The Dark Mod Forums

Sword Drawing Sound

SiyahParsomen

I wonder why darkmod follows this fashion too. I mean you won't hear that kind of sound when you draw a sword if it's not a crap one. At the size of a sword, it'll be heavy to use material except wooden for scabbard in the circumstances of its era. Even it's possible, a thief should not carry that kind of scabbard. Besides, it's too loud but AI don't hear which kills the mood too.

Edited by SiyahParsomen

We only have one sword-drawing sound. If someone wanted to record a quieter one for the player character I wouldn't complain.

I've got a couple of spring-steel swords. Maybe my rapier would sound cool coming out of its leather sheathe.

From my perspective, it's hard to emulate the audio cue: *shinnnng* "Yep. That's definitely a longsword I just drew."

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

Works for me. Audio cues give in game actions more levity. Guards also don't hear the unrealistic loot noises, but they sure feel good to hear for yourself.

If we consider collecting loot, then player should be heavy after a while and slow down. I'm not talking this kind of reality. Weapons are directly releated with your stealth. Remember, weapons affect your lightgem. If you carry a sword it'll effect your visibility. But when it comes to sound it doesn't effect. What's the point on this? Darkmod is a stealth game, sound and light are basics in this matter. Actually another solution has came to my mind. Since most of the people is happy with it, instead changing the sound, sound should alert AI when you draw your sword close to them.

Since most of the people is happy with it, instead changing the sound, sound should alert AI when you draw your sword close to them.

In theory it sounds reasonable, but in practice I don't think it's very good for gameplay to alert an AI when the player equips a weapon or tool. Sometimes, it's ok to let certain things slide for gameplay purposes. There are plenty of ways to punish the player. lol

It's a tough call.

The whole point of the "immersive sim" concept is to provide as much of a tactile (realtime) interaction with human interface operations as is practically possible. Using a speed option on Equip makes it feel like you are really being careful about equipping.

The question is: "Is that feel worth it?"

Many would say that most of the Immersive Sim tactile operations are not worth it but they are missing all those wonderful feelings. They are not one with the player character the way that an aficionado is.

Where do we draw the line?

I can live without this change but I can also imagine the tense fun of SLOWLY drawing a bow to get ready to gas arrow someone.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Right. Got a few recordings done. I had to wait until late evening because my neighbor was mowing his lawn at f***ing 9 P.M.

https://sites.google.../RapierDemo.mp3

The first few are "false" (metal against metal) unsheathes and one re-sheathe . Then I demo what my rapier really sounds like coming out of a leather scabbard.

Edit:

Whoops. Forgot to include the false unsheathe. https://sites.google.com/site/mortemdesino/sheatherapier1.mp3?attredirects=0&d=1

In theory it sounds reasonable, but in practice I don't think it's very good for gameplay to alert an AI when the player equips a weapon or tool. Sometimes, it's ok to let certain things slide for gameplay purposes. There are plenty of ways to punish the player. lol

If the alert only applies for the sword, then I think it's okay. After all, the player can equip his sword way before attacking the AI, or draw it seconds before the attack. Also, aren't there different altert levels? Make it a low alert level, then.

Creep button to SLOWLY equip for a quiet option.

Perfect! Also, this is ideal for me as I almost always move in a crouch.

Got a few recordings done.

Thanks Mortem. I'm quite sure these recordings will find their way in at least one FM... ^^

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

I fail to see how else this change would affect gameplay.

As do I. Feature creep is one thing, but the whole TTLG crowd has what I call "realism creep". It seems 50% of the people there can complain how this breaks my immersion and cite any lame excuse why.

Gameplay should not suffer for the sake of "realism". And TDM is already a high shot more realistic and a lot more challenging than a lot of Thief's strange behaviors. I hate taking pot shots at such a beloved game, but it's true.

Creep button to SLOWLY equip for a quiet option.

I can't see the appeal of having to press another button to draw a weapon.

There are plenty of sounds that the player makes that are understood to be emphasized for effect. Grunting when mantling, the knocking of arrows, the creaking of the bow when firing, lockpicking clicks, gulping potions...making those audible to the AI would be overkill IMO.

