The Dark Mod Forums

shadowhide's mapping thread

Shadowhide

Fine, fine. Here's a test map, ye ungrateful beastie. <_<funcportal.map.txt

Keep in mind that func_portal distance is not orthogonal to gravity. If you've got a func_portal 800 units up in the air and the "portal_dist" is "800", of course it's not going to open.

Can't grasp the smallest functionality, and you dismiss the whole as impossibly "fucked up"...

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

Fine, fine. Here's a test map, ye ungrateful beastie. <_<funcportal.map.txt

Keep in mind that func_portal distance is not orthogonal to gravity. If you've got a func_portal 800 units up in the air and the "portal_dist" is "800", of course it's not going to open.

Can't grasp the smallest functionality, and you dismiss the whole as impossibly "fucked up"...

thanks,i will look at it

Proceed with caution!

thats why my func_portals isnt working correct :wacko:

so how the fuck i should optimize ? change size of visportal ? func_portal's suck,tdm editing suck

Edited by Shadowhide

Proceed with caution!

show a picture of the problem area, editor shot and in game is best.

Sounds like you're trying to close a hole in the skybox if its that high. In which case you can probably just use caulk.

Caulk will cut world spawn where it touches, leaving gaps to skybox which screws people up.

BUT, caulk does NOT do that to func_statics. So you can lay a func_static over stuff like this to 'hide them'.

But again, show pics and it's much easier to describe exactly what you need to do.

Editting with DR doesn't suck, you just need to learn the tricks. All engines have their 'suck' and ways around it. Anyway, DR is just the editting tool, it's the engine that is causing you problems.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

so how the fuck i should optimize ? change size of visportal ? func_portal's suck,tdm editing suck

I suggest you get used to it. Every single modern game engine uses some form of Visleafs (visportals), or LOD, or both, to optimize performance.

Half-life 2 has "Hint" and "Skip" where Doom3 has its equivalent Visportal and Nodraw to optimize world geometry.

Crystal Dynamics (Deus Ex: HR, et al) uses visleafs and LOD for optimizing performance and geometry.

Even the antiquated Dark engine's air brushes seperate areas into glorified visleafs that the engine can cull away.

Crysis and Crysis 2 used an excessive amount of LOD, but also culled the world geometry in other ways.

Even Minecraft's distance fog and "chunks" is a form of LOD.

Neither DR nor Doom3 engine are the problem. Optimizing is not a magic equation that inexplicably makes every map run at 60 fps. You must know how your tools work. In what conditions do visportals close? In what conditions do they open? What entities benefit most from hide_distance? How do func_statics interact with visportals? Once you are confident that you know how visportals work, then and only then can you plan out a map that is easy to optimize and visportal. If you start building willy-nilly with no planning or forethought, you won't build something easy to optimize. Continue to wrestle with these tools, and eventually you will be able to grasp how they work and how best to use them.

One last thing:

• If you can be patient learning this brand-new skill, we will be patient in helping you.
  • If you cannot be patient learning this new skill, then map editing may not be a hobby for you.
  • If you continue to cuss and throw fits, then nobody will be able to help you (nor will want to help you).

If you really, truly, want to make great maps -- swallow your pride and be eager to learn. It can be very rewarding, and it can be something you can be proud of. :)

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

If you continue to cuss and throw fits, then nobody will be able to help you (nor will want to help you).

+1

Increase the portal_dist. If the player can also get across the roof then you might need some triggers or script to change it somehow. But if the player can get across the roof then I guess performance is not that serious so do you really need the func_portal. My guess is the player can't get across the roof so just increase the portal_dist.

In other words if the portal is 800 in the air and the portal_dist is 800 then increase it to about 1400 to 1500 or so.

You must know how your tools work. In what conditions do visportals close? In what conditions do they open? What entities benefit most from hide_distance? How do func_statics interact with visportals?

i know that all and even more

Increase the portal_dist.

its not a solution.i will make map a little more claustrophobic and change the size of visportal.maybe that make a func_portal work correct

If you really, truly, want to make great maps -- swallow your pride and be eager to learn.

i have no pride,i feel rather pathetic

If you cannot be patient learning this new skill, then map editing may not be a hobby for you.

thats it

Edited by Shadowhide

Proceed with caution!