The Dark Mod Forums

Arcturus textures

Arcturus

\stone\cobblestones\blocks_mixedsize03_mossy:

stonewa7.th.jpg

stone2ct2.th.jpg

Because original file I worked on was 6000 x 6000 pixels big I thought I could upload to our highres repository bigger images than 1024x1024 - 2048 x 2048 or even 4096 x 4096. Or should I stick to 1024 TGA?

It's only a model...

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ooooh I like that 2stone. Very nice

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|

stonewa7.th.jpg

stone2ct2.th.jpg

Very nice, as usual. :)

Because original file I worked on was 6000 x 6000 pixels big I thought I could upload to our highres repository bigger images than 1024x1024 - 2048 x 2048 or even 4096 x 4096. Or should I stick to 1024 TGA?

The hires repository has actually been made for that purpose. Feel free to push a higher-res version to the darkmod_hires repository, 4096x4096 is fine.

There is also a texture_src repository, in case you want to push the photoshop/gimp source files to our server as backup or for later reference. It's been made for that exact purpose.

stonewa7.th.jpg

stone2ct2.th.jpg

Yeah, please upload the maxium size you have. We can always make it smaller, but not bigger again :)

Also, 1024x1024 should be the min. for textures in our repository that are used on "big" things like walls, doors etc. Running through SL makes it painfully obvious that quite a lot of our textures are low-res, esp. when the items next to them use 512x512 textures that cover a few cm², whereas the walls use 512x512 or 1024x1024 that over a m² or so...

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

• 4 weeks later...
It's autumn [(US) fall] outside and we didn't have such texture yet, so I made this:

leaveskn3.th.jpg

\nature\foliage\leaves_fallen_01

THANK YOU!

I've been wanting something like this for my map!

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I remade shingles_red_plus_strips texture. It was made by Tels. He used a very old version of shingles_red texture which was later updated many times. I used current shingles_red by STiFU. There's a problem with scale though. Here's the old one:

post-2001-128959501987_thumb.jpg

Here's the new one with the same scale:

post-2001-128959509786_thumb.jpg

Tels' version has 4 times more tiles so if we simply swap images, scale in existing maps will be off. Here's how it looks with scale adjusted to match the old texture:

post-2001-128959525809_thumb.jpg

I wouldn't like to increase number of tiles 4 times for obvious reasons: it will de facto decrease quality and it will not match shingles_red texture.

It's only a model...

The new one looks good.

It's either breaking existing maps or adding it as new texture, I suppose. I don't think anybody wants to go through missions and adjust the texture scale, so I'd vote for the latter.

I've been meaning to work out the issue of high res textures and setting scale correctly.

It might be worth trying to replace the old material with that texture and 'scale 0.125' or whatever and then a new material without the scale?

I added some new textures a while back using high res diffuses, but I haven't set a scale on them and I don't know if people will think to resize them first... mmm

I remade shingles_red_plus_strips texture. It was made by Tels. He used a very old version of shingles_red texture which was later updated many times. I used current shingles_red by STiFU. There's a problem with scale though. Here's the old one:

Wow, that's an improvement! (There is a reason I should not bothering with textures :)

I think the scale problem can be simply solved by adding the "scale 0.25, 0.25" keyword to the material shader. It will scale the texture file b 1:4, and thus allexisting maps should still work, since maps use "material shaders", not "texture files".

Only excpetion would be if someone made their own shader, but I don't think anyone did.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

Actually it has to be 2. Numbers below 1 increase texture size.

qer_editorimage textures/darkmod/roof/shingles_red_plus_strips_ed
   {
   blend diffusemap
   map textures/darkmod/roof/shingles_red_plus_strips
   scale 2, 2
   }
   {
   blend bumpmap
   map textures/darkmod/roof/shingles_red_plus_strips_local
   scale 2, 2
   }
   {
   blend specularmap
   map textures/darkmod/roof/shingles_red_plus_strips_s
   scale 2, 2
   }

Unfortunately, it doesn't work with qer_editorimage. So I would have to make 512x512 jpg with same image pasted 4 times.

It's only a model...

Actually it has to be 2. Numbers below 1 increase texture size.

Ah, yes, confused the direction :)

Unfortunately, it doesn't work with qer_editorimage. So I would have to make 512x512 jpg with same image pasted 4 times. 

That's not really a problem. Actually it would be much better to just delete the editor JPG (they don't save that much space anyway, but I digres :)

However, deleting doesn't really work with the current way we update PK4s, so I'd just copy&paste the image 4 times together. The JPG file size will not grow much bigger, anyway.

OK, texture uploaded.

Very cool :) Thank you! Such improvements always pay off when you replay missions :wub:

• 2 years later...

Very cool mista

2048 x 2048 or even 4096 x 4096.

If the original image is of VGC then we could get away with 1024*1024, but personlly the bigger the source image the better than the mapper can reduce to 2048/1024 as required etc.

I remade shingles_red_plus_strips texture.

We need this type of texture for all the other roof tile textures we have.

Very cool mista

Thank you.

If the original image is of VGC then we could get away with 1024*1024, but personlly the bigger the source image the better than the mapper can reduce to 2048/1024 as required etc.

What is VGC? And you know that you replied to a five year old post? ;)

It's only a model...