The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

I have a Timed Flowing Briefing at the start of my FM and it displays and the music is in game however the music wont play in the background. At first I replaced the standard song that plays in the background which is "tdm_objectives" but the problem is that music is also shared with the main menu so whenever you pause the game you hear odd briefing music.

Now I did some digging and found the mainmenu_custom_defs.gui and I have started playing with that but it just doesn't work.

// Uncomment this to override the default non-video briefing sound
//#undef MM_BRIEFING_SOUND_CMD
#define MM_BRIEFING_SOUND_CMD "music music_briefing;"

My music is called "music_briefing" however when I start up the FM it plays no sound.. the TDM logo comes on and that works fine and then its just silence as images scroll across the screen.

Am I doing something wrong here?

Hey Goldwell,

Given my track record, this may not work :P, but make sure you don't have another mission installed. If you do, it will ignore your un-packed gui files.

• Like 1

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

My music is called "music_briefing" however when I start up the FM it plays no sound.. the TDM logo comes on and that works fine and then its just silence as images scroll across the screen.

Am I doing something wrong here?

I think you need to remove the // before the #undef command, so:

#undef MM_BRIEFING_SOUND_CMD

Removing the // is what the instruction means by "uncomment". MM_BRIEFING_SOUND_CMD must be defined as the standard music elsewhere, before your custom gui script, so you need to undo that definition (undef) before you can define it as something else. // disables a line of code (i.e. turns it into a comment). Not a very helpful instruction to anyone but c++ programmers :-/

• Like 1

I think you need to remove the // before the #undef command, so:

Removing the // is what the instruction means by "uncomment". MM_BRIEFING_SOUND_CMD must be defined as the standard music elsewhere, before your custom gui script, so you need to undo that definition (undef) before you can define it as something else. // disables a line of code (i.e. turns it into a comment). Not a very helpful instruction to anyone but c++ programmers :-/

I tried that earlier but no luck either. I mean it should technically play because I replaced the audio of that ROQ dark mod video at the start and it worked with that producing the sound.

For some reason it just doesn't want to play however what I could do is just do that cmd play line in the normal briefing GUI. I'll give that a try.

Thanks for your help guys!

I tried that earlier but no luck either. I mean it should technically play because I replaced the audio of that ROQ dark mod video at the start and it worked with that producing the sound.

For some reason it just doesn't want to play however what I could do is just do that cmd play line in the normal briefing GUI. I'll give that a try.

Thanks for your help guys!

Sorry, I've never actually tried it so there my advice runs out :-/

Here's a list of published maps you can check if you want to play spot-the-difference to work out what's wrong.

***** E:\darkmod\fms\gatehouse\gatehouse.pk4 -> guis/mainmenu_custom_defs.gui *****

#define MM_BRIEFING_SOUND_CMD "music ghouse_church_loop;"

***** E:\darkmod\fms\nhat2\nhat2.pk4 -> guis/mainmenu_custom_defs.gui *****

#define MM_BRIEFING_SOUND_CMD "music tdm_NHAT_briefing;"

***** E:\darkmod\fms\remembrance\remembrance.pk4 -> guis/mainmenu_custom_defs.gui *****

#define MM_BRIEFING_SOUND_CMD "music my_briefing_music;"

***** E:\darkmod\fms\requiem\requiem.pk4 -> guis/mainmenu_custom_defs.gui *****

#define MM_BRIEFING_SOUND_CMD "music Briefing;"

***** E:\darkmod\fms\thecreeps\thecreeps.pk4 -> guis/mainmenu_custom_defs.gui *****

#define MM_BRIEFING_SOUND_CMD "music briefing_creeps;"

***** E:\darkmod\fms\ws1_north\guis\mainmenu_custom_defs.gui *****

#define MM_BRIEFING_SOUND_CMD "music steele_briefing;"

***** E:\darkmod\fms\ws2_homeagain\ws2_homeagain.pk4 -> guis/mainmenu_custom_defs.gui *****

***** E:\darkmod\fms\ws3_cleighmoor\ws3_cleighmoor.pk4 -> guis/mainmenu_custom_defs.gui *****

Anybody know a reason as to why a model would show up perfectly, material and all, in DR but not the game itself? No missions loaded, dmapped and restarted several times, deleted everything but the map and compiled anew, nothing in-game.

Edited by Airship Ballet

*ninja*

Got it working, just had to trawl through versions of blender and mcampagnini's exporter before I found a combination that works. Blender 2.61 and mpcampagnini's .ase exporter 1.4.1, for future reference.

