highlight code to use the same rgb weighting as the diffusemap, like this:

{  blend diffusemap
red 0.4
green 0.2
blue 0.2
}
{
if ( parm11 > 0 )
map		 _white
red		 0.4* parm11	// <<--- separate red, green, blue addition
green	0.2* parm11	 // <<--- separate red, green, blue addition
blue		0.2* parm11	// <<--- separate red, green, blue addition
}
{
if ( parm11 > 0 )
blend	   add
blue		0.2* parm11	 // <<--- separate red, green, blue addition
}

Does this work? I guess the frob highlight will be too strong when using the rgb = weighting, so you might want to tone it down to rgb = just for the highlight code.

You mean, the color filter does not apply for the frob highlight? I think you need to change the frob highlight code to use the same rgb weighting as the diffusemap, like this:

{  blend diffusemap
red 0.4
green 0.2
blue 0.2
}
{
if ( parm11 > 0 )
map		 _white
blue		0.2* parm11	// <<--- separate red, green, blue addition
}
{
if ( parm11 > 0 )
blend	   add
blue		0.2* parm11	 // <<--- separate red, green, blue addition
}

Does this work? I guess the frob highlight will be too strong when using the rgb = <0.4, 0.2, 0.2> weighting, so you might want to tone it down to rgb = <0.2, 0.1, 0.1> just for the highlight code.

In addition, that should be "parm0", "parm1", and "parm2", so you can set the door color in the editor via the _color spawnarg :)

• 2 weeks later...

Cool!

Are there normal maps on there? The lighting direction seems a bit off in places. Other than that it looks great. :)

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

added new wooden panel, panel_floral_arches:

Nice and you used a interesting map to show them off :)

Thanks guys. I used fragments of a photo I made last year: http://img246.imageshack.us/my.php?image=szwedlp5.jpg

Nice and you used a interesting map to show them off :) 

Yep :) I always try new textures on existing maps.

The lighting direction seems a bit off in places.

Well, it's not perfect, but I spent enough time on it already. Sorry :)

edit: Ok, maybe I'll remove some more shadows from the diffusemap.

It's only a model...