91 replies to this topic

#1 STiFU

STiFU

Uber member

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3140 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 09:36 AM

In less than a month the new game featuring Styx is supposed to be released. Somebody already mentioned the game somewhere here, but as it looks damn promising, I think it deserves its own thread. Here is a trailer.

And here is some gameplay footage.

It's on preorder sale with 20% discount on Steam right now.

#2 Goldwell

Goldwell

Team Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2389 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 10:28 AM

I certainly love the level design and concept of this game, not a fan of the music though..
Hopefully when it comes out it wont be disappointing.

Edited by Goldwell, 12 September 2014 - 10:30 AM.

The Accountant Trilogy
Part 1: Thieves and Heirs | Part 2: New In town

Shadows of Northdale Trilogy

ACT I

Stand Alone Missions
Lord Edgar's Bathhouse | Spring Cleaning

#3 buck28

buck28

• PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 10:54 AM

Did it say Playstation and Xbox only? Not for PC? Too bad; I would buy it if they had a platform for PC. :angry:
I'll check my Steam account when I get home, just to be sure.
Quando omni flunkus moritati" ("When all else fails, play dead")
Halloween Contest Winner 2014

#4 Goldwell

Goldwell

Team Member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2389 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 11:10 AM

Did it say Playstation and Xbox only? Not for PC? Too bad; I would buy it if they had a platform for PC. :angry:
I'll check my Steam account when I get home, just to be sure.

It's coming out on PS4, X-Box One and PC

https://en.wikipedia...ster_of_Shadows

The Accountant Trilogy
Part 1: Thieves and Heirs | Part 2: New In town

Shadows of Northdale Trilogy

ACT I

Stand Alone Missions
Lord Edgar's Bathhouse | Spring Cleaning

#5 buck28

buck28

• PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 11:20 AM

Goldwell, on 12 September 2014 - 11:10 AM, said: It's coming out on PS4, X-Box One and PC

Sa weet. I'm in. I will be getting this for sure.Can't wait to see how much trouble I can get that little critter into. LOL :laugh:
Quando omni flunkus moritati" ("When all else fails, play dead")
Halloween Contest Winner 2014

#6 SteveL

SteveL

Hero Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3669 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 11:46 AM

Cool! Daytime shadow stealth with plenty of varied puzzles, and it looks really cute.

#7 Airship Ballet

Airship Ballet

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1490 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 12:11 PM

Man, pausing the video now and then produces stills that look so striking they could pass for pre-rendered scenes from older games.

#8 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19851 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 12:28 PM

I like the look of it also, but when playing games like this I always think - hmm how could I build this in TDM....

First thing I thought is our torches could do with some random flying embers!, and our torch effects are far better than in that E3 vid. the comentator is very good though, I wonder if he would do a lets pay review of our mod for us..?

#9 lowenz

lowenz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1760 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 12:50 PM

"Of orcs and men" was a good (turn based) game!
  • STiFU likes this

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

#10 161803398874989

• PipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 01:20 PM

Dang this looks like a really good game!
You can call me Phi, Numbers, Digits, Ratio, 16, 1618, or whatever really, as long as it's not Phil.

#11 STiFU

STiFU

Uber member

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3140 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 03:45 PM

Just preordered it. Read a view previews and they all sounded pretty good. Also, I liked "Of Orcs and Men" too, due to their excellent characters and dark atmosphere, so I bet I will enjoy this one just as much.

#12 HMart

HMart

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 07:33 PM

I don't know but to me the gameplay seemed way to easy and the AI way to dumb, even compared to the old thief games, oh well it seems TDM has spoiled me.

#13 STiFU

STiFU

Uber member

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3140 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 12:56 PM

You can always impose challenges on yourself if a game is too easy. Things like not using this and that skill, or stuff like that.

#14 Lux

Lux

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1575 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 06:53 AM

I don't know but to me the gameplay seemed way to easy and the AI way to dumb, even compared to the old thief games, oh well it seems TDM has spoiled me.

likely too that reviewers aren't playing on Expert difficulty so they don't look daft on video ;)

#15 Sotha

Sotha

Vertical Contest Winner

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5609 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 12:10 AM

Looks like assassins creed, with an emphasis on stealth. The AI appeared to be rather blind. I would like to see what the detected/combat -gameplay is like. That would indicate how bad AC clone that really is.
Clipper
-The mapper's best friend.