As for the recorded sounds, I think they sound a bit too thin and rapier-like for a short sword like the player has. Might make a good dagger sound though.

I haven't listened to the recordings (at work atm), but is there any shinnggggg-sound when one draws this types of swords in real life? I thought there was leather or something to dampen the sound when the weapon is drawn...It feels like a sound one use in movies for the wow-effect, but is equally wrong as in certain FPS-games where the player is constantly cocking the gun when he/she equips it.

If one cocks a gun when there's a round in the barrel, the unused shell falls out and is replaced by a new one. Not so ammo conserving :)

I haven't listened to the recordings (at work atm), but is there any shinnggggg-sound when one draws this types of swords in real life? I thought there was leather or something to dampen the sound when the weapon is drawn...It feels like a sound one use in movies for the wow-effect, but is equally wrong as in certain FPS-games where the player is constantly cocking the gun when he/she equips it.

Correct. All my scabbards are genuine leather. (Except for one dagger, which has a cardboard lining.) None of my swords "ring" coming in or out of the scabbard unless it contacts metal. They make little more than a *shhhffft*.

It's not "wrong" at all unless you critically hyper-analyze. It's an audio cue that you've drawn a certain weapon, and it accompanies the visual cue that your drawn a certain weapon. It speeds up the brain's cognizance and makes gameplay more fair and faster. "I have readied this kind of weapon BECAUSE OF a distinct model and GUI change AND ALSO BECAUSE OF a distinct accompanying sound that I recognize." Gameplay shaking hands with psychology.

As for the recorded sounds, I think they sound a bit too thin and rapier-like for a short sword like the player has. Might make a good dagger sound though.

I have a one-handed bastard sword that rings a bit lower. I'll have to experiment around the house to see what makes a more pleasant sound. The only way I got the rapier to ring was by taping a large coin to the end of the scabbard.

There are plenty of sounds that the player makes that are understood to be emphasized for effect. Grunting when mantling, the knocking of arrows, the creaking of the bow when firing, lockpicking clicks, gulping potions...making those audible to the AI would be overkill IMO.

yes it'll be pain when all of them become audible. However, I didn't mention such a thing. There are exceptions in other fields. Such as while holding a sword/bow effects your lightgem, but holding an object doesn't. So, it could be implemented in similar way. Anyway, I just want to mentioned I got bored of this holywood fashion that's all. :)

Edited by SiyahParsomen

Would you prefer I record a different sound? The existing sound doesn't bother me at all, so re-recording would neither please nor displease me.

I'm baffled that you feel very strongly about it. This would break the conventions already set up in TDM. TDS irritated me that I couldn't lockpick and open a chest without alerting AI (Because it was sooooooo realistic that way). Why emulate that problem here? I can imagine angry mobs on the forums now:

I drew my sword to backstab this werebeast, but then it heard me draw my sword, and then it killed me. I think I hate this game. Go die in a fire. ANGRY FACE.

I think it would be silly if the sword drawing sound would alert AI's.

I think people may think the sword drawing should be heard by AI mainly because the sword pull sound effect is really loud. Maybe there would be an own sound for the player, a more silent one. But it is not that important.

What I see more important is actually the sword fighting sounds. If someone improved those, that would be awesome.

I think, at present, we have something like two sound effects for block. "Tingg" and "Tongg." They get tiresome after few 'rounds' of swordplay. Since the block maneuver is quite often used in a combat situation maybe there could be more variety. Maybe a few "Ka-Chingggs" and "Clinkg-sliiiiiide."

Check this and try to ignore the background noise and listen to the metal sounds.

Anyways, the current situation isn't that critical. But if someone is interested in recording new sounds, nice.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

What I see more important is actually the sword fighting sounds. If someone improved those, that would be awesome.

I think, at present, we have something like two sound effects for block. "Tingg" and "Tongg." They get tiresome after few 'rounds' of swordplay. Since the block maneuver is quite often used in a combat situation maybe there could be more variety. Maybe a few "Ka-Chingggs" and "Clinkg-sliiiiiide."

That I can get excited about! :)

Yes, the metal impact sounds are horrible. We just haven't had access to anything better.