The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

I came up with getting your current inventory selection. :mellow:

... Just saying. =)

I should have looked up the command for it to give to you though; Fidcal contributed that, and I understand an idea is pretty useless until you have the actual command in hand.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

As I can setup items with an absence_alert that raises the AIs alert level, can I do this for light switches too?

I've got a switch to switch the light on/off and if I switch it off, the AI turns it back on again but nevertheless how often I do this, the guard is never getting suspicious.

Can I raise his alarm level with the switch?

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Your best bet is to make sure the "shouldBeOn" spawnarg is set to "2". See http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Relighting_Lights#shouldBeOn.

This will raise his level of suspicion, but it's going to take several instances of this before he'll actually begin searching.

If it's a particular guard that needs to get upset, I'm sure there's a solution in scripting, with the light switch triggering the script. I can't think of a particular solution atm, though.

Having the light switch call the script is easy enough.

Look at what Fieldmedic does in his lockpicking script to get a guard upset watching you lockpick and copy that.

I haven't seen a script command to set or ramp up a guard's alert level directly though, putting aside something like spawning a lit-up absence marker literally in front of his eyes & destroying it.

Otherwise what greyman said is the way to go (shouldBeOn / 2).

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I don't think my script is applicable on this problem. In my mission, the AI in question is friends/neutral with the player but when the player is seen highlighting the door AND has lockpick seleced, the relation is set to hostile.

I believe Tonis guard is on hostile from the beginning and he wants to give the guard some kind of memory. ("How many times is this light going to be switched off???! Now I must search for an intruder! ")

Perhaps if one could make a script that counts every time the guards recognizes the shut off light. So on three or four, alert level goes up on max...

Hm I don't have a clue about scripting, so I guess I just throw it away then. It isn't THAT important, so maybe if I'll have time at the end I can try to get into this scripting thing, but it reads difficult :unsure:

I hope I can make a good mission though! ^_^

PS: Maybe the shouldbeon 2 spawnarg should rise the AI's alert level way more higher than it does now. I don't see any difference betweem 1 and 2 now. In both cases the AI mumbles and relights, and even if I change the switch several times there's no change. There could be a spawnarg like the one for the missing items, where you can adjust the alert level rising by yourself. Shouldbeon 2 is pretty pointless atm :mellow:

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

I believe Level-2 bumps up the alertness level but not enough to trigger the next level of suspicion by itself. But if the guard got that bump, then if he heard any footsteps it'd be much faster to trigger him to suspicion. It puts him on edge. I think that was the idea.

You have to remember, in gameplay terms the player is supposed to be rewarded for stealth & punished for run-and-slash. So having guards going to alert for the player doing the "right thing" is a bit of a perverse mechanic, and having it count against the stealth score seems unfair (I got penalized for not being seen, wth??). But having it make the guard go on edge to notice footsteps more easily is a good compromise, since obviously he does notice the lights are out, and making it dark makes stealthing easier, so it's understandable there's a little tip on the scale, but it shouldn't be a strike against the player by itself if he or she is still stealthy. I think that's some of the reasoning why it's like it is, and I think you're okay using that setting. It's the best general mechanic IMO that's been thought out and worth changing only if you have a really good reason (like if the lights are special and the player has advance knowledge that if they go off it'll raise alarm by itself, then it's best to handle that in a special fashion with a script.)

So I'm inside a room, and when I reach the opposite side, a trigger is supposed to put out a candle and an enemy is going to spawn on the next room, and walk to the room Im in. I was trying to test it based on some Doom tutorials, I triggered a light as a simple test and created an AI with the arg "Spawner 1", and then I attached a couple of corner paths to it. But the enemy is already there when the map starts and walks to the corner paths without even triggering it. What am I doing wrong here guys?

post-8474-0-29498000-1326827154_thumb.jpg

I'm not familiar with "Spawner 1". What does that do?

I assume that if the player walks into the lower room before hitting the trigger, that the AI is not supposed to be there.

You could place the AI in a green room and target him to a path_waitfortrigger, which sits in the lower room. Then target that to the first of the existing path_corners.

When the player walks into the trigger, have the trigger call a script function that 1 - changes the AI's origin to his starting point in the room, and 2 - activates the AI.

