The Dark Mod Forums

Now that 1.08 is here and a number of missions have been updated

Oldjim

Oldjim: if I understand you correctly, the answer is no, no and yes.

• You do not have to delete 1.07. 1.08 is a differential update which will automatically make changes to your 1.07, 1.06 or 1.01 installation.
  • You do not need to delete the missions you have already downloaded. Most of them are unchanged. But check out the in-game downloader under New Missions: it should notify you of mission which have been updated since you last downloaded them.
  • You should delete your old save games, because they will not work under 1.08. In fact, due to the different way missions are handled, you should use the cleanup option on all installed missions. This will erase unnecessary folders in your doom3 folder and free up HD space.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

[*]You should delete your old save games, because they will not work under 1.08. In fact, due to the different way missions are handled, you should use the cleanup option on all installed missions. This will erase unnecessary folders in your doom3 folder and free up HD space.

With reference to this, @Jim you obviously need to finish playing any mission under 1.07 before nuking the save game etc.

All missions ought to work with 1.08. In fact, I believe they are tested during the release process to see if anything is broken.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

All fm folders under the D3-root directory can be deleted. No need to do it via the clean up function of TDM, that would be quite cumbersome. Just keep four fm-pk4 inside your darkmod/fms directory and you're fine.

All missions ought to work with 1.08. In fact, I believe they are tested during the release process to see if anything is broken.

I did test all whether they launched ok, but didn't check if anything else was broken, I also playtested a few FMs to the finish, as some other probably did too, but I doubt we managed to do that with all FMs.

We attempt to test every mission, though it's not always possible to test everything inside each mission. There were only two significant issues we noticed that needed updates to the mission itself; one is Thief's Den, which should already be fixed, and the other is In Remembrance of Him, where the fix is known about but RPGista hasn't had time to add it yet.

All fm folders under the D3-root directory can be deleted. No need to do it via the clean up function of TDM, that would be quite cumbersome. Just keep four fm-pk4 inside your darkmod/fms directory and you're fine.

So what do I do exactly with my old FM folder and my WIP stuff then? Should they be put in the "darkmod" folder since it's the new root folder now?

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

You can have your WIP folder anywhere inside your D3-folder, I believe. That actually caused quite the issue on the Dark Radiant side of things at first. :)

Your fms should be contained in darkmod fms and they should stay there. But the FM-folders under ".../Doom3/" can be deleted unless you want to backup the screenshots.

Now updated

I had a slight problem with adjusting the video settings as the default was totally blurred and I had to do a bit of guessing to get a better picture before setting it to 1680 x 1050

Regarding updated games the new games list doesn't show any updated games from when I originally installed them but checking the fms folder I see that St Lucia and the Training Mission updated as part of the install process and The Creeps was updated on 18th Sept 2012

• Like 1

I had a slight problem with adjusting the video settings as the default was totally blurred and I had to do a bit of guessing to get a better picture before setting it to 1680 x 1050

This. Also, after doing an incremental update to 1.08, when playing a mission (RTTC v2) I found that pressing ESC freezes the entire game so I have to kill it manually. I have just now d/l'ed everything from scratch and hope that this will solve the problem. I'll post an update after making a new attempt.

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

Edit: Have you been playing the mission or does the screen already go black during start? If it is the latter, continue reading, if not, ignore the following.

This might be an issue specifically with RTTC v2 I ran into myself. By any chance, did you have RTTC installed and updated it to RTTC v2? If so, it is very likely you have a startingmap.txt or something like that inside your "fms/RTTC"-folder, which point to a wrong mapfile. The authors renamed the mapfile between updates, which leads to this problem. You can solve it by simply removing startingmap.txt.

Yes they were. It was fun flying through all the missions as fast as possible, but they were all able to be completed for me anyways.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

This might be an issue specifically with RTTC v2 I ran into myself. By any chance, did you have RTTC installed and updated it to RTTC v2? If so, it is very likely you have a startingmap.txt or something like that inside your "fms/RTTC"-folder, which point to a wrong mapfile. The authors renamed the mapfile between updates, which leads to this problem. You can solve it by simply removing startingmap.txt.

I found that this might be only an issue when running the modified flyby-version of RTTC v2 that ShadowHide created. I loaded and ran ToSL just fine. I will try and check the normal version of RTTC during the next days, to see whether it's an issue with the modified version only.

Another strange thing is that when I enable Vsync, the game freezes instantly. This might be a problem with the driver (ATI on Win7-64/HD6950), so I am going to investigate this further.

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.