The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: A Night in Altham

joebarnin

i am looking to play this FM and can't wait to try it next week. It looks like a good FM with a vast & open ended area to explore. I am getting swamped by TBP this very time

Edited by taffernicus
  • Like 1

hex-237553415B315D3741

Thank you for this mission, which I've enjoyed playing, on Expert.  I've completed all the main objectives, and done all the good deeds.  But despite revisiting all the areas I know about, I'm stuck on 3,976 loot - apparently there's 4,721 in total, and I'd like to get to at least 4K for the optional objective if I can.

I can recall finding:

Spoiler

1. A ring on a skeleton and a chest in a spider cave in the pagan area.

2. Coinstacks in a store room in the cathedral, above and behind some shelves, hidden by bales.

3. A cash box on top of a bed in the apartments area.

Any hints for other stashes I may have missed please?

A couple of small gripes.  There doesn't seem to be a key for the bishop's room in the cathedral, and it's a bit of a drag having to revisit it each time

Spoiler

via the ducts and without a map

in order to progress or revisit the pagan area.  Also, in the caves after getting

Spoiler

the buck

there are some crevices that are narrower at the bottom than further up, and look like you might be able to get through them if you jump up and over.  It's possible to get stuck in at least one of these.

Edited by Marbrien
  • Thanks 1

@Marbrien

Glad you liked the mission. You found some of the harder loot - and you are so close to 4k! I assume you got all of the paintings (behind glass) in the cathedral, and the 3 hammers. A few of other ideas:

Spoiler
  • In the Penthouse, there are a couple of statuettes on the fireplace. Turn them both, and a secret compartment opens.
  • As you're climbing out of the pagan caves (just before you get to the orb), there are a few ancient arrowheads in a nook.
  • At the very beginning, in Freeson's shop, there's a diamond hidden in a jar
  • After the warehouse with the bots, there's a purse up on a beam (just before you get to the room with the secret door with an arrow supply).
  • There's a ring on Alan's finger.
  • In the mansion past the river (the building with the basement), in the living room there's a big fireplace. The gargoyle on the right has a ring on its head.
  • In the warehouse, first floor, there's a purse in a barrel.
  • In the warehouse top floor there's a chest in the broken elevator. There's other loot in the warehouse too.

Anyway, hopefully that'll get you over 4000.

Actually, there is a key to the bishop's room - it's on a chair.

1 hour ago, peter_spy said:

You keep using assets fom my Builder Compound pack that is no longer available, you could at least credit me for it. That applies to your other FMs too.

My apologies - I completely forgot to credit you in this mission. Now and Then does give credit in the readme.

Sorry.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've just gotten through the pump house and experienced a system hang while  

Spoiler

reading the homeless peasant's note about where to sleep.

I had to ctrl-alt-del and end the darkmod process to get any use from my computer. I will restart it and try again soon.

edit: got further, having trouble finding the key for door 7C. clues/location? I needed to look more closely in 

Spoiler

room 9.

Later I had a strange experience in room 11, coming down the ladder to the East side: I pressed Esc to bring up the menu, but only the cursor appeared; I didn't see menu options of hear and clanks like the cursor passed over them. Quickloading and trying again let me open the menu, but it was weird.

Edited by hightide

new section, new post:

I'm in the apartments with the elevator; I've gotten three keys for the various floors, but they don't work on the doors from inside the elevator shaft?

also, I have a key for someone's attic that I never found a place to use.

The keys don’t work on the doors - they just unlock the buttons to call the elevator, or the buttons within the elevator. Once you get the keys, use the elevator to get around. 

The attic key was back in the previous apartments, the Garden Tower Flat (I think that was the name). It provided a short cut getting from that apartment to the hallway with a guard. 

On 1/5/2024 at 10:53 PM, hightide said:

I've just gotten through the pump house and experienced a system hang while  

Reveal hidden contents

reading the homeless peasant's note about where to sleep.

I had to ctrl-alt-del and end the darkmod process to get any use from my computer. I will restart it and try again soon.

edit: got further, having trouble finding the key for door 7C. clues/location? I needed to look more closely in 

Reveal hidden contents

room 9.

Later I had a strange experience in room 11, coming down the ladder to the East side: I pressed Esc to bring up the menu, but only the cursor appeared; I didn't see menu options of hear and clanks like the cursor passed over them. Quickloading and trying again let me open the menu, but it was weird.

Strange things you’re seeing. There was a hang/CTD early in beta, but that was fixed. If it happens again, capture your log files (darkmod.log, qconsole.log). 

14 hours ago, joebarnin said:

The keys don’t work on the doors - they just unlock the buttons to call the elevator, or the buttons within the elevator. Once you get the keys, use the elevator to get around. 

The attic key was back in the previous apartments, the Garden Tower Flat (I think that was the name). It provided a short cut getting from that apartment to the hallway with a guard. 

