The Dark Mod Forums

Finishing my missions

Garreth

Hi all i will be releasing part one and 2 of my first mission this weekend, but i need some assistance,

how exactly do i trigger the end of a mission? i cannot seem to find an entity that dous that, i can use addobjective but that just gives a new objective, the wikki is unclear about that or i cannot figure it out.

Taf you, you taffin taffer

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Yes, you need an "Escape" objective

It doesn't have to be an escape objective...the mission will automatically end as soon as the player has completed the last mandatory objective.

What if i have no other obj other then getting to the exit?

Do i still need to use a trigger?

And is the end mission nr 1 in the objectives editor?

And i try making moving water with a forcefield but nothing happens, i stare blank at the wiki page for hours and couldent puzzle it.

I am stuck at this

n-plane force field (no vertical)

uniform[x] = Mag * cos( theta )uniform[y] = Mag * sin( theta )uniform[z] = 0

Where Mag is the desired magnitude of your force.

I just want the field to push me on the X axis,

So is it? argument-- uniform,

def-- X = 1 * cos ???

I am such a noob he :)

I am more of a builder then editor of text files, i still havent got to the readables part...

blush.gif

And i looked at the campaign page it would be interesting since all parts fit like a puzzle but then i would have to wait with release till all parts are scripted and done and that is almost a full game of data if i need to polish all parts first it would be another year further in time. So i guess it is best releasing it part by part and just numbering it with p1 p2... and at the end compiling it to one big campaign

Edited by Garreth

Do i still need to use a trigger?

No. The mission will automatically end as soon as the player has completed all the mandatory objectives.

I realy do not understand, it keeps adding an objective but i have no idea how i can fulfill it with a trigger, so lets say i put an add objective at mapstart, it would not show up as an objective in the main menu before you start playing, it would just get added when you spawn, and how is statechange entity connected to obj entity.

For all my maps i would just use one exit so one objective get to that point the rest would be a puzzle with readables and logic thinking.

Concerning a "getting to the exit" objective...From the WIKI (as posted above by nbohr1more):

The standard "exit here when you're done objective"

• Place a (large!) brush in the location you want to work as the exit.
  • Give it texture textures/common/clip
  • Make the thing into an entity info_tdm_objective_location
  • Give it name player_exit
  • Go to objectives editor and make an objective "After you're done, go to the exit" or something like that. Set it to be INCOMPLETE and mandatory.
  • Set enabling objectives. Here you need to set which objectives need to be complete for the exit to work. If you have objective numbers 1 and 2 must be completed in order the player to exit, you need to put text "1 AND 2" in the enabling objectives box. If you need to have objectives 1,2 and 5 completed you need to put "1 AND 2 AND 5"

You can check the objective numbers in the objective editor window under "#" mark.

• set the component to be:
  • Type: item in location (NOT item in info_location!!)
  • Entity: any entity with SDK-level spawnclass idPlayer (Note the capital "P"--won't work without!!)

NOTE: You must make the brush for the info_tdm_objective_location large! I have had this objective completely fail when using a vaguely player-sized brush. Expanding the brush to fill the entire room made the objective work.

If, for some reason, you do not use a large brush like is suggested, then at least put it at an angle so the player is forced to spend more time walking through it.

Edited by PranQster

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

It's not clear what you are trying to do but I'll hazard a guess.

You want an objective to NOT show in the objectives list before the game starts but to appear after the game starts? If so then make it invisible and make it visible later. See http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Objectives_Editor#To_make_an_invisible_objective_visible_later

As the above articles says, you need to trigger it from something such as a lever, door, or a trigger_once entity which you'd place where you want the objective to appear as a new objective.

If you want the objective to appear right at game start then I think now you can target the atdm:target_setobjective_visibility from worldspawn. That is, just select any worldspawn brush and give it the property target abc where abc is the name of the atdm:target_setobjective_visibility.

If that doesn't work there are various workarounds. I've sometimes created an auto open door in a blue room set to trigger only when opened.

If your map has no other objectives at all then I do not know if that might be a problem. It certainly would look strange at the objectives menu at start up.

If you have two separate maps then you set the objectives independently. If you are somehow connecting them so the player can go back and forth between them like a mini-hub then just put the final (only?) objective in the appropriate map.

These are the properties I set on the forcefield in Heart:

applyImpulse 1

start_on 1

uniform -240 0 0

The uniform property is the force along the directions X Y Z so my one created a force of 240 from east to west. For North/South do something like 0 240 0 or combinations I guess for angles.

Note that several players of Heart said they could make no headway against the force even running whereas most players could. I never found any explanation or solution to that.

I got it to work, so easy sometimes i smoke more then is good for me :) it helps me building and comming up with crazy stuff but learning is something else, anyway im on track again, created my first readable ;) real easy with the editor, nice work btw

I need bloodspats, the ones from doom with the opacity are not showing up in game

I compiled it to pk4 put it in a map, not working...

No splash screen no objectives, and when trying to start the map it just go's a screen back.

i only could upload the pk4

http://www.megafileupload.com/en/file/321989/cara-town-p1-pk4.html

There is a copy of the splash screen inside and text files

Can someone look at this and possibly correct my fault, i seriously checked everything.

O and this mission is bad desighn, the large area prevented importing human entity, to hard for my 2.8GHZ single core to dmap, if someone wants they can put in 2 humans and a horse, not neccesary though.

If it shows the splash and loads i am satisfied

2.8 ghz single core he said, so it's a p4 or Athlon xp? Possibly a Celeron..

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

PENTIUM 4 2.8 HYPERTHREADING

2GB DDR333

XP HOME EDITION

It dmaps but then it go's wrong when the console pulls up, it just hangs

Only when there are AI entity's in it if i make a closed of box no door around the entity it works, so it must be gigantic box and the ai pre calculation.

But still then something should manage the processor from overflowing with info.

Maybe i can mess around with my bios a bit.. let me try that.

Nope no advance, something in the code is is overflowing my processor, after writing the proc what is the engine doing?

It writes something ?

Edited by Garreth

It might be that the cache state is never writing out to the file.

Also, the AAS and CM files get written, perhaps that happens after the proc ?

I think that Mortem mentioned using a dmap switch that doesn't process CM or AAS?

Try:

dmap noCM map_name.map

and

dmap noAAS map_name.map

And see if you can finish either or both separately.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

when i dmap with no CM it hangs on_ merge leaf nodes it go's to 21046 then hangs

When i dmap noAAS it finishes dmap no problem.

i found this. http://test.modwiki....om_3_AAS_system

it describes the leaf nodes

Portalisation

‿In order to calculate reachabilities and routes between areas (as will be done later on), another representation is required for the convex hulls (areas). The BSP tree does store all the information needed, but the representation cannot easily be used to calculate relations between areas. A representation with areas that are bounded by faces would be much more suitable. These faces are polygons that either represent solid walls or lead to other areas. With such a representation adjacency of areas can easily be determined, and it is easier to find or calculate geometric properties. Such a representation can be created by portalising the BSP tree. This technique creates portals between all the leaf nodes defined by the BSP tree. These portals are the faces that bound the areas‿

We have already seen how areas store indexes to these faces. The representation of the face itself is in also in AASFile.h.

Edited by Garreth