The Dark Mod Forums

2.10 Crashes - May be bow \ frontend acceleration related

wesp5

Well, my idea does not work.

In reality, the penis gets created/recreated/reattached many times:

anim urinate                   models/md5/chars/guards/proguard/animation_urinate.md5anim
    {
	   prevent_idle_override

frame 1		call overrideLegs
	   frame 30		attach atdm:penis_s penis hand_l
	   frame 30		sound snd_rustle

frame 55	 	reattach penis LeftHips_Dummy

frame 70	    destroy penis
	   frame 70		attach atdm:penis_urinating_s penis_urinating LeftHips_Dummy
	   frame 70		sound urinate

frame 340	destroy penis_urinating
	   frame 340	attach atdm:penis_s penis LeftHips_Dummy

frame 375	reattach penis hand_l
	   frame 425	    destroy penis
	   frame 425		sound snd_rustle
    }	

As you see, the penis is already destroyed at the end of animation.

And then there are two more ways to delete it:

1. "attach" command looks at "remove_delay" spawnarg, and if it's positive, then schedules removal of the attachment
  2. penis also has "tdm_suicide" script attached, which also checks the same "remove_delay" spawnarg and deleted the same entity after this delay from script thread.

So, why do we have 3 ways to destroy the penis?

Damn I just had this bow crash but didnt have the debugger. :( 
Please mention me if you guys come up with a solution in here. For some reason I feel like Im getting it more than others, it might be because I use a lot of arrows when testing my missions. 

1 hour ago, kingsal said:

Damn I just had this bow crash but didnt have the debugger. :( 
Please mention me if you guys come up with a solution in here. For some reason I feel like Im getting it more than others, it might be because I use a lot of arrows when testing my missions. 

Perhaps because you have too many proguards and they pee too much.

I think the core parts for it to trigger is when player switches weapons and then shoots bow at the same time when one of these guards perform "urinate" animation.

Maybe we should try to make a test map with horde of these guys, making sure they can run "urinate" animation.
By the way, does it has some condition? I can't find any references to this animation in def files, but I think there should be some condition...

On 11/4/2023 at 12:35 PM, stgatilov said:

Perhaps because you have too many proguards and they pee too much.

I think the core parts for it to trigger is when player switches weapons and then shoots bow at the same time when one of these guards perform "urinate" animation.

Maybe we should try to make a test map with horde of these guys, making sure they can run "urinate" animation.
By the way, does it has some condition? I can't find any references to this animation in def files, but I think there should be some condition...

Interesting... hmm. As far as I know that animation is only called by  a path_anim or path_cycleanim entity in a map or maybe by an authors custom script. I have seen it in missions before, so I know its been used. 

It could be buried deep somewhere in the AI's core code though, which would be... an odd choice to say the least.

Edited by kingsal

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/14/2023 at 1:24 PM, stgatilov said:

image.thumb.png.5e0018586f2b0facbc0b734fd538efe4.png

"player1_weapon" entity usually has two attachments: so-called aimer, and arrow.

In this crashdump, the aimer is here, but arrow attachment is dead: it was deleted beforehand, without clearing the attachment reference. And since this code does not check e for NULL, it calls a method on NULL object, which certainly crashes.

I'll of course add a check for NULL here, but it would be interesting to understand what kills arrow attachment, and why this problem does not happen every time.

UPDATE: Since everyone reported the arrow to be missing just before the crash, I suppose the real issue is that arrow entity is occasionally lost...

Sorry if this was already reported, but Ive experienced pulling back the bow and the arrow model just disappearing. The bow will still be there, ill fire and the projectile will still launch, but not arrow on the view model. Strangely it doesn't always crash when that happens. 

This was definitely already mentioned :) Just confirming the arrow disappearing, shooting, but then not crashing, which is odd.

EDIT: Ill start attaching the debugger. I have lots of guards in the mission but none of them are using the urinate animation. Does it happen randomly somewhere in the code? I can just try adding 50 guards lol.

Edited by kingsal

• 1 month later...

Hmm...

I might have a case that does not involve the penile animation issue...

2.12 Beta - The Transaction

Spoiler

If you immediately head to the shop where the book buyer is located ( right alley, then forward, then first door on the right )

and trigger the in-game cinematic. After the cinematic plays if you shoot the Revenant with a fire arrow then walk towards it TDM will crash.

Sadly, I have yet to reproduce this while running in debug with symbols. Solid as a rock when debugging.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

• 3 months later...

As of the latest 2.13 Dev Build (dev17026-10712):

I am unable to reproduce the crash in The Transaction

@Daft Mugi@datiswous@Frost_Salamander@snatcher@kingsal @Araneidaecan you repro in 2.13 dev ?

Oh well, had a good run but I was finally able to reproduce on 2.13.

I had to disable Subtitles. I guess they were helping to prevent the crash in some odd way.