Photo

Fan Mission: Cleaning Up the Neighbourhood by some1stoleit,bikerdude (2019/02/19)

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#51 lowenz

lowenz

Uber member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2051 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 07:01 PM

but as I tried to roast the pagan I found in one of the rooms and nothing happened (I knocked him out, threw him out on the street from the window and stuffed him into the brazier nearby to roast for his crimes - without success, so I had to kill him with the sword), 

Let's call call him a TOUGHER-TAFFER :D

Edited by lowenz, 09 April 2019 - 07:02 PM.

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

#52 Tafferboy

Tafferboy

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 08:03 AM

I have been playing mission I have noticed a lot of mappers it seems forget to add a damage entity in or above the fire - maybe a file a bug-tracker to get a damage sim added to all fire entities for 2.08...

Edited by Tafferboy, 11 April 2019 - 08:23 AM.

#53 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12922 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 09:33 AM

Won't be done. Design decision long ago against this to not hurt ai walking through fires.

• Tafferboy likes this

#54 Thieving Barbarian

Thieving Barbarian

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 01:33 PM

Wont be done. Design decision long ago against this to not hurt ai walking through fires.

Since the AI can already find its way around any other obstacles, what's preventing fire objects from being treated like any other objects - the AI would simply not walk through a fire and would find a way around it? Or are the fire entities different from other types of object, let's say a crate for example (being light emitters or whatever), so that it's invisible to the AI pathfinder? I've been playing a lot of Thief Gold lately, and there the AI would not step into a fire voluntarily (though I did throw a few unconscious apebeasts into one), and that game's pathfinder routines are ancient - the object model was probably completely different, though.

As it currently is, the player can use lit torches or lamps to climb up onto, or go inside a lit fireplace with impunity - if the system relies on the mapper placing a damage entity into a fire (for example, to hide the use of that old Thief staple of a secret passage hidden in a fireplace), then it will be inconsistent across maps - in some maps fires do nothing, but in maps where they are somehow important, it would do damage and then tip off the player that there's something important enough there to make the mapper place a damage entity there  (if the system indeed works like that).

#55 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12922 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 03:35 PM

A mapper can place monster_clip over the fire to keep AI from walking through it. If the fire isn't substantial enough to make the player think the AI would be hurt walking through it, m_c can be skipped.

• Judith likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users