The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

Arrows are idProjectiles. They are special entities designed to apply damage, unlike a moveable. The damage is set in the entity definition iirc.

So, it's not possible to extend Moveable class with Projectile?

Maybe not I guess, for it would do damage even when standing still, yeah?

'Stay away! It's The Chair of Judgement!'

Hmmm... Maybe it's possible to track a chair state and extend it with Projectile class when it's held by player? Well, do arrows do something alike? When they are flying, they do damage, when they stop moving and strike a wooden door, they become harmless.

One more question: how to use a Slow Match tool? I placed a candle and a match in a room then tried to loot the match and lit a candle. It doesn't work.

Edited by Scampada

Stop taffering there, criminal taffer!

Maybe it would be nice if I started my own mapping topic and asked such specific questions there? And maybe someone could look at snapshots and say what he thinks is looking wrong. Or my questions are yet way too newbish?

I just started thinking that I'm flooding this one single topic too much. And sometimes I want to ask some design-oriented questions which aren't even newbish, so are off topic.

Edited by Scampada

You can set the origin of the model in the "origin" spawnarg. For the best orientation I usually set one corner of the model to the map centre. Then you can easily see, which values you have to substract in which axis to set the origin right (in your case half the window width along the green axis).

I just started thinking that I'm flooding this one single topic too much. And sometimes I want to ask some design-oriented questions which aren't even newbish, so are off topic.

It's fine. This isn't really a newbie thread. Some very advanced stuff gets asked here. This thread is for any questions that can probably be answered in one or two replies. You should start a new thread if a longer discussion is needed.

I changed the 'origin' value manually and the window just shifted in space. The same effect that would appear when using 'Translate' tool. I did something wrong?

You didn't do it wrong. I'm not sure it's possible. The wiki says not. You can change the origin of a brush door to move it to the corner of the door, and rthen the door will pivot round that corner. But with a model, when you change the origin, you just move the model, as you found. It still pivots round the centre.

You'll find plenty of doors and window models in TDM that do have their origin in the right place.

If you really want to use that specific model, there are workarounds. I'll describe one but with the usual disclaimer: I'm not a mapper and others might know far simpler/better solutions like Obs did with the team change thing above :) My workaround would be to make a brush door out of a nodraw brush, turn it into an atdm:mover_door, position the origin correctly, then place your model window or door and bind it to the invisible door.

Or you could have the window just slide up rather than swing open.

This is right, but there is no up. :(

Look.

https://pp.vk.me/c627723/v627723788/5055/T0jvY-8TWWI.jpg

No way.

You didn't do it wrong. I'm not sure it's possible. The wiki says not. You can change the origin of a brush door to move it to the corner of the door, and rthen the door will pivot round that corner. But with a model, when you change the origin, you just move the model, as you found. It still pivots round the centre.

Well... I might draw my own window with brushes... Boring, but this will do exactly what I expect.

You'll find plenty of doors and window models in TDM that do have their origin in the right place.

Maybe... but they have different shapes.

Btw, this shape is also not that I want. I want reallly transparent window, but this is only half-transparent. So maybe I really gotta draw it myself.

My workaround would be to make a brush door out of a nodraw brush, turn it into an atdm:mover_door, position the origin correctly, then place your model window or door and bind it to the invisible door.

Sounds good. I'll keep this in my mind. Thank you.

Yikes! Looks like when snapping a door to grid I have disadjusted it with its visportal. Hee hee, looks funny. I have half a wall invisible.

Hmmm... The game said that it couldn't load collision model for some blue china dish or something... I tried making it movable...

No it wasn't visportal.

It wasn't improper textures also.

I don't know what is it.

Just a gap in a wall.

Editor: https://pp.vk.me/c627723/v627723788/50aa/WfN1kwEFHHQ.jpg

Game1: https://pp.vk.me/c627723/v627723788/50a2/B_Q8CpiGu7Y.jpg

Game2: https://pp.vk.me/c627723/v627723788/5099/ldRPD3xZZlY.jpg

Game3: https://pp.vk.me/c627723/v627723788/5090/HsSx2-7PkfM.jpg(no problem up there)

Looks like a whole wall section is invisible... but one-way only, and only in the game. There may had been a wrong visportal in a door - I removed it. Corrected all textures around. I can't recall what I had been doing before this bug appeared. Maybe, adjusting the window size, and cutting walls. And snapping things around to grid.

