Jump to content
The Dark Mod Forums
stgatilov

Beta Testing 2.08

Recommended Posts

On 5/25/2020 at 4:55 PM, Apiai said:

Black objects with FM Down By the Riverside

river-2020-05-25-01-07-40.jpg

river-2020-05-25-01-09-11.jpg

This skin bug has occurred a lot recently in 2.08 with models whose file paths contain a hyphen (“non-extinguishable”). @stgatilov has recently put all skin definitions into quotation marks to avoid warnings when reading these file paths, and he’s also reworded the associated console error. Paradoxically those changes seem to correlate with the appearance of this bug. I don’t think there were any changes to skin behaviour?

Also, I can’t reproduce this on my end, neither with old nor new versions of the .pk4: the skins work even if they don’t have quotation marks. I do know that nbohr1more was able to get rid of his problem by redownloading the FM.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm running into an issue with projected lights. The behavior is different from 2.07 to 2.08, and to my (non-expert) eye it seems to be a regression. I have a light that projects on a wall (for lighting paintings in a museum). I created a simple test case. As you can see in DR, the light does not reach the floor:

dr.thumb.jpg.fb8c3f57f167346513e13871f74ebdce.jpg

In the XY side view (bottom right) you can see that the light boundary doesn't reach the floor. In DM 2.07, it looks like this:

nowandthen_2020-05-28_13_27_03.thumb.jpg.825aebdf2337280358ac5a79456fb8cb.jpg

The light cuts off on the wall, before it reaches the floor. But the exact same map in DM 2.08, the light reaches the floor:

nowandthen_2020-05-28_13_03_29.thumb.jpg.06b8289d8c508275c59a5650a6d5c1b3.jpg

The only mention of projected lights that I can find is this. I can't tell if this is related to what I'm seeing:

On 3/8/2020 at 1:59 AM, stgatilov said:


4) Fixed bug in stencil shadows computation, which was introduced in 2.07 (#5106).
   It affects all parallel and projected lights when mapper runs dmap on a CPU with AVX.
   It is strongly recommended to re-dmap all FMs dmapped with 2.07 if they contain such lights.

Is this a new bug?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, joebarnin said:

I'm running into an issue with projected lights. The behavior is different from 2.07 to 2.08, and to my (non-expert) eye it seems to be a regression. I have a light that projects on a wall (for lighting paintings in a museum). I created a simple test case. As you can see in DR, the light does not reach the floor:

The light cuts off on the wall, before it reaches the floor. But the exact same map in DM 2.08, the light reaches the floor:

Did you try it in 2.06? Did you try it with shadow maps?
Could you share a test map?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, joebarnin said:

Here is a test map: test.zip

Well, the image is the same in 2.06 and 2.07, but different in 2.08.
It does not depend on shadows, you can even disable them. Hence, it is not related to the changelog entry that you referenced.

Perhaps someone should bisect SVN history and find the culprit.
Could I ask @duzenko do this? 😉

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, stgatilov said:

Well, the image is the same in 2.06 and 2.07, but different in 2.08.
It does not depend on shadows, you can even disable them. Hence, it is not related to the changelog entry that you referenced.

Perhaps someone should bisect SVN history and find the culprit.
Could I ask @duzenko do this? 😉

Over the weekend

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably

Revision: 8100
Author: duzenko
Date: пятница, 29 марта 2019 г. 18:57:44
Message:
Forced anonreclaimer's culling codepath
----
Modified : /trunk/renderer/RenderSystem_init.cpp
Modified : /trunk/renderer/tr_local.h
Modified : /trunk/renderer/RenderWorld_load.cpp
Modified : /trunk/renderer/RenderWorld_portals.cpp
Modified : /trunk/renderer/Interaction.cpp
Modified : /trunk/renderer/tr_light.cpp
Modified : /trunk/renderer/tr_lightrun.cpp

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't get it

It seems as if the BFG treats the light_end param as relative to light_start rather than light_origin. Not sure if it's an intended change or they simply didn't notice the difference

I think it's not practical to revert 8100 so I'm changing the BFG code to match D3/TDM rules.

