The Dark Mod Forums

Sir Taffsalot's mapping thread

Sir Taffsalot

Sotha made one in one of his FM's, Knighton's Manor I think. Not sure if it's the kind you're looking for though

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

I've just inserted an ATDM:alarm_sound. It's default shader is a thunderstorm believe it or not. To change it I have to go into the sound options where there is no alarm to choose from. This is ridiculous.

Edit: just deleted the shader. Problem solved.

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

Sotha made one in one of his FM's, Knighton's Manor I think. Not sure if it's the kind you're looking for though

The alarm system in KM was done before this alarm entity was implemented. The KM alarm system was faked: alarm sounds, sleeping AIs were manually given new targets. The guards nearby did not react to the sound.

Anyway, ST, if you want the alarm sound that plays in KM feel free to grab it from the .pk4. Standard TDM assets do not include alarm soundinh sound effects.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Almost got this thing working. Thing is when I grab the loot painting it respawns the frame without the painting in a different location in the map!

post-3947-0-41995600-1335083599_thumb.jpg

post-3947-0-07619900-1335083618_thumb.jpg

In the first pic it is in the cage. Once it is grabbed the frame teleport to somewhere else in the room.

I think this issue is because I have binded the painting to the cage as the cage moves up and down. Anyone know how to fix this?

The Joker

Can't you have a func_static empty frame, that is not visible. When the real painting is stolen, the empty frame func_static is triggered so it shoud just come visible. You need to have the empty frame bound to the cage.

Clipper

How do I make it not visable?

It seems to have spawnarg named 'hide'. Try setting that to 1. Then, I am under impression that targeting it will make it visible. I've not used that myself, though, but I believe it should work.

For the future, you can check available spawnargs for a given entity by looking at the inherited spawnargs. There is a button in the entity inspector. Also you get to see more spawnargs by looking at the spawnarg list. Right click the entity inspector and say add spawnarg. You get a list you can browse.

Here is also a link to list of entities D3 has. http://www.modwiki.n...ng_%28Doom_3%29

Clipper

Thanks for all your help Sotha. It seems to be working quite smoothly now. I have two levers that move the cage up and down. One of them sets the alarm off. When the lights are off it is switched with the one that doesn't turn the alarm off. There's also a delayed trigger for the alarm to go off once the cage door is open as once the lights are back on people will eventually see that the painting is missing.

The Joker

• 1 month later...

You should be able to place a key in your map and change the model to achieve that.

Thanks for that rich.

On another topic. My map is quite big so to save time on dmapping I've been working on it in two halfs with the intention to combine them at the end. Something has just occured to me though. If there's two things the same in both maps eg atdm:mover_door_1, will Dark Mod rename it or will I have to manually go through everything and rename them myself so they don't clash? Also if DM does change the names of stuff will it take into account things that are binded? eg if a door handle is binded to atdm:mover_door_1 and it gets changed to atdm:mover_door_20 will that door handle then be binded to the renamed door?

I hope that makes sense.

I suppose if it's too much I could always split it into two parts and release it as a two part campaign. Ironically enough this map is already supposed to be part of a two part campaign

The Joker

It does rename all the inserted objects /brushes automaticly and cleverly so that every link stays how it should be. I don't know how this is afforded, but I almost dropped my jaw when I saw this. Amazing function!

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

I recall that there is some discrepency between what blood decals mappers are supposed to use. There are some vanilla Doom 3 blood textures, and there are copies in the TDM textures folder. One set shows up, and the other doesn't?

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

Apparently none of them show up.

post-3947-0-81118800-1339021516_thumb.jpg

post-3947-0-23574100-1339021540_thumb.jpg

I swear I've seen blood decals in fms before. Even though I can't recall a specific FM I'm pretty sure that after 50 FMs that blood decals have been used more than once. So why are none of them showing up when I load my map? Just to make sure I wasn't going crazy I put some web decals in my map because I remember using them in my first one. They appear fine. Am I just been retarded or what?

The Joker

The Doom 3 stuff works but its all animated. Eg dripping blood. I just want ordinary blood decals where it looks like people have had a good kicking courtesy of the city watch.

The Joker

Some blood decals are set to disappear after a certain amount of time. I forget which ones.

Spoiler for glenham

The blood decals in the TDM decals list had a comment that do not use them. I had to use blood decals from the D3 assets when I did Glenham.

You could check the .map and see what were the names of the blood decals I used in the tower. They should work, but I know they'll be a chore when/if TDM hits standalone.

Also check that your decals are not buried in the wall, but just floating in front of the wall. Use the lowest unit size possible to pull the decals out of the wall.

Clipper

I have no taffing idea why my blood decals don't show up. If I copy them from Glenham Manor into my map they show up fine. I'll try working with that.

Thanks for all your advice guys.

btw if we have to use D3 blood decals then why on earth is there a whole list of them in the Dark Mod Decal folder?

The Joker

My guess is that those in the TDM decals are used for disappearing blood stains that are spawned ingame. Not sure though. The TDM/decals bloodstains clearly say in the comments that do not use them and use the D3 blood instead.

This may be bad when/if the mod goes standalone.

Clipper

Ah OK. That makes sense then. Yes it will be bad for when this goes standalone. I'm a bit surprisded that there isn't ordinary blood decals we can use in TDM though. it's a grim medival underworld of thieves and thugs. It's V likely that there will be blood spilled in those dark uninviting alleys?!?!

The Joker