That will keep him out of the scene until you trigger his entrance. He should appear in the lower room and then begin walking.

Instead of a trigger you could try an on-entry location-script, then have that script spawn the AI in, just to see if the problem is with the trigger being wonky.

An (triggered) 'atdm:teleport' targets the AI in 'blue room' ... AI has 'target' to a 'path_waitfortrigger' entity which is targeting the first path_corner in the 'next' room.

No need for a script. I did this for spiders and wraith in the tomb in Samhain.

I almost forgot... The trigger targets a 'trigger_relay' entity, which in turn targets the 'atdm_teleport'

So... trigger > trigger_relay > atdm_teleport > AI > path_waitfortrigger > path_corner

The AI, trigger_relay, and path_waitfortrigger are all sitting in the blue room... the rest are all in their appropriate places in the map, with the teleport at the location of the first path_corner

Edited by PranQster

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

I'd never heard of spawner either. I looked it up using add property on a city watch and it says you target the entity and it spawns new ones eg, spawner 3 would spawn 3 monsters. Dunno if it was an old doom3 spawnarg not working now in TDM or a new TDM one or what or it it is meant to work on any entity. It would certainly be useful especially if it duplicates all spawnargs (be interesting what it would do with a bind attachment though)

Maybe it does work but the original is not a hidden template but is actually spawned. That kind of makes sense if its an old doom3 thing. You'd normally have a monster set up and want to replace it later if it got killed.

It seems to be an old Doom 3 thing for sure, I saw it explained in a couple of tutorials, but I should have known it sounded too easy:

http://www.doom3world.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=5620

http://www.doom3world.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=11030

Spawner doesn't seem to hide/unhide a monster at all, but I'm not sure about respawning it after death (didnt test it). I tried another arg, Teleport, and it does "work", the AI isnt there before the trigger, but when he shows up, it's invisible (moves and makes sounds, though). I tried exactly how Pranqster suggested yesterday and was able to get the monster teleported, but for some odd reason he seems incapable to move, he sees me and attacks me if I get close, but cant move at all! So i wasnt able to test if the path wait thing will work (tried without any path corners and still he cant move?).

Thanks for all the help guys. What about putting out a candle? Any specific function for that, or maybe teleporting a lit one away and bringing an unlit one in? Sorry, but scripting is out of the question for me...

Pathing can be upset by teleporting. It was the same in Thief. First thing to check is if pathing is created in that area. For instance, an isolated area without AI would have no pathing created so teleporting in an AI he wouldn't be able to move. So check that first and if needed there is a path flood entity to force pathing I forget the exact name of it and how it works. A quick test is just put another human AI neutral in there to force pathfinding.

If it still doesn't work then try starting the AI in the final area then set up a trigger to teleport him away at map start. (I can give you info on that if you don't know how but a quick test would be to do it from a lever.) He can then be teleported back.

[edit- you know of course to either dmap or runAAS map before any path changes will be effective]

Putting out a candle? I've not studied the whole problem but if this is a one-off and you want to trigger the candle to go out then make a candle manually using a flame light entity. If the candle is moveable then bind the flame to the candle. Ditto if the candle is in a holder. Then I think you can just target the flame light to toggle it on and off.

Thats absolutely the problem, since its a small test map the main area is devoided of any other Entity but my player start (the enemy is in a blue room outside), so that has to be the it, thanks a lot! I also think the disassembled candle method should be more than enough (just target a wind sound at the same time and i should have my simple effect). ;)

Edited by RPGista

Sounds good. May I suggest then that you also consider using a trigger facing entity (not sure of exact name but I think its trigger_facing. This is a brush that when the player steps into it nothing happens but if he faces a certain direction it triggers its target. Forget how the direction is set - probably angle spawnarg or similar. See the brush near the St. Lucia that triggers the rats to come out from under the cart. It would not be so effective if you were facing the opposite way - same with your candle I guess.

And here's the entity Fidcal mentioned above that allows pathfinding to work in areas that starting AI can't reach:

AI->AAS_flood->aas32_flood

Just set it on the floor. You only need one to cover all rooms connected to the room where you place it.