It worked well enough in DR, as you found too. There must be something about the file format that's causing the game parser to choke. I only had a few mins before work, so stepped through the map load in the debugger and saw that what came out of the ase parser was a model with a material but no surfaces. The renderer then skips it from then on. It could be a line break in the file. The parser skips "rest of line" quite a lot. Sorry this isn't helping much! Maybe importing it and reexporting it would help, or maybe you could recreate it in DR.

Edit: cool! And yes ninja'd indeed :-)

Edited by SteveL
  • Like 1

Is there a standard/recommended way to unbind entities on the death/knockout of an AI they're bound to?

I made a monocle and bound it to an AI, but it looks odd moving with his ragdoll, so I turned it into a moveable. I tried using kill and knockout Responses on the AI to set the monocle's "bind" and "bindToJoint" to "-", but that didn't work. I can use $monocle.unbind() in a script (and presumably run that in a Response), but I was wondering whether there's a built-in or simpler way to unbind; all I've found so far are the unbindOnDeath and unbindOnAlertIndex spawnargs.

Edited by VanishedOne

Some things I'm repeatedly thinking about...

- louder scream when you're dying

There is a spawnarg for that. Take a look in props_items.def and check out things like the lantern or torches that detach on KO.

edit: It's "drop_when_ragdoll" "1"

• Like 1

Cheers; unfortunately, it didn't work with the bound monocle, so I'm guessing it's specific to def_attach. It looks as though my choice is between invoking a script or making the monocle a prop.

Edit: hmm, the description indicates that it should work.

If true, the item will be dropped when the AI it is bound to enters ragdoll state (e.g. either dies or becomes unconscious).

There's also a drop_on_ragdoll:

If attached to an actor, this item will be detached and dropped when the actor goes from conscious to ragdoll (dead or KO'd).

I need to test this more...

Edit2: I may have found the problem: the monocle ended up stuck in the AI's cheek this time, so I suspect his clipmodel may be getting in the way.

Edit3: Hmm, maybe not. Setting "solid" "0" didn't change anything. Neither did moving the monocle away from the AI.

Edited by VanishedOne

You could also try this (I think they have to be paired together)

"script_object" "tdm_suicide"

"remove_delay" "1" //destroy after x seconds

I think I'd rather leave it on the ragdoll (the way hats behave) than have it suddenly vanish. Though I suppose one possibility would be to spawn an unbound monocle in its place.

I got a script working with the trigger stim, but I can't get kill or knockout responses to do anything. (In fact, I experimented with things like setting a knockout response to kill another AI in the map, and nothing happened. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what those stims do.)

Edit: success at last, I think. :D I had to use the objective system to invoke the script.

Edited by VanishedOne

Is there a spawnarg that one can place on a candle to make it so that it never extinguishes (i.e. the player can't extinguish it, and it doesn't extinguish if knocked over)?

But you should walk having internal dignity. Be a wonderful person who can dance pleasantly to the rhythm of the universe.

-Sun Myung Moon

My work blog: gfleisher.blogspot.com

I don't think so. Extinguishing a knocked over candle is handled in the code itself, not via scripting, so you can't adjust that.

What you could do is to apply a fire stim to the candle, which causes the attached flame to get ignited over and over again.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Is there a spawnarg that one can place on a candle to make it so that it never extinguishes (i.e. the player can't extinguish it, and it doesn't extinguish if knocked over)?
I don't think so. Extinguishing a knocked over candle is handled in the code itself, not via scripting, so you can't adjust that. What you could do is to apply a fire stim to the candle, which causes the attached flame to get ignited over and over again.

The knocked-over check can be suppressed with a spawnarg: should_be_vert 0

I'm not sure whether you can block the other methods of turning it off: water arrows, frobbing. Are they all controlled in the script Obs?

Can SEED's random generation be used to make stacks or heaps of objects, i.e. move each object downwards to lie on top of those already generated? The "floor" spawnarg seems to move everything to the bottom of the SEED entity, making models overlap if numerous enough, and "spacing" doesn't change that. http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=SEED_-_Spawnargs#floor mentions something called "seed_stack", but the link is to a nonexistent anchor.

The knocked-over check can be suppressed with a spawnarg: should_be_vert 0

I'm not sure whether you can block the other methods of turning it off: water arrows, frobbing. Are they all controlled in the script Obs?

The reaction to water is a response to the water stim coming from the water arrow. But I think there is a spawnarg "extinguishable".

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

For some reason this texture (bc_hinge02) doesn't display in game but it does in dark radiant and I can't figure out why

2qMLi6b.jpg

I've noticed that with some decals you'll need to lift them slightly above the underlying brush in order to see them. Maybe that's the case here?

It is raised from the wood below it by 0.125 doom units so I will try to raise it even further and see if that helps.

I know with the doors this texture is usually on it will have a nodraw texture underneath it so I will test that too and edit this post if I succeed