The Dark Mod Forums

Bikerdude: - questions

Bikerdude

I have had this occasionally in a map, but have never been able to figure what causes it. Essentially when in a room the game will go completely black(but depending on which way the player is facing or where they are in the room, its almost like there is a VP thats stuck in closed mode when in fact there is no VP.

I wouldn't have believed it if this wasnt the second time Ive seen this happen now, on the same map no less.... It was a bloody light, a light I tells yah...!!! And it wasnt embedded in anything just a small little cage light etc.. Well just like before I deleted and re-created said light and bobs yer uncle, maybe this should be added to the wiki..?

I foudn out this actual light textures cauysing this - lights/tdm_lanternlight_4fold_small_snd

What have been doing and this might be the cause, is just changing the texture on a light to this, and then entire area inside the light radius get the black out effect. I it possible that I need to add a sound to the light entity itself top stop the black out issue happening..?

Edited by Bikerdude

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are two other light textures with a similar name. Is there some reason you've chosen to use the sound modulated version? Upon examining all three shaders I can see that for some odd reason the sound modulated version uses a different falloff image. Perhaps that's the cause of the problem.

yeah that I think Im maybe trying to use it incorrectly, as in placing a speaker in the same location as the light entity and thinking the light would flicker in-sync with the sound. I assume what i shoudl do is add the sound shader to the light entity itself ..?

Edited by Bikerdude

Another question:

And this one as been bugging me for bloody ages, the " atdm:map_of " (MapOfTerritory) enity being invisible so I cant select it to move it is Seriosuly annoying because

It either:

1. has its origin in the wrong location

or

2. showing in the wrong location on the map when located with the entity list inspector..

Also how do I add this entity to map manually..? as it dosent appear in the entity list...

Edited by Bikerdude

It sounds like you probably copied it over from another map or prefab or something. To make it work you need the def. Copy custom.def from the startmap pack. You also need from startmap:

The inventory icon image: guis\assets\game_maps\map_of_icon.tga

The shop icon image:guis\assets\purchase_menu\map_of.tga

The fact that this seems to be cropping up with some frequency all of a sudden makes me wonder if something hasn't been broken somewhere.

I have also noticed that the AI in "The Outpost" have become exceptionally keen eared as well. At the beginning of the mission, if I'm on the gravel path, they hear me and start commenting about the noise, but I don't recall this happening in 1.02. I'll have to go back and check this however. Is there still a way to download 1.02?

At the beginning of the mission, if I'm on the gravel path, they hear me and start commenting about the noise,

I'm almost certain they didn't in 1.02.

Yep. I've noticed this in the FMs I've played under 1.03. I've only played 2 (one being Fidcal's alpha) so I didn't want to assume that it was 1.03. But, I think it is.

And I had some other "bad" behavior once they all got to me in Fidcal's alpha... I think I told him about it. And, if not, I gots pictures and savegames and stories such to relate.

Basically they get alerted and agitated and end up stuck, you could say old-school-zombified, striking a pose...

BIG SPOILER AHEAD!!! SCREENSHOT OF FIDCAL'S UPCOMING MISSION!!!:

shot00543t.jpg

These guys are frozen like that and I can start poundiing on any one of them without the others reacting. There is another dude to the left as well, he is repeating the same bark at an interval, but the rest, these lot, are silent.

The above, IMO, is not actually going to spoil anything beyond a glimpse into a room, nothing is given away especially, but I wanted to make sure those that don't want even a glimpse would not be given even a glimpse.

Glimpse. Glimpse. Glimpse.

(there, I said it 3 more times; that's fixed me I think)

Edited by Aprilsister

First get grayman to check your visportals. Beyond that you could experiment with higher values for the loss_open etc spawnargs on doors...

Its a bug then, because Ai that are behind close VPs at the north end of town are still being alerted. That said how could I use the following args on free standing VPz?

- loss_open

- loss_closed

- loss_double_open

Would I use them on the FP..?

Edited by Bikerdude

I'm almost certain they didn't in 1.02.

The other day I was playing the original Return to the City. I took out the first guard with an arrow, (maid some noise) and everyone came to kill me! even the

Builder

joined in the party. I didn't think this was a 1.03 issue, I thought it was an issue with the original map due to portaling.

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

Question:

info_location speakers, how do I get one IL speaker to over lap another when the player is leaving one location and entering another. The current method of fading out one while fading in the other just dosent work as there can be a silent gap in between some ambients that's just plain useless. Whene as like have to proper speakers the sound overlaps..

The only dirty fix is to place a speaker at the intersection between the two info_locations.. which is just messy.

Edited by Bikerdude

Ok, read it again to see if I have missed anything and...

- info_location ambient speakers

• The sound is either on or off, there is no overlap of any kind.
  • The IL method waits to finish playing one sound before playing the next.
  • I can get a sorta over lap by raising the fovolume, but then said ambients are always playing.

- real speakers

• the sounds overlaps correctly as it would in real life, with no 'dead zone' or waiting for the previous sound to stop playing etc.

I have attached a map so you see what I mean...

The reason I/we need the overlap, is that some ambients take a sec or two to get started, so having an overlap prevents that deadly silence that pulls the player out of the game..

ambient.map.txt

Edited by Bikerdude