#16 161803398874989

• PipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 08:42 AM

Honestly, I think this doesn't look like AC in the slightest.
You can call me Phi, Numbers, Digits, Ratio, 16, 1618, or whatever really, as long as it's not Phil.

#17 Sotha

Sotha

Vertical Contest Winner

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5609 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 12:41 PM

Honestly, I think this doesn't look like AC in the slightest.

3rd person, run around, get behind enemies stab them, hang on ledges, climb walls, pull people down to their death, hide in objects, vast open areas, collect stuff hidden in the map, use a magic view system to survey areas, use tools like smoke bombs... Even the graphical style is similar, although this is more fantasy-like with airships. To my eyes, they cloned the AC concept, and added the minion creature that adds variety which weapons and tools do in AC. In this video they use stealth only, I wonder if the combat game is even more similar to AC. If this game truly requires and rewards stealth-only gameplay (which I doubt, but could be mistaken), then I agree that it is not a direct AC clone. I hope I am mistaken.
Clipper
-The mapper's best friend.

#18 SteveL

SteveL

Hero Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3669 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 01:18 PM

I was a huge fan of AC2. They really put a lot of quality effort into capturing Florence and Venice, and Ezio was very engaging. It's a pity the series got poorer with each sequel. It was never a stealth game, because you were invincible in combat, but never mind. The gameplay trailer for Styx didn't remind me of AC, but even if you're right I wouldn't mind them recapturing the good parts of AC.

It does look like it might support the "press 'A' to win" style of gameplaying but it looks really well done and I'm hoping it'll support some sophisticated stealth gameplay too.

#19 161803398874989

• PipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 02:21 PM

Sotha, the feel and goals of Assassin's Creed are completely different. In AC you're in a big city with a lot of people who are neutral towards you, and guards who are only sometimes hostile towards you, rather than no neutral factions and always hostile guards. The focus in AC is on killing and freerunning rather than sneaking. Styx certainly shares some features, but generally it's not like Assassin's Creed at all.

#20 STiFU

STiFU

Uber member

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3140 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 04:51 PM

Of course the atmosphere is different here, but it boils down to a lot of similar gameplay mechanics with some additions. That's what he was saying.

I was a huge fan of AC2. They really put a lot of quality effort into capturing Florence and Venice, and Ezio was very engaging. It's a pity the series got poorer with each sequel. It was never a stealth game, because you were invincible in combat, but never mind. The gameplay trailer for Styx didn't remind me of AC, but even if you're right I wouldn't mind them recapturing the good parts of AC.

It does look like it might support the "press 'A' to win" style of gameplaying but it looks really well done and I'm hoping it'll support some sophisticated stealth gameplay too.

You're right, AC2 was VERY strong, but I liked the whole Ezio Story and I also really liked playing as a native american and as a pirate, especially because these last two parts actually featured stealth via hiding in bushes.

#21 STiFU

STiFU

Uber member

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3140 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 11:33 AM

Quote from the official Styx dev blog:

If you think that Styx: Master of Shadows will be like a walk in park, you’re wrong! Guillaume, project Manager at Cyanide, explains why, without a little patience and a lot of skill, you'll be in for a tough ride.

Let's see how that turns out... :)

#22 161803398874989

• PipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 12:56 PM

Why didn't you link the actual article?

#23 STiFU

STiFU

Uber member

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3140 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 03:53 PM

I just quoted their facebook post. Apparently, that quote is nowhere to be found on the devblog, but here is the link to the devblog anyway.
  • 161803398874989 likes this

#24 NIB

NIB

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 12:51 PM

Launch Trailer:

https://www.youtube....acPaPfCbXs#t=53

Nice homage to Stephen Russell / Garrett :)

#25 STiFU

STiFU

Uber member

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3140 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 08:09 AM

I guess Valve and/or Cyanide Studio should look up the definition of prepurchase... :D
Attached File  styx.PNG   126.37KB   3 downloads

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: stealth, fantasy, open spaces

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users