The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

If I place the archer on 'ground' instead of at the top of the tower, it compiles and works good. If not, it compiles with AAS: no entities warning and crashes.

Bonus: how to troll a guard (having no weapons). Comprehensive guide.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QIiW2yYGd8

Stop taffering there, criminal taffer!

Hi. It's said that ambient lights do not cast shadows and are continuous all over the lengt. It was adviced in A-Z article that one must create only one ambient light to place it anywhere across the map. This is what I've got after placing it something there. How can I avoid this effect and make all sides of outer buildings walls lightened?

lsk-Jbeg_Ns.jpg

16V39MrJcQ8.jpg

Oh. Well. I'll just position it in some else way. But it's interesting for me, can I create a total-lightening light source which would lighten all the map regarding not to position?

Even that way, I have parts of my map totally unlit.

N_xIQcl4qWI.jpg

Edited by Scampada

Is there a way to create a brush from a room? So It would be possible to easily resize it and roomize again. Or a way to easily resize a room.

Not really. It's easy enough to just make a cuboid of any size of course. The easiest way I've found to resize a room -- which will work even if it's no longer a simple cube -- is to go into vertex editing mode, grab all the verts at one end of the room and drag them in 'W' mode.

Hi. It's said that ambient lights do not cast shadows and are continuous all over the lengt. It was adviced in A-Z article that one must create only one ambient light to place it anywhere across the map. This is what I've got after placing it something there. How can I avoid this effect and make all sides of outer buildings walls lightened?

Oh. Well. I'll just position it in some else way. But it's interesting for me, can I create a total-lightening light source which would lighten all the map regarding not to position?

Yes, that's what your ambient_world entity is for.

You can have as many ambient lights as you want, but you should have a single ambient_world (Create entity -> Lights -> Ambient world) which you stretch over the entire map, and it'll colour every surface.

Not really. It's easy enough to just make a cuboid of any size of course. The easiest way I've found to resize a room -- which will work even if it's no longer a simple cube -- is to go into vertex editing mode, grab all the verts at one end of the room and drag them in 'W' mode.

Hmmm. It makes sense, thank you! I'll try it.

Yes, that's what your ambient_world entity is for.

You can have as many ambient lights as you want, but you should have a single ambient_world (Create entity -> Lights -> Ambient world) which you stretch over the entire map, and it'll colour every surface.

But, but-- this IS the ambient_world entity, isn't it?

lXD_QGD3OHs.jpg

I don't think you can do that. What you can do though, is set the spawnarg for dozens of AI in a single go. Just select them all, go to the Entity Inspector (which will be blank when you have multiple entities selected), and type in the "team" "0" spawnarg and hit Enter. It'll be set on all the AI that you have selected.

I don't think you can do that. What you can do though, is set the spawnarg for dozens of AI in a single go. Just select them all, go to the Entity Inspector (which will be blank when you have multiple entities selected), and type in the "team" "0" spawnarg and hit Enter. It'll be set on all the AI that you have selected.

Okay, if it's the only way I can do. Though I want to change it within scripts so I thought it would be better to go 'easier way', not to overload script interpreter with changing team arg for the whole bunch of entities...

If you want to change spawnargs for all entities of a specific class, you should use the difficulty editor.

Regarding the team issue. You don't have to change the team, you can change the team relationships. There is an entity for that purpose. (see wiki)

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

How to safely rotate prefab houses? Those are losing their parts after rotating. Moreover, the parts that are lost are driven wildly in space taking totally abnormal positions (if I press z-axis rotate button, some parts are rotated wrong and in addition to that they vary their height position).

You can't rotate multiple selections -- that's a bug in DR. If your prefab is made of patches and brushes (as I think the house prefabs are) then you can merge them all into one func static before rotating them. That'll keep them together.

It will only highlight if all the elements selected are worldspawn. It doesn't matter whether it was a prefab or not.

If you select one or more brushes and patches you can right-click and "convert to func static". That makes them a game entity that you can move round as a single unit, either in game or in DR. ...

So to make a multi-part lift from different standalone brushes and models that I want to move as a single one, I must select them all and convert to func_static, right?

And to link a model or brush to other without casting to static, I can use a 'bind' property?

There was a 'lift' complex shape and three buttons which were standalone but bound to it. So it all was meant to move at once as far as I understand. The buttons were bound not cast because they are not static shapes but dynamic ones that can be pressed, or something, right?

Best ask that back in the newbie thread. ...

The 'convert to func_static' option isn't available to prefab when selected (it's not highlighted in menu).

And will I be able to split them again later, this way?

You can convert and uncovert any brushes and patches to func_static as you like, but not if you also have selected an entity from the "create entity" list. It also won't work if some of the brushes/patches are func_static (blue) and others are worldspawn (black) although sometimes in this case you can use "reparent primitives" instead.

Well, it is possible to make a physical interaction between two movables: one that you hold and one that is standing still.

The wilder I swing my mouse the stronger is the interaction.

Is such realistic physical reaction possible between say a chair and a guard? I mean, to bash him!! and knock him down!! and stun him!! Yarrr... Sorry, I forgot it's a stealth game Well, I could place a guard on a map and try, but maybe it's not as obvious. Maybe need hard tweaking or scripting. So what?

Sorry for poor Eng, I'm tired and do not want to think clearly B)

Edited by Scampada

That sounds like it should be possible using trigger_hurts or stim/responses. I'm guessing though. I don't really know how to use either, and we have other mechanisms too. How to arrows do damage when they hit a guard?

This makes sense. I do not know exactly how it's all done, just guessing but maybe arrows have some property or, as it is named here, spawnarg like 'damage_hit'. I've even seen something like 'damage_crush', maybe that's it? If it was right it would be difficult though to understand to me how to merge two classes in one, I mean 'moveable' and 'damage' in one entity.

Btw, it's cool when a door opens despite of a chair standing against it, but doesn't open when there are THREE chairs barricaded. Looks quite realistic.

Edited by Scampada

How to arrows do damage when they hit a guard?

Arrows are idProjectiles. They are special entities designed to apply damage, unlike a moveable. The damage is set in the entity definition iirc.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter