The Dark Mod Forums

Beta Testing 2.06

grayman

Double post from the internal thread

I want to revisit 4684.

I can see sword distortion when warp is in background with heatHaze.vfp.

But I can't see the original problem with heatHazeWithDepth.vfp anymore (on a new laptop).

Can anyone check and confirm that heatHazeWithDepth.vfp still still produces glitches with FBO?

I was testing for issue 4685 using heatHazeWithDepth two days ago with the latest public package, so yes, I can confirm it is still glitchy. A surefire way to make sure the glitch is visible is to increase the distortion. Rather than attaching a testmap for 4684, you can just test on the foglights_warp.map for 4685 (what I just tested on right now), but change the clear_warp material definition from the default to this:

textures/darkmod/glass/clear_warp
{

// Written by Tels, mainly based on 
	// http://www.iddevnet.com/doom3/materials.php

noSelfShadow
	noshadows
	twoSided
	translucent
	forceoverlays
	sort decal
	glass
	qer_editorimage	textures/darkmod/glass/clear_warp_ed

description "A reflecting, translucent material suited for large, flat glass panes"

// this block makes the glass distort what you see through it
        // one unwanted side-effect is that this effect does not stack
	// and distorbs objects in front of the glass, too
        {
                vertexProgram heatHazeWithDepth.vfp
                vertexParm  0  0 , 0  // texture scrolling
                vertexParm  1  58  // magnitude of the distortion

fragmentProgram heatHazeWithDepth.vfp
                fragmentMap 0  _currentRender
                fragmentMap 1  textures/sfx/vp1 // the normal map for distortion
                fragmentMap 2 _currentDepth
        }

// this stage sets up the alpha mask (it doesnt render anything)
	// we use another glass texture for the alpha map, so that the reflection
	// shows more clearly and different from what the alpha map of our glass
	// says, that makes it more interesting 
	{
		maskcolor				
		map makealpha(textures/glass/glass1)
	}
	// now use the alpha mask to add some fake reflections
	{
		blend gl_dst_alpha, gl_one
		maskalpha
		cubeMap env/gen2
		// tone down the reflection a bit
		red     Parm0 * .2
		green   Parm1 * .2
		blue    Parm2 * .2
		texgen  reflect
	}
	// add our texture on top
	{
		blend   gl_dst_color, gl_one
		map	textures/darkmod/glass/crystal_milky
		red     Parm0 * 0.2
		green   Parm1 * 0.2
		blue    Parm2 * 0.2
	}

// This is the code required for frob highlighting this texture
	{
		if ( parm11 > 0 )
			blend       gl_dst_color, gl_one
			map         _white
			rgb         0.40 * parm11
   	}
	{
		if ( parm11 > 0 )
			blend       add
			map         textures/darkmod/glass/crystal_milky
			rgb         0.15 * parm11
	}

}

Then toggle r_useFBO.

My FMs: The King of Diamonds (2016) | Visit my Mapbook thread sometimes! | Read my tutorial on Image-Based Lighting Workflows for TDM!

The next package build is ready for testing.

7332 - 4679: Print warning if SVN version cannot be detected (stgatilov)

7335 - Fix 32-bit Linux build: loosened precision in event system self-check (stgatilov)

7336 - Event self-check system now prints which exact check failed (stgatilov)

7338 – Fix for 4685 (duzenko)

n/a – 4659: r_showportals working again (duzenko)

15105 - Add missing textures for new models (Springheel)

15111 - Correct some missing textures on Dragofer's lights (and includes lit skins, since they were unlit by default) (Springheel)

15112 - Add GLSL versions to all shaders. (stgatilov)

15113 - Set GLSL version to 1.30 in all shaders. (stgatilov)

15114 – Fix broken “Times seen” stat for Mission Stats screen (grayman)

re 4685: warp materials do not disappear now, but they render in front of "afterfog" materials:

5H9vC8x.jpg

A bug of a lesser degree but a bug nonetheless.

edit: I don't know what it is in this update, but Multicore Enhancement doesn't cause stuttering on my system (and crashing) anymore! About five FPS increase in heavy scenes, so yay for that.

Edited by Spooks
  • Like 1

My FMs: The King of Diamonds (2016) | Visit my Mapbook thread sometimes! | Read my tutorial on Image-Based Lighting Workflows for TDM!