At revision: 8744

image.png

BTW Could anyone explain the difference between light_target & light_end?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, duzenko said:

Is there any way to show all idPlane fields in the QuickWatch window? (I.e. include the 'd' member)

It already works like that, because idlib.natvis has a rule for it.

Judging from your screenshot, the natvis rule doesn't work for you. Plane data must be inside parentheses, and in your case they are surrounded by braces.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've noticed that the new rain in 2.08 doesn't stop when it hits a water entity. And I can't put any solid ontop of it as the player obviously can't access it then, so i'm a bit stumped with what to do.

 

The water entity is just a bare bones standard atdm:liquid_water. I tried adding the spawnarg "particle_collision_static_blocker" to it but to no avail.

 

I am using the auto-generate collision static version of the rain too btw.

 

FQ06ish.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello everybody,

 

I am currently betatesting Painter´s Wife and this strange crash occurs - it happens to me and also user Krillmar and I was recommended to post it here:

Once I am trying to use key to unlock secret (the small showcase with mini Smurph-like houses in a library) it always crashes - i was tried to delete darkmod.cfg and use freshly created one - to no avail

I have updated my Nvidia drivers from 26.21.14.4274 to the latest ones - still, no avail.

 

Edited://

It turned out not to be a 2.08-specific bug and has already been fixed/worked around by creators of the mission.

 

 

Edited by Tarhiel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Goldwell said:

I've noticed that the new rain in 2.08 doesn't stop when it hits a water entity. And I can't put any solid ontop of it as the player obviously can't access it then, so i'm a bit stumped with what to do.

The water entity is just a bare bones standard atdm:liquid_water. I tried adding the spawnarg "particle_collision_static_blocker" to it but to no avail.

The liquid case is present in testmap. Does rain work properly there?
I think the problem is not with the fact that it is liquid, but with something else.
Could you send some sort of map to me? I guess privately...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Tarhiel said:

I am currently betatesting Painter´s Wife and this strange crash occurs

In general, FMs that are currently in beta should not be used as example to troubleshoot new version of the engine. There are too many variables to take into account, and usually bugs are result of mapper's work in progress. Released missions that have been thoroughly tested and updated by mappers post-launch are much more reliable source material, and even those can have bugs that were not caught around the time of release.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, stgatilov said:

The liquid case is present in testmap. Does rain work properly there?
I think the problem is not with the fact that it is liquid, but with something else.
Could you send some sort of map to me? I guess privately...

 

I put a body of water in the ground in the test map and had the same problem as seen below. Here's the testmap to help replicate the bug rain.pk4

Hxzhs15.jpg

 

9G3wMiI.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Goldwell said:

I put a body of water in the ground in the test map and had the same problem as seen below. Here's the testmap to help replicate the bug rain.pk4

The reason this water is ignored is that its material does not have the "water" content flag.
It is merely "translucent", so it is skipped because it could be a light flare/rays.

There are two levels of determining whether an object is blocker or not. The first one checks if the entity should be added at all, and this one can be forced with a spawnarg. The second (internal) level happens during collision detection, it skips 1) deformed materials, 2) dynamic models, 3) materials without solid or water content flag, 4) all entities in case you have set collisionStaticWorlsOnly spawnarg on emitter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, stgatilov said:

The first one checks if the entity should be added at all, and this one can be forced with a spawnarg

 

What spawnarg and what setting do I give it specifically?

 

I tried both spawnargs with 1 or 0 set and none of them made a difference.

 

Are you able to stop the rain going through the water entity in the testmap? and if so what did you do to stop it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Goldwell said:

Are you able to stop the rain going through the water entity in the testmap? and if so what did you do to stop it?

You have to add water keyword to the material of the surface which you want to block rain.

