The Dark Mod Forums

Female Thief?

firoso

Just as a thought, the stereotypical thief is male yes, but a female has the natural agility and light frame that make for an ideal thief so that is why I suggest that a female thief model and sound set be made for mappers that want to center a story around a female char. Feedback plz k thx.

I'm in yur forumz,

Makin' them frobbable.

Just as a thought, the stereotypical thief is male yes, but a female has the natural agility and light frame that make for an ideal thief so that is why I suggest that a female thief model and sound set be made for mappers that want to center a story around a female char. Feedback plz k thx.

Thanks for the suggestion. :) Although we already considered this waaaaaaay back in the beginning. Providing two Thief characters isn't a primary goal, it will be enough work for us to tweak one...let alone two, but so long as we aren't over burdened, there may very well be a male and female to choose from. Just can't make any guarantees on that.

Yes, this is mostly a matter of level design even in T1 and T2 but especially in TDM if it is to be not central character dependent. Seems to me that the minimum things needed to change from man to woman player are the mantling grunts/death shouts etc, and a girly weapon arm/limb model, etc. Perhaps the main character could be given unisex hands etc, not big and hairy, so could be taken either way.

The rest is storyline apart from special thought speech such as 'must be a way up there...' though I think these are mostly regarded as training aids and not popular with everyone. Or have I missed out anything?

I'm looking forward to a diverse range of storylines and characters in TDM missions! Maybe you should not emphasise the character you put in the TDM campaign so he's(she's) more bland and forgettable (the man with no name) :) (Ah! I see your smilies work for me in Opera 6; they don't at ttlg)

A female main character is on our list of things to do, but pretty low on that list.

A female main character is on our list of things to do, but pretty low on that list.

well this is all good feedback, kinda what i was hoping to hear actually.

I'm glad a lot of progress is being made. I really hope to see a gameplay video of all this new content soon, so far i'm more than impressed with TDM however.

I'm in yur forumz,

Makin' them frobbable.

Consisdering how much work the player character is to implement, far more than any other character, there's no way I'll be doing a female version - unless you'll be happy with a clone of the male thief sporting a pair of unconvincing breasts and a blonde wig.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Gameplaywise it doesn't change anything, so I don't really see a point in doing this.

If we're talking about gameplay, it doesn't matter if all the enemy AI are the same model, either. :) It's all about story.

I highly doubt anyone is going to want to do the work of animating a female player model, but it wouldn't be too hard to include a pair of female hands for the weapon animations and a female voice-set of grunts and death screams. You'll still have broad shoulders and a flat chest when you look in mirrors though. but like I said before, not a high priority for us.

If we're talking about gameplay, it doesn't matter if all the enemy AI are the same model, either. :) It's all about story.

That's of course not true as you well know. Since this game is about observation of the surrounding it would be pretty stupid to make all AI the same, because this would be the only feedback for the player to know what behaviour he can expect from a given AI. It would be like saying that it doesn't matter for the gameply in Tetris if you always get the same box.

So at least one different AI models is needed for different types of AI.

Gerhard

I knew you'd get technical. As you're well aware, there's no gameplay difference between a professional guard and a city watch guard. There's no gameplay difference between the models of a golden cup or a golden plate. There's no gameplay reason for having thirty different paintings, or showing the player a reflection of himself in a mirror, etc etc. The point is, there are other reasons to do things besides just affecting gameplay.

I knew you'd get technical. As you're well aware, there's no gameplay difference between a professional guard and a city watch guard. There's no gameplay difference between the models of a golden cup or a golden plate. There's no gameplay reason for having thirty different paintings, or showing the player a reflection of himself in a mirror, etc etc.

That's why I said

So at least one different AI models is needed for different types of AI.

The point is, there are other reasons to do things besides just affecting gameplay.

I hope you remember this next time you reflexively put down some new proposal. ;)

Gerhard

Just throw around the term "gameplay" wherever you like, why don't you.

Gameplay reffers to the entire experience, including story, immersion, as well as the technical aspects. So of course having a female player would affect gameplay if someone wants to make a female main character.

The only desicion here is if its worth our while to do it.

I agree with Spring - we can at least manage a voice set and some hands, that would be sufficient.

He's a small slim guy, the arms and hands are mainly covered by a fingerless bracer/glove combo, so I suppose from first person, or your shadow you could be male or female, but if you happen to glance in the mirror, there's no ambiguity.

post-51-1140798056_thumb.jpg

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

He looks like a badass/rough as rats!

Nice model!

Well to be honest if all it involves is changing the model and getting voices maybe either leave it till later or make FM authors do it. Maybe a community resources page would be a good idea.

Lots of objects and models and voices for people to use. That'd be cool, and leave less work for you to do.

i dont like playing as a girl in thief. make's it less thief like for some reason. maybe cause a guy character is so much more agresive and apealing. i dont like playing games as a girl character. never was a big fan of Tx2 for that reason.