I didn't realize I wasn't on the top floor already, and thought the elevator was gone and I had to rope arrow around 😅

In the cathedral, I'm looking for the combination to the 

Spoiler

north lock in the lab. the note says "(Reynard) already know(s)" it, but do I?

I've input one combo and picked a lock, but I'm not sure they did anything.

15 hours ago, hightide said:

I didn't realize I wasn't on the top floor already, and thought the elevator was gone and I had to rope arrow around 😅

In the cathedral, I'm looking for the combination to the 

Hide contents

north lock in the lab. the note says "(Reynard) already know(s)" it, but do I?

I've input one combo and picked a lock, but I'm not sure they did anything.

Hello, i recommend to slow down your travelling and enjoy every square inch of this great adventure. Maybe then you found a lot more to enjoy. Greetings. Tib

Looks like I am vertically challenged. I took forever to get out f the "main generator" room because i didn't realize that

Spoiler

the ceiling can be rope-arrowed but nothing else can be.

Finally, I reached the workshop, and again I have no idea how to get out of that place. I could reach level 1 by jumping off of a small pole (?) in the center, but now I have no idea how to move up further.

2 hours ago, bunnyboy said:

Finally, I reached the workshop, and again I have no idea how to get out of that place. I could reach level 1 by jumping off of a small pole (?) in the center, but now I have no idea how to move up further.

On the second floor of the warehouse, head to the southeast corner - behind some crates you'll find a ladder up.

And just in case you need help at the next floor,

Spoiler

look for a way to climb around the big barrels.

On 12/12/2023 at 9:42 AM, Heuli said:

Thanks for your help, I missed the numbers

I didn't look properly

Hmm, not see any numbers in the closet with the lion statue. Looked all around, even moved the boards... Where should I be seeing them? Perhaps this is a bug?

4 minutes ago, Justice01 said:

Hmm, not see any numbers in the closet with the lion statue. Looked all around, even moved the boards... Where should I be seeing them? Perhaps this is a bug?

Spoiler

The numbers are in the Prayer Garden. Use the vision potion in the garden, look around for writing - it changes when you use the potion. 

Just now, joebarnin said:
  Hide contents

The numbers are in the Prayer Garden. Use the vision potion in the garden, look around for writing - it changes when you use the potion. 

😳 I was trying to "see" the combo on the wall in the closet but didn't realize they were right in front of me on the plaques... Thanks!

I'm a little late to the party but congrats on this monumental release. Really enjoying it so far and I'm finding the story very immersive! I have however, hit a bit of a wall:

Spoiler

I've managed to gain access to the Pagan compound. What now? I can see something that could be moved but can't see how. I've also tried climbing but no luck there. I tried firing a noise maker through a gap that attracted an elemental but other than that, I am truly stumped!

Edited by Johnnytheboy76

6 hours ago, Johnnytheboy76 said:

I'm a little late to the party but congrats on this monumental release. Really enjoying it so far and I'm finding the story very immersive! I have however, hit a bit of a wall:

Hide contents

I've managed to gain access to the Pagan compound. What now? I can see something that could be moved but can't see how. I've also tried climbing but no luck there. I tried firing a noise maker through a gap that attracted an elemental but other than that, I am truly stumped!

Spoiler

There's a switch on the rocks on the east side of the compound. You probably missed the bit where a pagan used the switch to open it - it will open a rock/door and lead to the next area. You may want to reload a save before you woke up the elemental.

• Thanks 1

This was a really awesome mission, and one that I've had most amount of fun with. The pace was really good between stealthing vs just knockout and run around a lot looking for things.

Things I absolutely loved:
1. The Scroll mechanic
2. The Vision potion mechanic
3. The sewers system, both the entry and the storyline involved.
4. The cameras were nice, with an ability to disable them or just timing things right

A few small things I felt would make it better
1. Getting out of the underground maze is very annoying since there is absolutely no directions. Maybe even just having mushrooms pointing the right way would be awesome!

• Like 1

That was fun!  A very impressive, sprawling map with lots to do.  Love it!

I did get stuck with

Spoiler

The cellar wall/leaking gas line business - had to look that up here to get further.  Likewise I completely missed the missing guy in part 4 - had to look that up too.

...For whatever reason, my installation is one where you don't fit through the gap in the wall, and the peepholes don't work either.  (Yes, it is Linux)

I never did find

Spoiler

A key to the underwater grates in the city.  Also, in the warehouse lift is a decorative crate.  It didn't seem to have anything in it, which made me think it was there to have something put in it, but I never figured out what, if anything.

But I did manage to figure out 3 of the 4 Good Deeds unaided.

• Like 1

Spoiler

The key to the grate under the bridge is in the nearby guard station. 

8 hours ago, tapewolf said:
Spoiler

Also, in the warehouse lift is a decorative crate.  It didn't seem to have anything in it, which made me think it was there to have something put in it, but I never figured out what, if anything.

Spoiler

I'm puzzled - there's a crate in the warehouse lift, but it's not empty. It actually has some loot.