Sky is broken on the latest beta, when "r_useFBO 1" is set:

It seems that something it not properly cleared between frames.

Moreover, having bloom enabled iteratively increases sky brightness until completely white color.

What is your r_clear cvar?

Please attach your config. It works for me.

post-3508-0-77711800-1512901728_thumb.jpg

The config file.

Also, I have noticed some weirdness with lighting.

This is with r_useGLSL = 0 (table is not lit):

2pozcea.jpg

And this is with r_useGLSL = 1 and enhanced interaction:

2e4dzwy.jpg

If I switch to "default interaction shader" in menu, than the whole table is lit properly.

EDIT: I can reproduce these issues with the table on SVN version (but not the sky issue).

It is Inn Business, second floor, third door from the main enterance.

The config file.

Also, I have noticed some weirdness with lighting.

This is with r_useGLSL = 0 (table is not lit):

spoiler]

And this is with r_useGLSL = 1 and enhanced interaction:

spoiler]

If I switch to "default interaction shader" in menu, than the whole table is lit properly.

EDIT: I can reproduce these issues with the table on SVN version (but not the sky issue).

It is Inn Business, second floor, third door from the main enterance.

Does it light the table when you pick the candle and lift it up a bit?

Strangely it also changes FOV when pick it.

Could be the light source origin put in the incorrect position relative to candle?

Nope, the chest is lit properly.

It could be something with normals, but debugging the ARB shaders is such a pain in the back.

Might as well leave it be since GLSL is the default now.

I think it might be how the ARB shader interpolates normals on low poly models like table top. I think it might interpolate the normals to zero in the middle...

Move the candle left and right and see how the light comes and goes.

Does it light the table when you pick the candle and lift it up a bit?

Lifting a tiny bit does not help.

It could be something with normals, but debugging the ARB shaders is such a pain in the back.

Might as well leave it be since GLSL is the default now.

I'm mainly concerned about the issue when r_useGLSL = 1.

The case with ARB shaders is not so important, really.

That would be issue 4684, on the latest package it is still the same, since by the looks of the patch notes no changes were committed to that one.

BTW, @stgatilov, I've seen the sky glitch as far as the first version of the beta when noclipping and looking at the void. It only happens at random locations/angles though, so it wasn't replicable enough to report. FBO being on is definitely the cause, but I can't fathom what's causing it. I saw the same behaviour when testing the color grading shader posted on the forums a couple of months ago, but I assume you're not using that.

What do you have in r_fbosharedcolor ?

It's set to 0, if I set it to 1 the warp material and the particle get sorted properly but this glitch happens:

GXNJfJt.jpg

It occurs both with heatHaze and heatHazeWithDepth so it's different than the one discussed in 4684.

Guys, how does the reloadimages command work for you? Yesterday it made the soft shadows disappear, now I got the whole screen go black. x64 on Intel CPU, nvidia GPU, seta r_fboResolution "1",
seta r_fboSharedDepth "0", seta r_fboSharedColor "0", seta r_useGLSL "1" seta r_useFBO "1".

Also, while it's not super important, but r_showShadows 1 and 2 don't work either, making soft shadows disappear as well.

2.06 Security Camera

2.06 will have an updated Security Camera entity. I've been working on a Wiki for this, and it's time for someone other than me to look at it.

I've mostly got the Wiki finished, but I thought it would be best that while I finish it, folks could give feedback on what I've done so far.

The update started with some work that Obsttorte did, and progressed with lots of help from duzenko on the display screens when reflective materials and sky are present. The work is already included in 2.06, but I will prolly have to tweak it a bit more before finishing it.

The Wiki page hasn't been published yet, but you can find a draft version here.

The Wiki page links to a test map.

We are not restricted to my rather innocent model of a camera. A modeler could add a camera with a design that better fits a particular map. New camera models could be added to 2.06 (if they're ready and tested in time), or at any time in the future. Only two spawnargs on the camera entity need to be changed to fit the physicality of a new model.

If you have a bit of time, feel free to try the test map and leave comments.

Thanks.

• Like 3

I recommend storing the test map on the wiki server. Linking resources from external services (and maybe even depending on accounts of single users) led to a lot of link rot in the past.

Anyone know how to do that?

I only see the ability to store media files, not pk4 files.