The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

How do you set the health parameters of the player? I tried an experiment by building a small map with a 100foot pit, with water and spiked fencing at the bottom. When the player

falls in, he losses a modest amount of health; and lands on the spike? He should be impaled at worst, and dead at best????

Or can you not? :ph34r:

Quando omni flunkus moritati" ("When all else fails, play dead")

Halloween Contest Winner 2014

You can also fine-tune the player's health and health pool using a script at map start, and possibly by spawnargs on your info_player_start, although I'm not sure about the last one.

Edit: we crossed on both posts :)

Edited by SteveL

Posted Today, 01:01 PM SteveL said:

There are several ways to do this I think. The easiest is probably to put a trigger_hurt at the bottom of the pit and give it spawnarg "damage" "damage_triggerhurt_1000"

Thanks..... :)

Edit: @SteveL It works like a dream. Or should I say nightmare. LOL :laugh:

Edited by buck28
  • Like 1

Can someone answer my question about the mousewheel? Is it possible to disable the mousewheel from doing anything in DarkRadiant? I've looked through the preferences, but there are no options, and keyboard shortcuts are restricted to keyboard only. It would be a huge help, because currently I'm spending about 50% of the time on undoing stupid shit caused by the mousewheel.

You can call me Phi, Numbers, Digits, Ratio, 16, 1618, or whatever really, as long as it's not Phil.

Look in the config file. But if it's really driving you crazy, I'd look into the options for your mouse or an app that disables the wheel at the push of a button while you edit.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Can someone answer my question about the mousewheel? Is it possible to disable the mousewheel from doing anything in DarkRadiant? I've looked through the preferences, but there are no options, and keyboard shortcuts are restricted to keyboard only. It would be a huge help, because currently I'm spending about 50% of the time on undoing stupid shit caused by the mousewheel.

I see how that would be annoying, and while I can't find where that setting is stored, you can turn it down to 1.

post-529-0-40992800-1414069887_thumb.png

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

How do you stop lights from flickering like crazy? I have tried adding the shaderparm4 to it to try and slow it down but it doesn't do anything

The fireplace is a atdm:fireplace_wooden and it generates its own light so what you see here is just the raw settings that I guess the game recommends for it but surely someone else has noticed this problem before hand?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2x7Y4LlYKA

There's definitely something wrong with the blinking light on the bed at the bottom left corner. It looks like the light is z fighting with surfaces.

Does it make a difference if you change your light interaction setting on the video menu? If you have it set to simple, try setting it to enhanced and see if it fixes it.

That light is one of the few ones that uses a moving origin, so that the shadows move. It probably has "scriptobject" "light_moving_ext". Replacing that with "light_ext" might give you a steadier light too but you'd lose the moving shadows.

There's definitely something wrong with the blinking light on the bed at the bottom left corner. It looks like the light is z fighting with surfaces.

Does it make a difference if you change your light interaction setting on the video menu? If you have it set to simple, try setting it to enhanced and see if it fixes it.

That light is one of the few ones that uses a moving origin, so that the shadows move. It probably has "scriptobject" "light_moving_ext". Replacing that with "light_ext" might give you a steadier light too but you'd lose the moving shadows.

My light interaction is currently set to advanced and I changed the scriptobject but the light still acts up. Is there a way to slow down the flickering?

Ok so it's not the problem I thought it was. And the bed flashing could be because the moving origin is exactly at the level of the bed, so the surface alternates between being lit and not.

You'll have to set the shaderparms on the light entity instead of the fireplace itself. So "set shaderparm3 on flame" "1" instead of just "shaderparm3" "1"

It looks like parm3 is the one to use, making it smaller, but the material file is a bit confusing:

lights/fire_fireplace
{
{
	forceHighQuality
	map	lights/biground1
	colored
	zeroClamp
	red	 ((.2 * torchtable [(time * ( 2 + Parm3 ) + ( parm4 / 10 ) )]) +.6) * Parm0
	green   ((.2 * torchtable [(time * ( 2 + Parm3 ) + ( parm4 / 10 ) )]) +.6) * Parm1
	blue	((.2 * torchtable [(time * ( 2 + Parm3 ) + ( parm4 / 10 ) )]) +.6) * Parm2
}
}

You could try setting parm3 to -1 or -1.5 to see if it helps. Or you could just make a new mtr file for your map and do away with the shaderparms, just plugging in a value like [time] or [time / 2].

