The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

I have the same 'issue' as above. Once I started placing the location seperators it started doing that. I don't find it very disturbing, so I'll still release my FM when it's done. I have one source for ambient light. You clearly see that the ambient gets a little bit brighter. As far as I can see it only happens in one place in my map and then it stays that little bit brighter.

Interesting bug cropping up: if I open a (prefab) footlocker, it works as intended. If I close it, it works as intended. But once it closes again, it becomes unfrobbable. :wacko: What could be causing this?

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

This is a known bug, that I'm pretty sure has been fixed for the next update. Fidcal can tell you more about what is causing it.

I'm still going through the A-Z tutorial, and I'm getting myself a little confused with adding ammo. What I want to do is to add in some broadheads and some water arrows, so my guy starts with 12 broadheads and 5 water arrows. The problem is that I keep getting just one of each.

I'm getting a bit confused with my "inv_stackable"s, "inv_count"s and my "inv_ammo_amount"s. What properties exactly do I need to enter in to do the above? Or is it just a question of putting a dozen invidual broadheads and 5 water arrows into my 'blue room'?

"We were travelling in the night of first ages, of those ages that are gone, leaving hardly a sign — and no memories" - Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness

Yes, this is on tracker. I've got some in my own FM. There is an easy workaround but it makes the lid highlight separate from the body. That's Plan B if I can't think of a better solution. Truth is I've been putting off experimenting with it but I guess I'd better take another look. It probably needs a code solution or might just be the odd way it is configured. These chests became rather complicated but we thought we had it perfect. The strangest thing is that it does not seem to affect all chests even though configured the same.

Anyway, leave it with me. The quick and dirty solution btw I think is just to remove the frob_peer from the body - but I'd have to check to be sure and I'm at my other PC at the moment. Another way that should work is to remove the target from the lid to the frob zone (the clip brush inside which removes the frobability.) But then there is a slight risk of frobbing loot right out of a locked chest. :(

I'm still going through the A-Z tutorial, and I'm getting myself a little confused with adding ammo. What I want to do is to add in some broadheads and some water arrows, so my guy starts with 12 broadheads and 5 water arrows. The problem is that I keep getting just one of each.

I'm getting a bit confused with my "inv_stackable"s, "inv_count"s and my "inv_ammo_amount"s. What properties exactly do I need to enter in to do the above?

For arrows, use e.g. "inv_ammo_amount" "5"

For objects which aren't arrows, but which are stackable (health potions etc.), use "inv_count" "5" instead.

"inv_stackable" is something you only have to mess with if you're making new object definitions. If you're just placing existing object types in a map, leave it alone.

Or is it just a question of putting a dozen invidual broadheads and 5 water arrows into my 'blue room'?

You could do that, but it's not necessary. Much easier to set inv_ammo_amount (once you know what to do).

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

The easiest way is to insert prefabs\misc\StartTools,Ammo.pfb and then modify/delete what you don't want. (or startpack which includes the above.) This also includes difficulty settings if you want to vary the amount on each difficulty level.

But if you've already started, you need these on each type of arrow:

"inv_ammo_amount" "3"

"inv_map_start" "1"

"inv_no_pickup_message" "1"

The last line is best otherwise you get a message at game start "Acquired 3 arrows"

OK, this is one way to do it (I'm doing it simple so beginners can follow if interested.)

Create your wall and texture it and align the texture and cut out your hole in the usual way. You can save the bits you cut out for the stones or create them separately after. You'll need to align your cuts to any stones or bricks edges or mortar and not cut through the stone which looks unnatural. Check the texture alignment both sides of the wall and in the gap.

Next, use one of the brushes you cut out or create a new brush the size of a stone from the wall (or a clump of brick stuck together with mortar whatever) and place it in the gap. If necessary copy and paste the texture over from the wall or however you do it so it is textured correctly on ALL sides.

Make this stone slightly smaller than the gap, say, a quarter of a unit in height and width (not depth.)

