The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: The King of Diamonds by Spooks (2016/05/13)

Spooks

37 members have voted

1. 1. Gameplay

2. 2. Appearance

3. 3. Narrative & Text

Congratulations on the release! Nice that you released it going into the weekend too.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Congrats on the release!

Edited by Goldwell

I just been playing for around two hours and right off the bat I can say this is one of the best ones in terms or Architecture, Art Direction and Lighting. Specially lighting. Perhaps the best one in terms of lighting. You really know how highlight areas and create points of interest with light. My only complaint is the auto closing doors. To keep the game running smoothly? IKD. I'll add a small review when I'm done. :) Kudos!

Edited by Taquito

• Specially lighting. Perhaps the best one in terms of lighting. You really know how highlight areas and create points of interest with light.

My only complaint is the auto closing doors. To keep the game running smoothly? IKD. I'll add a small review when I'm done. :) Kudos!

• That was mostly Spooks with some extra lighting from me, and in some instances I just took what he had placed and tweaked it.

Necessary evil I'm afraid due to perf issue of the open map design.

Yeah, just to be sure when it comes to performance most doors will auto-close after a minute. Jarring, I know, but at least there were a couple of occasions when I was testing and I got scared shitless by the sound of a closing door just to realize it auto-closed. Guess they're good as meta-jumpscares at least! :laugh:

• Like 1

My FMs: The King of Diamonds (2016) | Visit my Mapbook thread sometimes! | Read my tutorial on Image-Based Lighting Workflows for TDM!

Don't dare miss this release! This is a big beautiful beast!

Yes, it's a mammoth mission :D

Huge and complex area!

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

That's definitely an issue with LOD stages. I downloaded the mission from the in-game downloader and tested with all LOD stages, but I couldn't replicate your issue. Do you have some custom settings in your darkmod.cfg perhaps? Put it in a spoiler tag and I'll compare it to mine to see if I can pinpoint the problem.

My FMs: The King of Diamonds (2016) | Visit my Mapbook thread sometimes! | Read my tutorial on Image-Based Lighting Workflows for TDM!

An almost incongruously good map for a first effort. The narrative flowed really well, making great use of voice acting and readables both. Map got wonderfully confusing in the way that Bridgeport FMs tend to, only occasionally verging towards being irritating, which I'd consider a win.

I nearly missed the optional objective, especially given that it's delivered on a side of the map that I can see players never visiting. Still, it was a delight to see a

pagan ritual

in action, and all the more so for the protagonist's sarcastic delivery. :P

One minor critique:

I got stuck in a dining room for, I kid you not, ten minutes as I patiently waited for the room to -not- have someone loitering around inside of it. You probably know which one I'm referring to. Maybe stagger the AI patrols in there a little more?

Other than that, great job.

• Like 1

An autoexec.cfg to be exact:

seta image_lodbias "-1"

seta tdm_lod_bias "-1"

seta r_brightness "1.238095"

seta r_gamma "1"

Ah yes, I'm guessing when the lod bias is a negative number the LOD entities won't work. Just temporarily change tdm_lod_bias to a positive value, like 3 which is the highest menu setting, and you should be good.

Edited by Spooks
  • Like 1

I enjoyed this mission very much. Especially, the various objectives, the mazelike city and the

romance

I tried to get all loot, however:

Is there a way to reach the room with the horse without noclipping? I did reach the "out of bounds" area by balancing over the fence (even without being seen), but I cannot jump into the window or the rim under it from the neighbouring roof.

Playing this on Expert, and enjoying it very much. I have completed all the objectives I know about, but there are still a few places I can't get to. (Sorry, I can't see how I'm supposed to put things in spoiler tags.) For instance:

How do I get into the Pipe Station? There's a notice ona board suggesting someone at the Factory has a key, but I can't find that person. [Edit: got up there on my own but still never found any key for the locked doors of the Pipe Station.]

Also, are we supposed to be able to open the chest in the nocturnal fiddler's room?

Edited by Marbrien

Thank you for the kind words and welcome to the forum! Yes, a person with a mechanic's helmet/upturned welding mask is patrolling around the Factory near where you start, look for him in the little back street or near the factory front entrance. For spoilers, put the thing you want to say like this: [tag]text[/tag] and replace "tag" with "spoiler". As for the chest in the fiddler's room:

Another letter at the top floor of the wine warehouse hints that he's usually playing the lute for Skipper's hosts. If you come back to the tavern he may have the key on him...

WTF is wrong with people voting this mission "Good" in Appearance?. This Mission is Excellent in Art Direction, Architecture and lighting! And the more you discover, the better it gets. Even with no lights on you can still see the blue/greenish light produced outside through windows.

As I mentioned before the lighting serves it's purpose well at highlighting and creating points of interest without any exaggerations or making the map to look like a Christmas tree. All well balanced.

The best way to approach the city is to take things slowly. The city left me wishing for more and I wish we could discover more places inside other buildings in future episodes since I think the city has the potential of continuity. Great job!

Edited by Taquito
  • Like 3

I really used some truckload of noclip but did not find...

- The stash for wich the pipe is the key

- That mentioned Pagan ritual

- How to get rid of that captain without killing him

- The bone's place where i may meet King

- The room above the kitchen that marissa must not enter