The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

I think I'll post a screen of what I'm currently working on later that day. Want to know how to improve that buildings. :)

Yes, show us, I would be interested in seeing what you or anyone else are working on in the background. ;)

Hi, just started using Dark Radiant a few days ago. Got some ideas for a few FMs, so we'll see if I can learn DR without confusing myself too much by using UnrealED shortcuts.

I've included a picture of a very early stage, just thought it'd be amusing if I do finish to see how horrible it looked to begin with. Also wanted to just say hello and this seems like as good a place as any. Some of you folks might remember me from the old Ion Storm Austin forums.

post-10518-0-58029700-1345041990_thumb.jpg

Edited by CrashT

Welcome aboard, CrashT!

What you have there is pretty similar what I had on the 'canvas' when I first started DR. Later, after learning more and a bit of rebuilding, the thing turned into the scene the player starts around in a FM called "The Alchemist."

As always, I recommend starting with a small FM, as that gives you a quick overview of all the facets of mapping: geometry, brushes, details, patches, lights, entities, AI placement & patrols, objectives, conversations and so forth. There is a lot to learn but it will be fun.

Do not hesitate to ask for help if you run into trouble!

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

leawesome.jpg

so ehm the whole thing consists of 6 parts which I have set here up to show that the whole thing is repeatable:

Wall arch(grey)

middle arch(blue)

rib(white)

vault(violet)

pillar(white)

pedestal(grey)

I will also cut the pillar in half for wallarch and the keystone is missing since I still can't decide what keystone would suit it.

I am quite happy with result and now to achieve personal goal of self improvement, I need to texture this bastard.

Edited by pusianka
  • Like 1

And there you have it. I visit a gaming site, and learn something about doors! Priceless! :laugh:

I have to say I really didn't have much appreciation of things like load-bearing and tensile strength until I started reading editing threads and learned why you should rarely to never use stone or brickwork for a roof, and you should recognize where pillars or support beams should go, or how the walls work, when you're thinking about how a roof or whatever is supported. I really like when I learn new things about how buildings work. Once you pick it up, it starts being a general thing you look for in all sorts of places (like the support beams on doors).

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I need to texture this bastard.

Good work, I would probably go for a romanesque kind of feel (even though it kinda looks like gothic) - something like this, well cut but irregular stones (and not perfectly identical, machine cut rows):

7304579686_94445c0672_z.jpg

Hey folks,

still didn't post screens of my work but it will happen soon. Today I'm having a little problem with a swinging lamp. The lamp swings fine, it plays a creaking sound and the light I bound to the lamp swings fine, too. But I want the lamp to have a nice little glare (like in Fiasco at Fauchard Street) so I bound a func_emitter with the tdm_glare_lamp_01.prt particle to it. It moves with the lamp but somehow it spins around like crazy and flickers sometimes. Is there a better way to get a moving particle or is this simplay not possible? Thank you. :)

Edit: Ah, come on... Somehow I'm a bit confused today. I just realized I posted in the wrong thread... Sorry. -.-

Edited by Seuchensoldat

Yeah, that's me. Decided it was past time I put my talent where my mouth is or something like that.

A few more shots of what I've been working on. I've got the basic layout for the FM I have in mind blocked out, so I created a test map to work on how the buildings should look. The environmental art side of level design has always been my weakest part, so I wanted to focus on that for a bit.

post-10518-0-26352200-1345907290_thumb.jpg

post-10518-0-87592900-1345907296_thumb.jpg

Certainly nothing wrong with that so far. The street looks awfully wide and flat though. Most streets would be much, much thinner. At the very least, adding some patches to make the ground a bit uneven (quite easy to do, see http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/13338-newbie-mapper-tip-making-uneven-ground/ ) would add a lot.

The details look promising. I agree with Spring with the wideness. Also medieval streets seldom are straight:

Bergerac_Medieval_Streets2_400x300.jpg?iact=hc&vpx=174&vpy=296&dur=4275&hovh=194&hovw=259&tx=95&ty=110&sig=116144316755589209030&ei=ygY5UL2tF-T74QSp6oHgCA&page=1&tbnh=125&tbnw=166&start=0&ndsp=50&ved=1t:429,r:10,s:0,i:103

SA_Street.jpg?iact=hc&vpx=475&vpy=439&dur=6134&hovh=192&hovw=256&tx=117&ty=68&sig=116144316755589209030&ei=ygY5UL2tF-T74QSp6oHgCA&page=1&tbnh=131&tbnw=175&start=0&ndsp=50&ved=1t:429,r:22,s:0,i:140

It is often a good idea to use some kind of reference image to guide building process. Google image search is a great aid!

Just simple curvature, bumpiness or detail broken stonework etc will make the scene much more interesting.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

What the others said. It also helps to have more contrast in lighting - you don't have to leave the entire scene pitch black, but stronger lights and deeper shadows tend to do architecture good. The next step is breaking up rectangularity with odd angles and shapes.

The detailwork you are doing is good - love the edge of that building!

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

That's a good scene! You've got various kinds of buildings, you've got machinery, market stalls and posters, and the pools of light bring life to it. (Note that this would be a very easy place to sneak through. You might have had that in mind, of course, just noting.)

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Thank you! :) Yeah, that place should be easy to sneak through because it's the starting point of the mission. Similiar to Fiasco at Fauchard Street. :D The guard in there is just a placeholder because I don't want to mess up the dimensions of the mission.

Edited by Seuchensoldat

Are both models new?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax