Jump to content
The Dark Mod Forums

Functional keypad


MirceaKitsune

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, chakkman said:

Nice, albeit a bit too modern for my taste in this setting. ;) I mean, if you spin the idea on, then, why are there no screens in the game, if keypads already have them? Seems a bit out of context IMO. Just my opinion.

Keep in mind this is for a cyberpunk campaign I'm creating, which will have computers and other scifi elements mixed in with the existing assets. For the standard theme this should in fact use different models or skins to look more rustic, possibly removing the screen and replacing it with a bulb. The screen is a decision I went for later, it was meant to be a sort of neon lamp for the color to indicate its status... in the end I went ahead and added a screen as well which you can set to nodraw to disable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, MirceaKitsune said:

Keep in mind this is for a cyberpunk campaign I'm creating, which will have computers and other scifi elements mixed in with the existing assets. For the standard theme this should in fact use different models or skins to look more rustic, possibly removing the screen and replacing it with a bulb. The screen is a decision I went for later, it was meant to be a sort of neon lamp for the color to indicate its status... in the end I went ahead and added a screen as well which you can set to nodraw to disable.

 

Very cool. Maybe you find the time even to replace the digital screen with the mechanical numberwheels from the ordinary locks? Then it would be quite fitting for the Dark Mod setting.

 

21 hours ago, chakkman said:

why are there no screens in the game, if keypads already have them?

...mabye because nobody has used screens till now...?😀

@nbohr1more: Maybe this should be moved to Assets...?

Edited by JackFarmer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

there is a mission where you have to press 3 books in a sequence then a picture frame opens and you can steal the picture if you have 3 books you use 3 keys or 4 keys in the mission must man in a tomb 4 stone slabs press sounds make then the coffin opens as. the mission is called I do not know

Edited by Heuli
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, JackFarmer said:

...mabye because nobody has used screens till now...?😀

Which makes me think that there are no screens in this universe. 😮

Anyway, of course up to the imagination of the mapper. :) It just seems a bit off to me, that's all. All the other technology is not THAT advanced.

Edited by chakkman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Heuli said:

there is a mission where you have to press 3 books in a sequence then a picture frame opens and you can steal the picture if you have 3 books you use 3 keys or 4 keys in the mission must man in a tomb 4 stone slabs press sounds make then the coffin opens as. the mission is called I do not know

That's "The Heart of St Mattis".

My missions:           Stand-alone                                                      Duncan Lynch series                              

                                      Down and Out on Newford Road              the Factory Heist

                                                                                                  A House Call

                                                                                                  The House of deLisle                                                                                                  

                              

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, JackFarmer said:

@MirceaKitsune

You sure that's packed correctly?

image.thumb.png.8c18dc26b1b54dcbd7e29973b76fda5a.png

Strange, it shouldn't be doing that. That question mark box typically appears when a model definition can't be found. Can you see and add the keypad or buttons as a func_static from the model browser?

EDIT: I see the problem. The def defines the path as "models/darkmod/electronic/keypad.lwo" but I included it in "models/electronic/keypad.lwo" when packing. Sorry about that! Just change the directory structure for now. I should re-pack the pk4 but wanted to wait in case I'll update anything else.

Edited by MirceaKitsune
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

https://streamable.com/1tlmte

 

1. The console reports, that the script seems to miss an "'#endif" line.

2. After pressing a random button for the first time, a confusing sound effect is audible.

3. The display should show the player's input


All in all, cool work, but even for my steampunk mission design (this is from the last mission from my campaign which contains a lot of  Inventors tech items) it looks way too modern.

If you could make this look more fitting for the general DM setting  (rusty pads, leave out the letters and search for alternatives replacing the "#" and "*", find a more suitable display maybe with the numberwheels as I have already suggested), then I would definitely integrate it in my next work.

 

Edited by JackFarmer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, JackFarmer said:

https://streamable.com/1tlmte

1. The console reports, that the script seems to miss an "'#endif" line.

2. After pressing a random button for the first time, a confusing sound effect is audible.

3. The display should show the player's input

All in all, cool work, but even for my steampunk mission design (this is from the last mission from my campaign which contains a lot of  Inventors tech items) it looks way too modern.

If you could make this look more fitting for the general DM setting  (rusty pads, leave out the letters and search for alternatives replacing the "#" and "*", find a more suitable display maybe with the numberwheels as I have already suggested), then I would definitely integrate it in my next work.

Thanks for the feedback! I'm in the process of fixing remaining issues and missing features. Since you expressed wanting to use it I'll be making and including rustic skins as well for the next version.

