The Dark Mod Forums

I love this mod!

Xcel

I've enjoyed the Thief series since the start, and I just wanted to post here to thank you guys for this awesome mod, now I can play the game I love again with a fresh twist and an excellent engine.

I heard about this mod a long a time ago, but never thought to try it until now (reminded thanks to PCGamer UK posting about your latest patch). And I must say I am hugely impressed with what you guys have done, I mean DOOM3 -> Thief? Seriously? I didn't imagine that anybody could do that and then make it work this well, I'm amazed :D

In my humble opinion this is what Thief3 should have been, and hopefully what Thief4 will be.

Please keep up the good work!

Sincerely,

Your newest, and happiest fan.

Just be careful or you'll end up like me...

Barely able to stay employed due to my need to keep tabs on the mod's progress at work... :laugh:

Serious addiction. :wub:

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Just be careful or you'll end up like me...

Barely able to stay employed due to my need to keep tabs on the mod's progress at work... :laugh:

Serious addiction. :wub:

Joking aside, have someone at work, really, commented on your behaviour? :D

When I explain my mapping at my job, it takes some explanation to go through the series of Thief, what Thief is, what a FPS is, what Doom 3 is, what's the purpose/objectives of the game...

Thanks, both guido81 and Xcel...it's always nice to hear some positive feedback. It's the fuel that keeps us going. :)

I like to add a little anectode ...

A few years ago when my daughter had been about five years old she catched me while I was playing the "Overlook Mansion" in Thief 3. Natually I decided not knocking out poor guards on their heads while my little daughter was watching. So I ghosted the mission telling her a nice fancy story why Garrett has to reach that lady at the top of the mansion. And we weren't a Thief of course but a good guy not to be seen by all that bad guys... ;)

She had been very impressed by all of that experience. And since asked me once in a while "when we do play that game again with that Garrett??"...

What you guys build is a really huge archivement, even getting better with every new version and FM release... so recently I decided to choose Biker's "Business as Usual" to play with her as this is a fine small ghostable mission without any creepy undead or forced violence. okaay this time after finishing the FM a few guards had some swellings on their had. but heeey my daughter grown older meanwhile and can stand it by now being a "good" Robin Hood type thief and enjoyed giving the city watch some headaches :D

Why I'm telling you that? It tells something that I did choose TDM to showcase taffing fun and not T2 (still being a huge Thief fan). And DR is one of the reasons for that. A big Thumbs Up to everyone involved in the mod and FM mission building... Keep the spirit guys!!

Ohh.... by the way, my daughter did get so impressed by Biker's FM that she now prefer and enjoy building rooms, decorations, pools, etcetera in DR instead of doing so in Sims 2. Nothing wrong with that change for me, not at all ... :laugh:

"To rush is without doubt the most important enemy of joy" ~ Thieves Saying

Ohh.... by the way, my daughter did get so impressed by Biker's FM that she now prefer and enjoy building rooms, decorations, pools, etcetera in DR instead of doing so in Sims 2. Nothing wrong with that change for me, not at all ...

Lol, a future mission-builder in the making, I hope. ;)

Your story strikes a chord with me, as my oldest daughter is six, and I've shown her some of TDM in a similar fashion.

I've often thought when decorating rooms with furniture, paintings, lights etc. that kids would love this 'dolls house' effect. Maybe someone should build a nice simple conventional house with empty rooms and put lots of furniture in a warehouse for kids to place in the house.

I've built rooms with family & friends in dromed.

Like I'll make a room and then ask them to help me decorate it.

It's a fun thing to do together with people that aren't necessarily interested in the game itself.

My mother was very interested in having lots of plants and green wallpaper in her room.

My gf wanted to put a little river with a little bridge going through the middle of her room, with a door to a balcony overlooking a massive library-garden with a pet burrick ... so in it all went. :laugh:

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

When I explain my mapping at my job, it takes some explanation to go through the series of Thief, what Thief is, what a FPS is, what Doom 3 is, what's the purpose/objectives of the game...

I just leave it at 'digital art'

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

• 2 weeks later...

I've often thought when decorating rooms with furniture, paintings, lights etc. that kids would love this 'dolls house' effect.

yap indeed. Exactly that! :)

My daughter is not at all speaking English or much experienced with anything PC. That a young child just observing is capable to do basics with ease tells much about DR as a intutive fine toolset!

Lol, a future mission-builder in the making, I hope. ;)

Who knows ... If I will come up with anything nameable I gladly will let her do interior decorations etcetera ... she's already my toughest critic if a texture and deco fit a scene or not. :)

Speaking of potential female mappers... I always found it very remarkable that there had been so many female Thief FMA's. Is there any one female TDM mapper already?? Some female author(s) wouldn't hurt, eh guys?? ;)

Edited by fllood

The only one that I know of is angua who has been working on a big undead FM along with greebo but also now raising a family so it will be many months away. (but worth waiting for I promise you!)

Someone I really really hope will take up TDM mapping is Lady Rowena. Her Thief FMs have been great. I think she was put off TDM by the blackjacking but I'm not sure. Morgan was another great Thief FM maker but I don't think she does anymore. There have been others. So I guess it's just a proportional thing - the more TDM mappers we get then the more female mappers I'm sure. :)

The only one that I know of is angua who has been working on a big undead FM along with greebo but also now raising a family so it will be many months away. (but worth waiting for I promise you!)

Cannot mark an X on the spot why but to me FM from female authors have sometimes a really different feel (for good). maybe that's just a subjective impression?

the more TDM mappers we get then the more female mappers I'm sure

Most games build on id Tech 4 aren't typical games usually attracting female players. A pity none from the Thief community got attracted so far.

Someone I really really hope will take up TDM mapping is Lady Rowena.

+1 :)

I would also love to see Gaetane give TDM a try. but I think it is very unlikly she'll do any more mapping after finishing her Magnum Opus, The Black Frog.

Edited by fllood

gaetane is in the final stages of The Black Frog. Its going well. I'm going to ask her about the Dark Mod and what she thinks. I do think having someone to talk to about it, another woman, might help. She's so nice, I really like her. You know, all the female taffers that make FM's rock.

This belongs to this thread..

The new AI behavior is awesome. While map testing I had a narrow corridor where a noblewoman meets a citywatch guard. It looked like they will not be able to fit through and I was expecting them to get stuck into each other.

Nope, instead the guard said "Greetings, mylady", stopped and turned sideways to make way for the nobility. Both of the AI got gracefully past each other and were on their way.

The AI upgrades really bring this mod to life! :wub:

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Sounds good. These little touches do add life. I'd heard of this but not yet had a chance to even play test - at least not with AI recently. :( Except rats. Rats is good. They move more freely now and you don't even need path points.

something is wrong with those screenshots... maybe brightness/contrast is just scaled up too much, or maybe ambientworld is set at .20, or something... but... that just doesn't look like darkmod somehow.

I think those shots are from before Rebb's ambient fix and likely before "ambient world" was a TDM feature. Darkfate has some pretty old screens (many of which are insider stuff that were obtained questionably... ;) )

I hope Gaetane returns to try TDM now that it has advanced beyond where it was back then.

As far as female FM authors, Angua is a co-contributor to "The Outpost" and "The Dead Gathers" so we now have two on record. :)

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)