The Dark Mod Forums

Jerboa's Models

greebo

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The same reason why electric lights in thief seems out of place, look to modern to me too.

Lights in the thief series were not run by electricity. Ever see any electrical lines? They were a cross between steam and magic. If you noticed, the lights in the original games had arcs that sparked on the top...collectors that powered the lights. A refrigerator would be out of place since it's a little more complicated than a light. I doubt there would be any type of chemical coolant. A non-powered ice chest would be acceptable.

@Jerboa: While I appreciate your drive towards low-poly models, if that's meant to be round then 6 sides is probably not enough. :) Even with the addition of a normal map to make the shading look round, there are an awful lot of straight edges which will dispel the illusion.

There were such lines in mansions.

Really? I don't remember seeing any. Could you post a screenshot?

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Really? I don't remember seeing any. Could you post a screenshot?

Yes, you could turn off the security systems in the bank mission, iirc. But it has been a long time, so it might have been a fan mission as well.

Dunno about SVN, its conflicting w/paintshop. I was thinking of using total commander or cuteFTP for uploads. I just need to re-aquaint myself with them.

Sorry to come back to this so late.

I assume you have TortoiseSVN installed on your system? If you have trouble setting it up, let's start another thread in this forum where we work through that process, to keep this thread clear of that.

Yes, you could turn off the security systems in the bank mission, iirc. But it has been a long time, so it might have been a fan mission as well.

Sorry to come back to this so late.

Sure - in Thief 1 there were generators you could turn on and off in the Haunted Cathedral level (which was more the streets leading up to the Cathedral than the Cathedral itself). They controlled the street lights. But I don't remember any wires as such. They had spiky bits on top of them that looked like transmitters of some kind, so I always assumed they were wireless.

I think they were indeed electric, or a close equivalent, though.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

It was only the cameras that had wires. The lights were wireless.

Doesn't matter anyway; in TDM all electricity is wireless.

As far as the wine press, I don't know, it still looks kind of low poly to me too. I suspect you weren't trying to make it look round, but it looks like was intended to be, and is just a low-poly version. Areas like the 'screw' part have to have normal-map support too, you can't just draw dark lines on the diffuse without it looking like it came from T1 or 2.

You can load .lwos, right? My suggestion is to look through our existing models and textures and re-use existing pieces. For example, we have an old barrel model that would be perfect for the case, and lots of mechanical handles and stuff that would probably work for the press. Often they already have good normalmaps too. Saves you some work, and keeps things looking uniform.

Yeha, I agree that it looks too low poly. 6 sides is too T1/2. Unless it's specifically supposed to be hexagonal it should be at least 10 sided, at least. 14 is where the silohettes of stuff really starts to look round imo.

Springs right too. Although it is good to have the screw part darkened in some for ambient occlusion it needs a normal map, that would not only make it cast shadows but give really good highlights as well.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Jerboa, I hope you are not discouraged by our constant critics :)

I like your work, and it is really nice to see some new things come to live :)

As for the winepress, consider making the number of sides of the "round" part equal to the number of boards your texture has. Not only is this more "round" than just 6 sides, it also is more natural, because it mimicks a real life object, which would be a "rounded shape" brought together by X flat wood boards, too.

Your current version has "bends" in some of the boards, which looks completely wrong. Just saying :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

It is looking much improved, but it still has an old generation model feel to it. Maybe integrating some real-world details could help:

http://www.winepress.us/images/press-3.jpg

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_VfGXUUyq_SY/R74_clS3...Zg/DSC_0382.JPG

http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http...l%3Den%26sa%3DG

As a non-artist, that looks really good to me!

My only nitpick would probably be the rusting of parts that actually come near the grapes, or where rust could fall into the grapes. This is fine for an abandoned one, but I would think if someone were still using one to press wine, they would make some effort to prevent it from rusting (oiling, etc), because it's bad for wine business when the wine tastes like rust. :)

Great website dude! those are some seriously nice doors.

Tip on your models: keep the detail level in your textures as consistent as possible. See the metal bars around the bucket? compare that detail level to the wooden stool's - the contrast is strikingly unrealistic.

The upper part (the barrel with the handles) looks really good to me. However the texture on the bottom part (the stool) looks totally crap. Also if you are interested and have time, it would be good to have a broken version as well. One where the barrel might be broken, and the handle maybe bent or broken off, maybe with a leg missing as well.

I think we have way to many rather new looking objects in the repository already.

Gerhard