Select the stone and right click in grid view and create entity and give it Moveables/Misc/atdm:moveable_base

Name eg, Block1

mass 66 [adjust after testing if necessary]

snd_bounce ceiling_tiles [probably something better than this but best I could find]

snd_water water_hit_by_small_object

spr_object_hardness hard

spr_object_size large

First place it in front of the wall just clear of the ground and test it in game. If you can heft it around and are happy with it then in the editor place it into the wall where you want it and clone it how many stones you want. You might need to resize some to align the texture in which case selec it then hit TAB then you can resize it. Press TAB again to finish. Never delete the thing while in TAB mode or it may delete the brush but leave the entity origin and then it's messy to get rid off.

If you find it really hard to pull the blocks out of the wall try reducing their size a tiny bit more.

Interesting bug cropping up: if I open a (prefab) footlocker, it works as intended. If I close it, it works as intended. But once it closes again, it becomes unfrobbable. :wacko: What could be causing this?

Sorry, still found no happy solution to this. I've been trying different ideas but all have problems. About the best of a bad bunch is a func static chest body that does not highlight at all, no lock pin at all, no frob control entity, the lid is used on its own and 4 nodraw frobable panels around the chest body to prevent anyone frobbing loot while still closed! Messy and horrible but we may have to do this for now. Let me know when you cannot wait any longer and I'll describe this Plan B in more detail.

they work for me but only after I´v added the >immune_to_target_setfrobable =1< property to it anew?

And allso had to set trigger_no_open = 1

the trigger_no_close = 1 is on the prefab from start.

Edited by Nielsen74

they work for me but only after I´v added the >immune_to_target_setfrobable =1< property to it anew?

And allso had to set trigger_no_open = 1

the trigger_no_close = 1 is on the prefab from start.

Yes, but do they continue to work if you close the chest and try again? The problem is that many players accidentally block the chest from opening with their body. They then frob it again and it closes. They then want to frob it again but it is now not frobable. One thing that might help there is the spawnarg that makes doors continue to open on next frob after a block. At least then most players won't close the chest again but get the loot and run. But it won't fix the error if they should close the chest and it might be mission-critical.

The easiest way is to insert prefabs\misc\StartTools,Ammo.pfb and then modify/delete what you don't want. (or startpack which includes the above.) This also includes difficulty settings if you want to vary the amount on each difficulty level.

But if you've already started, you need these on each type of arrow:

"inv_ammo_amount" "3"

"inv_map_start" "1"

"inv_no_pickup_message" "1"

The last line is best otherwise you get a message at game start "Acquired 3 arrows"

Sorry, it's taken me a few days to get round to testing this out. Worked like a charm! Thanks a lot for your help :)

"We were travelling in the night of first ages, of those ages that are gone, leaving hardly a sign — and no memories" - Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness

Thanks Nielsen74, good find. I think I see the problem now. The little lockpin models were changed at the last minute and they should have immune_to_target_setfrobable 1 on them too. I was too focused on the chest body and lid. I'll do some more testing but I'm fairly certain that is what it is. Then I'll update the prefabs and either upload them somewhere or warn people whichever is easier.

And no, I didn't cheat and look at the rest of the map so I can still play it! ;)

The footlocker fix works, so all is well on that front.

Now, something else - one of my readables displays text when frobbed, but not in the world. The XD file includes the precache command, so it should work. Although it uses a different prefab than the ones that work, I am not seeing a difference. Is there something to look for in the editor OR the XD file?

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Most likely causes in decreasing likeliehood order:

2. You are playing in Fast ambient mode (see menus) which fails to show world text for some reason. Answer: place a tiny dim ambient light over the readable. (It still won't show though if it's moveable and the player drops it in shadow.)
  3. You have made a custom gui and forgotten/don't know about, the world gui. Ask again if this is the case.
  4. Newton was wrong and the lettering has fallen off the world into an alternate universe.

I'll check this at home; 2 and 3 don't seem too likely.