All proper water materials should have this keyword, since without it player won't be able to dive into it. I know that one brush side is usually enough, but why not expect it on all water surfaces?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, stgatilov said:

You have to add water keyword to the material of the surface which you want to block rain.

All proper water materials should have this keyword, since without it player won't be able to dive into it. I know that one brush side is usually enough, but why not expect it on all water surfaces?

 

I guess therein lies the issue. I used a core material, one of the water overlays. Which is as seen below.

 

textures/water_source/green_plain_flat_thickmurk
{

	qer_editorimage textures/water_source/green_plain_flat
	noshadows
	twosided
	nonsolid
	{
		blend blend
		map textures/water_source/green_plain_flat
		alpha 0.9
		rgb 0.4
	}


}

 

After adding the keyword water to it, that solved the issue. However going through the material files and looking at it we have a lot of water surfaces that do not have that keyword attached.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh I spoke too soon, the material file for the one I used in my map does have the water keyword added but the rain goes straight through it still because of the translucent keyword.

 

Is there a way I can stop the rain without removing the translucent keyword with the material file below?

 

textures/water_source/water_dark
{

	qer_editorimage textures/water_source/water_dark
	discrete
	nonsolid
	water
	twosided
	translucent
	description "dark, semi-transparent clear water with normalmap"

        {
		blend bumpmap
		map	textures/water_source/water_green_local
		translate	 0.01 * sintable[time * ((( parm5 + 0.1) - (( parm5 || 0) * 0.1)) * 2)], 0.01 * sintable[time * ((( parm5 + 0.1) - (( parm5 || 0) * 0.1)) * 2.2)]
		scale 0.5,0.5
	}

	deform turbulent sinTable 0.0175 (time * ((( parm5 + 0.1) - (( parm5 || 0) * 0.1)) * 1.5)) 10
	{
		vertexProgram HeatHazeWithMaskAndDepth.vfp
		vertexParm 0 time * (( parm5 + 0.1) - (( parm5 || 0) * 0.1)) , time * ((( parm5 + 0.1) - (( parm5 || 0) * 0.1)) * 5)
		vertexParm 1 (( parm6 + 1.5) - (( parm6 || 0) * 1.5))
		fragmentProgram HeatHazeWithMaskAndDepth.vfp
		fragmentMap 0 _currentRender
		fragmentMap 1 textures/sfx/vp1
		fragmentMap 2 textures/water_source/vp_water
		fragmentMap 3 _currentDepth
	}
	{
		blend blend
		map textures/water_source/water_dark
		alpha 0.7
	}


}

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Goldwell said:

I guess therein lies the issue. I used a core material, one of the water overlays. Which is as seen below.

This is material for water overlay, but not for water surface.
I.e. it is the material which is intended to be shown all over the screen when the player dives in. But not for the water surface itself.
If you look into tdm_water.mtr, most of materials there have "water" keyword. The rare material which don't should be fixed, I think.

The translucent keyword should not do any harm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm really confused.

 

So why is the rain going through that body of water in the screenshots I first posted?

 

It's being blocked by other entities and brushes in the map, it appears to only be the water entity that fails to block it.

 

Edit: If you change (in the testmap) that surface on the water to the texture "textures/water_source/water_dark" and then do the dmap/runparticles console commands. The rain will go straight through it as seen here

 

KXnKaJD.jpg

 

uTM0RGW.jpg

 

XxW3rFE.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Goldwell said:

So why is the rain going through that body of water in the screenshots I first posted?

Ok, I tried the material that you cited.
It has the turbulent deform, that's the reason it is excluded.

Something to think about. Maybe continue discussion elsewhere?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, stgatilov said:

Ok, I tried the material that you cited.
It has the turbulent deform, that's the reason it is excluded.

Something to think about. Maybe continue discussion elsewhere?

 

Sure thing!

 

I'll ping you back on the relevant dev forum thread about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...