Edited by SteveL
  • Like 1

I have 2 questions:

1). I'm trying to make a bound lantern entity go out, or at least be dropped when the guard is knocked out. I have it set to drop when ragdoll. Doesn't work. I've tried everything.

2). I have a func_static gramophone. I want it to target a speaker with gramo sound when frobbed. It has the blue arrow to the speaker, but when frobbed nothing happens?

Any way to do these things? :unsure:

I don't know about #1, but for #2, what you can do is:

1) Create a trigger_relay entity.

2) On the func_static gramaphone set up a response (using the stim/response system) for "frob" and have it trigger the trigger_relay on frobbing. Here are specific steps for setting this up if you don't know what I'm talking about:

a) select your func_static

b ) then in the "Entity" dropdown menu in DR, pick "stim/response"

c) click on the "response" tab of the stim/response editor that should pop up

d) hit the "add" button towards the bottom and a little hand icon saying "frob" should appear. This tells DR that whenever you frob this object something will happen. You can use other stims (water, fire, damage, etc...) which makes this a pretty powerful system.

e) on the right of the stim/response editor is a box called "Response Effects'. Just right-click in it and select "add new response effect." This determines what will happen when you frob the func_static

f) double click the new item that appears (it should say "activate response" by default) and a drop down list of all possible effects should pop up. From that list, pick "Trigger". It's at the very, very bottom of the list. If you can't select it, just type "Trigger" or hit the End button and it should scroll down to it.

g) once you pick "Trigger" there should be an option box for Target (put your trigger_relay entity name there) and Activator (not necessary here).

h) that should be it, just hit apply and Okay and you should be all set with a frob response that triggers your relay.

3) have the trigger_relay target your speaker. If you want the sound to play only once you can set the "wait" spawnarg on the trigger_relay to -1, otherwise every time you frob the trigger_relay you'll activate the speaker.

Edited by Moonbo

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

No prob, I updated my initial post with more specific details if that helps :-). For #2, I know there's some kind of spawnarg that unbinds things on death...hopefully someone comes along who remembers it :P.

Edited by Moonbo
  • Like 1

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

Try def_attaching your lantern to "hand_l" or "hand_r" instead of binding it. I think "drop_when_ragdoll" is for def_attached entities.

If you get that working, you can also try the spawnargs "extinguish_on_drop", and optionally "extinguish_on_drop_delay"

I haven't tried these, I just did a quick search in the code as I couldn't find any info googling. I see that grayman added the last two so I expect they work :)

ps. let me know if it works and I'll the info to the Attaching_Props_to_AI article

• Like 1

@SteveL

Ok, thanks to your link above I've solved the problem. By using a prop lantern and using it according to the attaching props article; instead of an entity lantern using bind and bind to joint; it works fine.

I didn't know the attaching props article existed. The lantern now drops on ragdoll; then can be frobbed off or back on again as required by the situation. If some other newbie wants to attach an item to an AI, use the "attaching props article" as directed and it will work fine. If using another entity by bind; it becomes part of that AI and would need to

be surgically removed. Even if that were possible. LOL

I used: def_attach5 (+lantern prop discription)

pos_attach5 handl

drop_when_ragdoll

extinguish_on_drop

The only funny thing is that the lantern doesn't show up in DR. It spawns on game start.

Thank you again. :)

Edited by buck28
  • Like 1

If using another entity by bind; it becomes part of that AI and would need to

be surgically removed.

Haha. Thanks for confirming the fix. I'll pop those notes on the wiki articles.

That's right, def_attached entities don't exist until map start. The "carrier" spawns them in game. I think it was probably designed that way to enable complex multiple-entity objects like torches to be treated as a single entity in DR, so mappers don't have to align the model, light, and flame particles manually. The only prob is when you want to set a spawnarg on the attached entity. It doesn't exist in DR so you have to use a special syntax.

• Like 1

I forgot to mention: What is cool about the prop as opposed to the entity, is that a prop uses it's own animation and is more realistic looking in game! :P

Edited by buck28

Before I add this to the wiki: did "extinguish_on_drop" work when added to the AI? It just occurred to me that you probably have to use that special syntax I mentioned to get that bit working properly, e.g. adding these to the AI:

"name_attach5" "my_lantern"

"set extinguish_on_drop on my_lantern" "1"