The Dark Mod Forums

RPGista's mapping and modeling thread

RPGista

• 4 months later...

I'm reminded again of how much fantastic work can be found in this thread. One can really get lost in the details of these last stone pieces, thanks very much for making it happen. (By the way, I've got a ship bringing home such a dolmen in its hold from a journey to a faraway land.)

So work continues on those forest assets and the stone age dolmen. But Im going to feature them on a new concept map Im working on, so they should still take a while. It started as a scene I wanted to create so as to show them off in a cool environment, and the idea grew and grew. Its getting smaller and smaller again, because of the lack of time and the amount of effort.

This is tantalising. That tree in the dolmen image alone is already brimming with potential (especially for bordering off open natural environments). This, together with Dram's recently submitted forest and rock assets, would have transformed Down by the Riverside and many other missions besides, had they only been released earlier.

• Like 2

I really appreciate that Dragofer, being a big fan of your work - yours is actually the mission Im currently playing, Riverside, and its just amazing. Its true that we need a lot of nature assets here in TDM. It wasnt something I was able to do before, but Im getting to a point where I can bring in some useful original resources for our mappers... Now that you mention it, I should probably just release things as I go, instead of waiting for the WIP map (which, by the looks of it, shall take a good while to complete).

But aha! just a small correction, the model shown here is actually a menhir, that phallic shaped stone monument. The dolmen will be coming shortly and its a bunch vertical of stones in a circle holding a big horizontal one that would be the "roof". It looks like a proto-house. I started by modeling some using photo references, but there are several gorgeous ones that you can get from 3d scans online for free. I have a few that I did some work on. Gonna be releasing something soon for us. Cheers, man.

Edited by RPGista
  • Like 3

Great, that was just the reply I was looking for, I agree with your plan of releasing them as they're made.

A dolmen, you say? That has quite some Stonehenge vibes, I can imagine that being ideal for rituals by bonfire or moonlight. It'll be quite a mysterious forest that's made with all these new nature assets the TDM community has seen in recent times.

• 1 month later...

Looks great! I'll add it to the mod assets, along with a LOD entity (unless there's a license issue?).

• Like 2

Springheel - Thats great to hear, but Im afraid I didnt make any lower poly versions to be used as LOD stages... I only created the shadowmesh, which is a decimated copy of it. I could try looking into that if you feel its worth it. The license is CC Atribution, I hope thats fine.

Judith - The model is the same as the original. I guess its gonna do fine in most situations.

Springheel - Thats great to hear, but Im afraid I didnt make any lower poly versions to be used as LOD stages...

It's okay, I already made lower poly versions.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Very impressive! I don't know that I've seen an outdoor scene of that quality in TDM before.

• Like 1