The sound is the keypad going into input mode, it can be disabled via spawnarg if you want. As for a screen showing the player's input, that would require a GUI setup, doable but would require massive changes I didn't have planned so I hope it's alright if I skip that... in my campaign I'll be justifying it as a security feature, someone standing behind you can't see the code you typed in nor the number of digits, you have to know the full sequence then confirm manually.

Here's what I have so far skin wise, let me know how you think it looks. Remember you can use unlit skins if you don't want glowing numbers but rather have them painted, this is just the default configuration: Once I post the update I'll also provide a better description of how to set the spawnargs for the result you want, maybe default some of it in the prefab.

campaign(2023-03-2418-59-58)(558.25644.32324.25).thumb.jpg.6bbf14af898c18ef1ef62ff12cbb50d3.jpg

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is way better IMO, you think you can replace the numbers with some more old looking like this?

 

image.png.17ca730445e8082aa43d4d95eb8a180d.png

I think you should search for alternatives replacing the "X" and the "O"...they look like you travelled to a parallel universe and stole it from the there available Playstation 2 controller. 🤭

 

Thank you for working on this item!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, JackFarmer said:

This is way better IMO, you think you can replace the numbers with some more old looking like this?

image.png.17ca730445e8082aa43d4d95eb8a180d.png

I think you should search for alternatives replacing the "X" and the "O"...they look like you travelled to a parallel universe and stole it from the there available Playstation 2 controller. 🤭

Thank you for working on this item!

At least the numbers in the rustic version look roughly the same... albeit those are a bit more "Times New Roman" by comparison, I used the Monospace font provided in Manjaro as it struck a good balance. Not sure what else to use for the cancel and confirm buttons... I grabbed the symbols from the existing decals for those, will see if I can use better textures as a quick solution.

44 minutes ago, freyk said:

It is a nice design, but i can be even nicer. Just do a google image search for "steampunk calculator".
(or "steampunk keyboard")

There are some interesting designs for sure. I initially wanted to base mine off a steampunk calculator I did in fact have when I was around 7, likely one of the first digital calculators in the world... I can barely remember it as this box you plugged into a power outlet with a bright green LCD display, must have been something amazing for its day :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here we go! Fixed a lot of little issues and included prefabs for the rustic versions: If you need to change anything particular, check the spawnargs the new prefabs override on the keypad and button entities... skins colors and sounds are all customizable, I even wrote editor vars explaining what they do when you select each field in DarkRadiant.

electronic_keypad_v1.1.pk4

a4ca16b.jpg

rS73Pk8.jpg

utKVfa2.jpg

ATQUGqd.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If its meant for TDM-stock inclusion; perhaps a more 'antique' digital display technology. you need to down-grade it a little.

What about EDGE-LIT Digital displays? Just etched glass, small incandescent lamps and excessive craftmanship...

See:

https://industrialalchemy.org/articleview.php?item=1080
https://industrialalchemy.org/tubepage.php?item=10
https://hackaday.com/2017/03/23/before-there-were-nixie-tubes-there-were-edge-lit-displays/

 

edge-lit-led-retrofit.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recent Status Updates

    • The Black Arrow

      I was playing Skyrim, got bored fast. Got back to The Dark Mod just for one mission, played "Somewhere above the City" which is not really a great mission but still good, as in above-average.
      My biggest regret is living in this country, where there's a heat wave, I am sweating at 20c and I really wish for temperatures below 5c.
      · 10 replies
    • Skaruts

      Is there something wrong with the forums lately, or is it my browser? I've been having trouble formatting posts, and just now I couldn't format anything at all.
      I'm using Vivaldi.
      Usually I have to: select text, click bold, nothing happens, select again, click bold, then it works. 
      Same for other stuff, like creating spoilers, bullet points, links. Nothing works the first time. 
      · 1 reply
    • STiFU

      Back from a spontaneous 1-week trip to Lanzarote with wife and son. I hope beta testing has been going well...
      · 1 reply
    • datiswous

      Whenever I eat fried chicken these days I think of this scene in The Black Mage..

      · 1 reply
    • Mortem Desino

      Even though I've been absent a long while, I still find myself dreamily wishing for the free time to do TDM mission development. When working on new research projects I'll find myself involuntarily thinking, "hee hee this could be a fun texture or readable or bit of map architecture." Or I find myself absentmindedly responding out loud to odd noises with a drunkguard-like "must've been rats!"
      · 3 replies
×
×
  • Create New...