Edited by Scampada

Looks like a clue. I did something to this part of wall (to the right, above the window). Perhaps resized it... Merged it... And then... What could I do?

https://pp.vk.me/c627723/v627723788/50b2/Qo4vFJCKUVg.jpg

https://pp.vk.me/c627723/v627723788/50a2/B_Q8CpiGu7Y.jpg

The wall that is displayed wrong isn't A wall - those are three different walls. All displayed wrong at the same height...

Edited by Scampada

Looks like there is a caulk brush intersecting the wall. Check whether you have any filters enabled in DR causing you not to see it there.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

It's okay. I don't know what it was, but it's okay now. I didn't check whether it was okay just after reboot, today I launched DR and moved the suspicious wall part here and there, returning it to its position after all. There are no glitches anymore.

Edited by Scampada

Can I assign few broken models to one entity? It's a bit difficult to find a proper broken model for a flower pot, so I decided to assign say four generic_shards models to it when broken... If it's possible, sure.

+ Which Wiki article should I inspect to find out how to bind not only two models but two actions? I want a door open swinging and its handle leaning down at the same time.

Sorry to interrupt, I too have a question: I was playing around the .pk4 files in the darkmod directory, unzipping them to elsewhere, and deleting the old .pk4. But when I rename the .zip to .pk4 - I did this with the tdm_gui01.pk4 - the game won't start normally (even though I don't make any changes!), but show a black screen saying

Invalid GUI: guis/mainmenu.gui

Does anyone know where that comes from? What do I have to consider when making changes to the .pk4 files?

Or maybe it is presented but contains errors after editing of some kind?

I put a door with nodraw textures in places where hinges and padlock must be. Do I have to place brushes in these places manually and give them corresponding textures and bind them to the door?

I'll look at the A-Z maybe)

Okay, I've read the Doors page, but I still don't understand. There is a door model which I selected in Entities list. It has two 'hinges' brushes projecting outside from it very little, and a brush in padlock's place also projecting outside. All three have nodraw textures and are not displayed in game. It is not possible to revert this model to worldspawn and set proper textures for these three brushes, and I see no other obvious way to set it. How do I turn these nodraws to metal hinges and padlock?

Edited by Scampada

A tip for rookies like me: always snap all to grid at the very beginning!

I have spent four days to a single apartment in a little house and now I'm snapping - at last - house walls, and it's scares me a bit. Maybe I'll compile this later only to get several ***leaked*** warnings. After it being working well for a whole week...

Edited by Scampada

I can't create a curved patch as it is described in 'Creating a tower'. It becomes triangle instead of a 'nice bevel'.

Hit V to drag vertexes. Select the top most one and drag it to the exact middle of the top most side of your bounding box. NOTE: Be sure to shift click and drag over the vertex to get the two under the top one, otherwise you just get the top. The bottom vertices should be in the middle of the left most side of the square. Drag the middle vertexes into the corner of the bounding box. This should create a nice bevel. You will probably need to invert it so that it is visible from the outside instead of the inside (menu patch>matrix>invert) pieces.

400px-Creating_Tower_step3.jpg

2n5THeWu9Cw.jpg

If the patch is small, the intersections are choosen low by default. You can manually set the intersections in the patch inspector.

EDIT: ninja'd

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

I think that has something to do with its size (and maybe the grid size), but try playing with fixed subdivisions under View -> Patch Inspector.

Aye, I had tried setting the grid to the smallest, but to no avail.

If the patch is small, the intersections are choosen low by default. You can manually set the intersections in the patch inspector.

EDIT: ninja'd

Okay.

I have created an almost-round stick using only brushes and cutting very small pieces off them. Then I converted them all to func_static to make it one piece. Is it less safe for performance than curved patches?

At each elevator stop position on each floor:

• Create a brush platform and texture it with textures/editor/aassolid. This remains worldspawn.
  • Clone those brush platforms, resize slightly smaller and make these func_aas_obstacle entities. Add spawnarg start_on with a value of 0 for where the elevator will start and 1 for the others.
  • Create entities atdm:mover_multistate_position. Add spawnarg position with a unique name for each floor.

One more question. What is this for? In one of the prefab buildings there was a lift, and its structure didn't contain any aassolid brushes. Only obstacles and multistate_positions, and visportals. On the other hand, in the elevator prefab there are aassolids. What are they for?

Edited by Scampada